Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

17 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Bricklayers Arms, High Wycombe

I used to live on the outskirts of Wycombe, this is adjacent to a massive council estate (probably mostly sold off) & close to Downley Common, it's been a lot of things in its life, would be nice if Wycombe could 'grow' another music venue.

😎

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I used to live on the outskirts of Wycombe, this is adjacent to a massive council estate (probably mostly sold off) & close to Downley Common, it's been a lot of things in its life, would be nice if Wycombe could 'grow' another music venue.

😎

I don't know High Wycombe or Buckinghamshire at all, but looking on a map, the Bricklayers arms appears to be right at the edge of town, next to countryside/farmland.  I arrived after dark and departed after midnight so I didn't see much.  Maybe if the council estate residents were keen it could happen but the landlords will have to a bit more marketing than just leaving our poster on their front door.

• Like 2

Was last week, on the friday. We started practicing in a new venue, one that we had played a new years on about 6 years ago and had been through managers since then. They said it sounded like their sort of music so gave us a gig there. Set up easily enough, not very crowded. Were supposed to start at 8:30, which is early for us but the landlord said it was up to us, the place was generally dead until 11 when the floods came in from the other closed venues in the town so we could start later if we wanted a bigger crowd.

we opted for later and a longer break.

There was a woman at the bar who was amazed the drum kit was seethrough and had lights in it, and asked if it was supposed to be like that (not sure what she meant, did it accidently have lights in it?) so was pretty blown away when I got my acrylic bass out, which I have now changed the blue lights in the body for green, and looks better.

There was a buzz in the PA which was driving the singer mad but I couldn't hear (which is odd, I passed my hearing tests a year or so back), but we had 5 minutes trying to stop that, and then it just went, so I suspect it was a dodgy PA lead, will have to buzz them out again.

first half went well, small but appreciative audience, no major issues. Second half quite a few people had come in which coincides with our more party / fun half (first half a bit rock and blues, second half more ska /. disco and pop) and that went down well. Sure enough at 11, there was a flood of younger people in, and it really picked up again.

Could have done a few more songs in the end but as usual our guitarist decided we had to stop there, so we did. Still, better to go leaving them wanting more.

mermaid-rex.jpg

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

There was a woman at the bar who was amazed the drum kit was seethrough and had lights in it, and asked if it was supposed to be like that (not sure what she meant, did it accidently have lights in it?)

I read it as a a clumsy way of asking if it was supplied like that, or was modified in some way after the fact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last night- depping with the Manchester Ska Foundation at a wedding in Buxton.
Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, Two Tone type stuff with a couple of reggae numbers thrown in.
Good fun to play, great musicians (really have to raise my game which is a good place to be), and a cracking crowd - thought the roof was going to come off when we launched into One Step Beyond.
Highlights were the Trombone solo in Ghost Town and the drummer absolutely leathering This is Ska.
We got the groom up to sing Kingston Town, he did pretty well considering.
Played the P (of course) through the Thumpinator and the Sansamp VTDI (set to flip top) - sounded immense, especially with a touch of Bass Boost on the Reggae numbers.
Played pretty well and the band like what I do. They're grateful for me stepping in and I'm grateful to be invited.
Had a couple of "I can't believe I get to do this AND I'm getting paid for it" moments.
Black Sheep was £3-70 a pint, there was food and it was a good payer.

The sort of gig that makes it all worthwhile!

• Like 17

Sometimes the out-takes say it better than the in-focus photos!

A typical Saturday night at a Dorset glamping site for Otis Jay Blues Band. Worried the rugby would restrict attendance, but thankfully no such problems. Threw in three pub standards we hadn’t even played together in practice to keep the atmosphere going.

Used ‘Sonic’, my MIJ Jazz, whose pickups don’t drive the Elf/Barefaced One10 combo as hard as the Flea. Will revert next time or bring the second speaker. 

133BC3A3-E197-4539-A68F-1E8DFD8B1E0F.thumb.jpeg.3576404ad2111c29ee50ed62907fcea5.jpeg8BBC902F-809A-4BF2-BB05-697725B42552.thumb.jpeg.1b1824269a6fac3728b2570dd9bff55d.jpeg20378F38-BBFC-490C-86EA-823BEFB20ADD.thumb.jpeg.7ba33302860720d0af33cc4155ee81a3.jpeg7338ABBE-9540-43C8-A919-EFADD91D47AF.thumb.jpeg.dd2f1e8d1c9d4643361d56b2bc05c61d.jpeg8FDC6C0B-4B17-441F-A854-E75892161265.thumb.jpeg.92d2183618739eea99be7da5cb715ad1.jpeg

D9DC9546-B794-4843-9BA0-90167B0937E1.jpeg

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 13

12 hours ago, Staggering on said:

I have been following your posts for some time and I was in Halifax a month ago on a holiday trip and was hoping to see one of your gigs at Bearly's. Unfortunately I came down with a very nasty variety of Covid and had to change my plans and make my way back home to Ontario, both my partner and I are still suffering from the lingering effects of this miserable disease. She had been to Bearly's a few years ago with a friend from Halifax and was hoping to go again on this trip. Maybe next time...

I’m sorry to hear about the Covid. Bearly’s is a wonderful old dive , but they will be moving to Grafton St in January. It will be a sad day to see the old dive close. A much larger apartment complex will go up on the site. It’s been by favourite downtown venue for some years.
I’ve been in the house band for the Sunday jam for close to thirty years now.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

I read it as a a clumsy way of asking if it was supplied like that, or was modified in some way after the fact.

I guess that is what she meant, but hard to get the whole story as it wasn't from her, it was from her friend who was kind of taking the p out of her. She was pretty impressed with the bass though! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ped said:

Yey I can join in again!

I had my first gig with my originals band Genius the Fool  last night. I’ve only rehearsed with the full band once, so luckily this was a small gig for a charity event and more like a live rehearsal really. It went really well. Pleased with the bass sound through my rig, we didn’t bother with DI from my board or amp as it was plenty big enough and we have all sorts of sequencers and samplers going into the PA so I don’t even think there was room on the desk!

Allegedly this band play pretty big venues normally so it was nice to have an easy one first and we raised about £400 for charidee. 

IMG_7037.jpeg

So what gear are you using. Gotta give us some details other than the fact i can see most of it :biggrin:

What amp are you using ?

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

So what gear are you using. Gotta give us some details other than the fact i can see most of it :biggrin:

What amp are you using ?

Dave

Hi Dave the amp is a Blackstar U500 (500w 2x10 combo) and the matching 15” powered extension. Really happy with them, the limiter built into the combo is particularly good.

• Like 2

Depped for a covers band on Saturday. I had agreed to dep for New Year’s Eve and a few weeks back was given a set list of 42 songs, of which I knew 6, had played another 10 once and the rest were completely new to me. Given the 3 month lead time, I was taking it easy learning one or two a week, until they contacted me last week to say they had a gig lined up for the 21st and their regular bassist was going to be in the US sorting out a family crisis. Somehow we fitted in two rehearsals beforehand and I did the gig on Saturday with chord sheets on my iPad.

Amazingly, it went pretty well with me remembering most of the intro and must do cbass lines and jamming the rest. The punters at the village hall we played in the Norfolk Broads, were very complimentary and there were loads of dancers. No action shots but one of setting up below. All in all a great experience and good preparation for New Year’s Eve, despite 2 pm bedtime.

IMG_0726.jpeg

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, ped said:

Hi Dave the amp is a Blackstar U500 (500w 2x10 combo) and the matching 15” powered extension. Really happy with them, the limiter built into the combo is particularly good.

I've seen a few Blackstar amps / combos as backline at gigs now but i've always just used my own gear. Good to know they are good quality amps.

Dave

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Depped for a covers band on Saturday. I had agreed to dep for New Year’s Eve and a few weeks back was given a set list of 42 songs, of which I knew 6, had played another 10 once and the rest were completely new to me. Given the 3 month lead time, I was taking it easy learning one or two a week, until they contacted me last week to say they had a gig lined up for the 21st and their regular bassist was going to be in the US sorting out a family crisis. Somehow we fitted in two rehearsals beforehand and I did the gig on Saturday with chord sheets on my iPad.

Amazingly, it went pretty well with me remembering most of the intro and must do cbass lines and jamming the rest. The punters at the village hall we played in the Norfolk Broads, were very complimentary and there were loads of dancers. No action shots but one of setting up below. All in all a great experience and good preparation for New Year’s Eve, despite 2 pm bedtime.

IMG_0726.jpeg

What gear are you using @Obrienp. Its always good to let us geeks know the gear in use.

Yes i am one of those sad peoples that likes details. :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 1

Saturday night played in Stowmarket and it was a classic nightmare venue and gig !!

Turned up and it’s town centre so no car park, still raining and where we needed to setup a match was being shown on the big screen !

Very drunk and slightly indifferent crowd and and pack away time there was a punch up that then spilled into the street. 6 police cars arrived and it was a quickly dealt with.

Late night band trip to McDonald’s and arrived home around 2pm 

We won’t be going back even though they wanted to book 3 gigs next year !! I don’t think so !!   

IMG_5069.thumb.jpeg.490319310cf0c1d3b43976057fbc6da1.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 5
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

What gear are you using @Obrienp. Its always good to let us geeks know the gear in use.

Yes i am one of those sad peoples that likes details. :biggrin:

Dave

🤣 Lurking behind the sax, my rig was a Barefaced Two10, powered by a Mark Bass LM III (500), with a Warwick Gnome iPro as a hot stand by, sitting on an Auralex isolator This was DI into the desk, so stage volume about 9 o’clock on the master. Maruszczyk Elwood 4a medium scale, with a Nordstrand Acinonyx as backup. Pedal board consists of a Peterson strobostomp HD in front of a Valeton Dapper Bass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our acoustic duo played this evening at what is now approaching a residency at The Lookout , situated

on West Pier in Scarborough. The recent storms fortunately subsided so a mild evening with plenty

of people around the sea front. Usual requests led set list from the capacity audience, with plenty of variety 

to keep us on our toes. We also had a bloke in from the PRS, who needed to know which songs we were

playing, and seemed amazed that we didn’t know until we got started! Highlights included ’This Masquerade’,

‘Fire and rain’, ‘Watermelon Sugar’ and ‘Wichita Lineman’ amongst many others.

I absolutely love playing this venue, the audience are all there to listen as well as help with the song selection,

and are very appreciative of our efforts. We’ve just been given another half a dozen or so gigs there for early

2024, along with a couple of Xmas parties too so pleased we’re part of their ongoing business.
The pier is being 
developed soon to be focal point of the harbour area, with shops and bars/eateries planned.

The Lookout is going to be extended which will mean more tables / covers , so should hopefully ensure that

our gigs there will continue. 

• Like 15

9 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Saturday night played in Stowmarket and it was a classic nightmare venue and gig !!

Turned up and it’s town centre so no car park, still raining and where we needed to setup a match was being shown on the big screen !

Very drunk and slightly indifferent crowd and and pack away time there was a punch up that then spilled into the street. 6 police cars arrived and it was a quickly dealt with.

Late night band trip to McDonald’s and arrived home around 2pm 

We won’t be going back even though they wanted to book 3 gigs next year !! I don’t think so !!   

IMG_5069.thumb.jpeg.490319310cf0c1d3b43976057fbc6da1.jpeg

That looks like a nice bass set up. What are you using ? I know its ampeg but what versions

Dave

• Like 1

Saturday afternoon's adventure.  My blues rock trio Toredown played a little blues club in Billericay called 'Blues at Barleylands'.  They rent a social club every Saturday afternoon and put on blues acts - sometimes pro-acts that are on tour.  We'd not played there before so didn't quite know what to expect - the deal is you get door money after they take out expenses but apparently guaranteed to get £300. 

The place itself is what you'd expect a small social club in the sticks to be like, a little bit jaded.  Lots of tables and seating, large bar.  Easy load in from the dedicated car park via the fire door.  Slightly raised corner stage, lots of power points behind black sheets.  Covered pool table for us to stash our cases.  We arriveds early, set up and sound checked before most of the people turned.  Who then kept on turning up, I reckon there were around 60 people when we kicked off - not capacity but busy for a small place.

Well, what a reaction!  To say we got a rapturous response would be an understatement.  I know the band are good but the genre is rather love it or hate it.  In the past we've played pubs and gone down like a lead balloon.  We have our monthly residency at a music pub and that is brilliant but still get the occasional idiot distracting us.  This lot, being a dedicated blues club, totally loved it.  Huge cheers after every song (after most guitar solos, too), at the end people wouldn't let us get on with packing up, kept coming up to us wanting to chat.  Even with me!  Such a diffrent vibe from playing in a pub.  No drunk tw@t shouting for Wonderwall.  No drunks, in fact.   At the end we were handed an envelope containing £500 - a much bigger payday than usual - and we sold some CDs, too.  Absolutely fantastic.  Post gig some lovely comments on their Fb page.  They immediately booked us again for next year, too, promising a packed crowd as word gets around.

I used my recently acquired Gibson SG - my go-to now - straight into the desk via a TC Spectradrive.  Sounded good, really sits in the mix.

Obligatory pic.  Looks like I am doing a mic swallowing act.  

394344978_776230857847418_61938529916997

• Like 20

Satdy night pub gig up in the sticks Nelson way, main road, no car park, but I cared not a jot as my load-in these days is a rucksack with leads and Stomp, and my bass case. Just as well, there wasn't much room for the band. It was quietish (I suspect would've been even quieter without the rugby on) early, we were scheduled for a 10pm start, but the landlady asked us if we could go on at half past 'because it gets busy after that'...I looked at her skeptically, but it turns out it was one of those pubs where it's the last place open (1:30am closing) in the locality, so people end up there...sure enough, by 11 it was banging, which made a change from the last few evenings of sparsely-attended indifference we've had of late...it's also nice to see a well-run pub can still make live music work...

Inears were, as always, a joy, and I was packed up and loaded in the now-traditional three minutes, which made the 35-mile trip home a lot easier...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 11

45 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Satdy night pub gig up in the sticks Nelson way, main road, no car park, but I cared not a jot as my load-in these days is a rucksack with leads and Stomp, and my bass case. Just as well, there wasn't much room for the band. It was quietish (I suspect would've been even quieter without the rugby on) early, we were scheduled for a 10pm start, but the landlady asked us if we could go on at half past 'because it gets busy after that'...I looked at her skeptically, but it turns out it was one of those pubs where it's the last place open (1:30am closing) in the locality, so people end up there...sure enough, by 11 it was banging, which made a change from the last few evenings of sparsely-attended indifference we've had of late...it's also nice to see a well-run pub can still make live music work...

Inears were, as always, a joy, and I was packed up and loaded in the now-traditional three minutes, which made the 35-mile trip home a lot easier...

3 min pack up and loaded. WOW. !!! 

That just sounds like heaven after a gig.

Who packs up the PA and helps the drummer with his insane number of drum cases ? :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

3 min pack up and loaded. WOW. !!! 

That just sounds like heaven after a gig.

Who packs up the PA and helps the drummer with his insane number of drum cases ? :laugh1:

Dave

Yep: switch off Stomp, unplug power supply, unplug the desk feed lead and bass lead, coil into rucksack, put inears and transmitter/receiver in bass case with the bass, zip em up...done. 😃

If I'm feeling particularly philanthropic I'll lend a hand...I generally do one end of the gig or the other... 🙂   I arrived early (unexpectedly light traffic) just as the van with the PA, lights and guitarist/BL did, so I unloaded with them, but at the end I broke down the PA and left the three of them to it...I might get across the principle sooner or later that we need less gear...call it Tough Love... 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would imagine that they would actually just assume you are lazy!

I arrive, get all the stuff from the car, set up the PA, do the gig, break down the PA, load the car.

If the drummer is there, I help him with the drum kit from the car and back to the car and he helps with the PA. The singer also carries stuff from the car and back, and does a little of the PA setup. The guitarist does FA. Because he is lazy. He stands around chatting.

• Like 4

Wroot Rocks in Wroot near Doncaster on Friday night. It wasn't packed but there were plenty in. Apparently quite a few couldn't make it due to closed roads etc. caused by the weather. Abdoujaparov were on first and I loved it. It's just super tight, quirky rock and roll really, but a great show. They're fronted by Les Carter of Carter USM fame and he's a lovely bloke. Our set went really well, we sold plenty of merch and signed lots of stuff so that's a win. The promoter here really takes care of the bands with food and drink etc.

A long drive back in the rain managed to kill the van not long after the dropped me off. I really hate the van, nicknamed Vantanamo for it's lack of leg room, cupholders, fans in the back... the list goes on, so fingers crossed this is terminal and we can get something I actually fit in! Here's a terrible low light photo from just before we started.

wroot.thumb.jpg.8e62971d1314f2789c6c25e642422e4e.jpg

Saturday in Corby at the Ex Servicemen's Club, which was very "pheonix nights". The venue was too big for the audience really, only about 40 people turned up, which is cool in a small venue, but this was a big old room with loads of horrible echoes. It sounded alright anyway, and everyone seemed to love it. 

corby.jpg.e2fbf2802fa4c2a66b293db70dd60ebe.jpg

• Like 8