Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Friday night at The Papillon in Southend, after a nightmare week trying to find a PA hire. Long story, we were told by a singer of another band that we can use his - before he backtracked 4 days before our gig. We suspect it was never ‘his’ to begin with…

Anyhoo we played ok, few mistakes here and there, some not so noticeable, one or two very noticeable on some new tracks (Sabotage and Higher) but we had a good crowd dancing and singing along all night, and another encore request. We’re happy with the way it went down. Rebooking might be a problem as they’re booked every Friday in 2024 already so we’re on the cancellations list and hoping for them to start Saturday night gigs (as they’ve been mooting for a while now).

Great crowd, good sound and decent pay. Hard to grumble.

• Like 12

Two cracking gigs for The Bridge this weekend. Hereford was a capacity crowd of 300, up singing and dancing from start to finish, paid very well. Saturday was a party in a local bar here in Cheltenham with around 150 people crammed in, again all singing and dancing all night. No drama, no calamities. All good. 👍 

IMG_8849.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 16

Pretty up close and personal!

Last night of a local pub, and they had invited us earlier this year based on the strength of a previous performance. Couldnt move in the pub and considering how cold it was inside, this was one of the warmest gigs!

Went pretty well all in all!

image.png

• Like 14

Another North Dorset gig for Mustang Sally, this time at Rocky’s bar in Gillingham. It’s a very well updated sports pub, but at first sight not an obvious venue for our melange of classic rock, country, soul and pop - but why? Well, the age profile was 18-35 for a start, and the hoooge flat-screen TVs stayed on all night showing (without sound, TG) Man-U losing to Newcastle. Add to this the arrival of an already-merry rugby team, rather ‘happy’ after a win, and this could have gone one of two ways... fortunately, after a slow start it got better and better, with table dancing, singalongs and many encores. Ok, it was a near midnight finish instead of 11:30 but no-one minded, it’s what good gigs are made of! Back home at 1:30am to a censorious glare from our cat. He was bought off with two very early breakfasts...

BF33A148-5194-49D6-B59C-4E320AECA57B.thumb.jpeg.4fc845212b6307647482a71c9d4ded03.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

Two cracking gigs for The Bridge this weekend. Hereford was a capacity crowd of 300, up singing and dancing from start to finish, paid very well. Saturday was a party in a local bar here in Cheltenham with around 150 people crammed in, again all singing and dancing all night. No drama, no calamities. All good. 👍 

IMG_8849.jpeg

Where was the gig in Hereford please?

• Like 1

Well... today's 4-6 venue turned out to be huge,  but the audience wasn't.

We were not expecting much but the audience we had were great. Two of them came because they've seen us before a few times.  We kept up a constant good-natured banter with the soarse audience "get ready, I'll do some crowd surfing in a minute". At one point we greeted a three year old and sang happy birthday to her baby sister via a phone. And we did a couple of requests. They were apologetic about numbers and desperately want us to come back.

Shame for them as it was a good paying gig and they did a lot of publicity. Just looks like sunday matinées wontwork for them.

To our surprise we all enjoyed the gig and ended up playing an 80-minute second set uncluding encores!

20231203_153455.jpg

20231203_153244.jpg

• Like 16

11 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Can you hear your Two10 when it is in landscape mode, or were you relying on your monitor? I find I have to have mine in portrait and even then I can’t hear it if space is tight and I am right on top of it. The sound seems to go passed my legs.

Firstly are you using earplugs to save going deaf?

If it's just a monitor you really should be able to hear it either way. Makes me think you are all pretty damn loud and not using earplugs.

Next order is get something to tip it so it points up at you. You might be able to turn down instead if earplugs are installed first.

• Like 2

Played in George Sq,Glasgow for the Winterfest. The usual market and funfair Chrimbo stuff. Very busy and great atmosphere. Was not looking forward to it at all due to worries about parking and the gear we had to use on shared stage. No worries though,all good with a decent onstage sound and seems it was great out front! Many thanks to The Clutha Trust for asking us! I played through a Line 6 combo using my Squier Classic Vibe P bass which is deffo living up to the hype! Loving it!

393617693_869175454706624_4129127308604258147_n.jpg

405850941_2024067077958897_8261864789629980775_n.jpg

407459183_10230578117337289_5385611727583631992_n.jpg

• Like 15

I’m in the house band for the Sunday jam in the local blues dive , been doing that gig for well over 25 years. It’s that time of year , snow tonight , and one greasy old drive home.

Great night despite the drive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It was our 13th gig as a band, so we knew that something just had to go wrong!

We played the Akēdo Gaming Bar in Lincoln last night (it's our second time there this year), which is a great little venue but with one of the smallest stages that I've ever seen.

The guitarist and I live relatively close, so we loaded up one car with gear and started out relatively early to give ourselves plenty of setup time (lots of snow, ice and fog on the road!).  Just as soon as we set off there is a text message from our vocalist:  He's just been in an accident.  Fortunately our singer is physically okay, but his car is not. 

Guitarist and I quickly divert to head north one additional hour and pick up the vocalist.  We arrive at the venue about 30 minutes before we're due to start playing; the organizer is relaxed and doesn't mind a late start.  Phew.

We played really well last night, maybe the best yet.  As I've mentioned on Basschat a few times, we always record our sets live.  This significantly added to the stress of a late arrival (with mic setup, etc.), but it all worked out in the end. 

There was a small boy, maybe 6 years old or so, in the audience (with some pretty serious hearing protection, of course).  He really seemed to enjoy the show, dancing around as we played our set. He and his mom are friends with our drummer and came up to the stage area afterwards.    We gave the boy a few souvenirs (setlist, drumstick, plectrum).  

Our singer crowd-surfed at the very end of our set, and fortunately survived.  No one broke any bones, this time!

• Like 14

A long trek through the semi-snow from Nottingham to Gateshead on Sunday to play at The Black Bull with In Isolation, for a final night of the Dark Side of the Tyne "festival".

It looked pretty grim in the morning, but it turned out that the worst snow was in Nottingham and once we were on the M1 it was fine. Unfortunately because of the weather it was a smaller turn out that the promotor and we had hoped, and hadn't been helped by Westenra having pull out of the opening night gig due to being snowed in at Whitby. However we played pretty well including all the new songs and to an audience who had mostly never seen us before and more importantly stayed to end when we sold a few CDs.

Here's a couple of photos from the gig:

408034855-10211143720065781-543846868777

407943212-10211143719465766-410133695563

Next one is on Friday at the Sal in Nottingham.

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

A long trek through the semi-snow from Nottingham to Gateshead on Sunday to play at The Black Bull with In Isolation, for a final night of the Dark Side of the Tyne "festival".

It looked pretty grim in the morning, but it turned out that the worst snow was in Nottingham and once we were on the M1 it was fine. Unfortunately because of the weather it was a smaller turn out that the promotor and we had hoped, and hadn't been helped by Westenra having pull out of the opening night gig due to being snowed in at Whitby. However we played pretty well including all the new songs and to an audience who had mostly never seen us before and more importantly stayed to end when we sold a few CDs.

Here's a couple of photos from the gig:

408034855-10211143720065781-543846868777

407943212-10211143719465766-410133695563

Next one is on Friday at the Sal in Nottingham.

You have some quite unique basses @BigRedX Nice one. Liking that one too.

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You have some quite unique basses @BigRedX Nice one. Liking that one too.

Dave

Thanks.

I'm down to 5 from about 40 ten years ago. 

I use the red Gus G3 with In Isolation, and have a very similar one in all black (including the metal work), as a back-up.

For Hurtsfall I have the Eastwood Hooky and a Burns Barracuda, as a spare, which I'm hoping to replace with another Hooky. I've also got a Squier Bass VI that I need to get around to selling.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Decent venue, The Black Bull, the owner (Shev?) has done a lot to it over the years that I`ve played there.

I played there in the early days (about 11 years ago) with The Terrortones, and it's improved massively since then. That time we played in the bar area and stayed in one of the rooms upstairs which was essentially a building site.

• Like 1

The Sarah Moore in Leigh-on-Sea on Saturday night. Usefully, about 5 minutes from my home. Arrived in good time for an 8.30 start and 11pm finish but we weren't able to start setting up until nearly 7 before we could start setting up as the landlord had put a couple of handwritten signs on the two tables in the band area saying "reserved until 7pm".  So, it ended up being a bit of a rush to get everything set up and soundchecked. Not to mention bringing the wrong mixer and having to wait 30 mins for the right one to arrive.

The pub was busy all night and was up for a party from the start. And we had a dep singer (Sophie) standing in for Jen (who has been poorly), who did a grand job and brought a small crowd with her.

I've also had a cold brewing for two or three days prior. Just an irritation in the throat, but my voice was shot by the end. One of the guitarists remarked that I sounded like Voldemort. Hopefully, me and Jen will be back fighting fit for the next 2 two gigs later this month.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 12

Firstly, I'd just like to say StingRayBoy42 wins the weekend with 'Depping on Sousaphone'... 🙂

Lively gig in a rammed pub (new venue for us, we'll be back) Satdy, despite not much room and a 10pm start once the footy had finished; luckily the crowds of blokes trooping out dejectedly were replaced by a lot of ladies in spangly tops sashaying in, so it was a good gig all round. Nice to see some pubs still thriving...

On the timings, we generally play a 45 minute 1st set, break for ten or fifteen, and then play through an hour or so (usually a bit longer, depending on the audience) plus encores...seems to work OK...

• Like 12