Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Acoustic Bauhaus in the pub!

I'd definitely be up for that... A pint of Butty Bach with a Kick In The Eye!

They got "Bela Lugosi's Dead" performed on two mandocellos and "She's in Parties" on a bass and a mandocello.... hopefully better than a kick in the eye, so to speak!?!

A couple of the locals complain about us "turning the pub into a youth club" - considering Nick and I are both 50yrs old, I am tempted to use that quote promotionally! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think t

i believe he Fullerton versions are the US built basses rather than the cheaper "Tribute" series basses.

Fullerton is the home of G&L as far as i know.

The Tribute basses are circa £300 over here whereas the Fullerton US made basses are up in £1k - £2k range if i remember right.

Dave

EDIT :- just saw the other posts with Fullerton info.  

Dave, I believe mine is a 1993 American build Dave. It was around $900.0 used. I bought it at least 12 years ago.

Daryl

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

This surfaced from our gig on Sat night. SLF Gotta Getaway. This is the 2nd time we've tried playing this so its not quite there and a bit of work in progress. Great song tho.

The vocals are louder in the mix but camera was just in between PA cabs which were angled outwards.

Dave

Nice tone on that one Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We played in Southampton at ‘The Hobbit’ on Friday night, and a social club called ‘The Martin Club’ on Saturday. Annoyingly we had to shorten our set on Friday due to time constraints, but had a great time with a small but enthusiastic crowd. Saturday however was nothing more than a paid rehearsal in front of the other band (Mutiny on the Beach) - I felt bad for them because they invited us down and we’re embarrassed by the poor turnout. We made the most of it though and had a great laugh all weekend. Mutiny on the Beach are gonna head up to Essex to support us at some point, so it’s great to make new friends if nothing else. 

0ef316ec-e19c-42ab-9b03-53eb397739ff.jpeg

c2ddc428-22cf-4578-a7f7-9031852e8830.jpeg

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

We played in Southampton at ‘The Hobbit’ on Friday night, and a social club called ‘The Martin Club’ on Saturday. Annoyingly we had to shorten our set on Friday due to time constraints, but had a great time with a small but enthusiastic crowd. Saturday however was nothing more than a paid rehearsal in front of the other band (Mutiny on the Beach) - I felt bad for them because they invited us down and we’re embarrassed by the poor turnout. We made the most of it though and had a great laugh all weekend. Mutiny on the Beach are gonna head up to Essex to support us at some point, so it’s great to make new friends if nothing else. 

Does The Hobbit still have the outdoor stage? It looked like a mini version of the main stage at Glastonbury 😎

• Like 3

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Does The Hobbit still have the outdoor stage? It looked like a mini version of the main stage at Glastonbury 😎

It looked like there was something down there in the corner, yes! It was a bit cold to venture out, if I’m being honest! 

You know you’re getting old when you’re inside and commenting on passing students saying ‘They’ll catch their death in that!’

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 gigs this weekend, Friday night was the 50th anniversary of the Aberdyfi mountain rescue team and Saturday was a 50th birthday party held in Aberystwyth museum which is splendid old music hall complete with stage and footlights. Both gigs were fine but people didn't come for the music they came to talk to their mates. Fair enough but hard work for the band. We seem to get a lot of bookings of the "wouldn't it be nice if we had a band" variety. Not complaining, 2 paid nights out with my best mates and access to 2 very good buffets!

• Like 16

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

Nice tone on that one Dave.

Oddly enough i thought it sounded a bit shallow but its difficult to tell on a mobile Vid.

The amp is set up for my VM4 and sounds a lot deeper with it. I need to spend a bit more time experimenting with the tone using the Marlowe bass or even my Jazz. 

Ampeg SVT7 and Mesa SW210/115 cabs. I now use the Gramma Pad every gig. Have the bass at 3 o'clock and everything else is flat. I've used the same settings in other venues and it sounded better so maybe just where he was standing. He was approx 2m from my amp.

Nicer with decent headphones.

Dave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

@dmccombe7 You might like to get those speakers checked, though; they sound quite 'gnarly'. Ripped cone..? Rubbing voice coils..? Needs cleaning up (but might prove to be an expensive fix. -_-

:lol: :P

Mesa Subway cabs relatively newish and well looked after and they sound ok with my VM4.

Only thing i can think of is the horn may have been turned up since last gig with my Sandberg VM4.

Gain was at 12 o'clock and slight compression. The Marlowe always has a bit of a rip to its tone. Maybe its because i keep the action quite low and hit my strings quite hard. ?

The volume was really low too so the cabs were hardly doing anything. We were asked to keep volume down.

Not sure really. I do play lighter with the VM4.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

:$ Sorry, Dave; I was just 'ribbing' you. We play with 'clean' tones, always; that 'gnarly' rock tone suits the song, and is right for the job, so change nothing. :rWNVV2D:

I should have known better from you but i can never tell whether you are pulling my leg or not.

How many times have you caught me out ? :laugh1:

Because I don't speak French i don't understand the humour :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BigRedX said:

And another Oxjam Beeston gig report...

Hurtsfall played at the Malt Shovel at 5.00 in the afternoon.

My previous experience of Oxjam was over 10 years ago with The Terrortones where it seemed poorly organised with the venue changing at the last minute, everything running late, and the promised backline not being present. Luckily on that occasion the bass player from In Isolation who played before us was happy to let me use his rig. Little did he know that I'd be taking his place in the band 6 years later!

This time it was a complete contrast: everything was extremely well organised and running on time! We were sandwiched between two bands of very different styles to our goth/post punk sound, and for once I didn't spot anyone in the audience that we knew, so we were playing to an audience who were completely unfamiliar with our songs. Despite that we seemed to go down well and although there were people drifting in and out as we played, plenty stayed to the end of the set and we got some appreciative comments afterwards. Still strange to be back home before 6.30 in the evening.

This is the only photo I've seen so far of our performance seemingly taken from the back of the pub:

391657055-772683688162777-94982371312385

I've played Oxjam Beeston 5 times now with 2 different bands, including the virtual version they did in 2020. It's always a great craic and the organisation is now superb. At £10 (free until 6pm) to see 100+ bands / artists in 20 venues all within easy staggering distance of each other must be the biggest musical bang for buck on the planet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Out of all the obstacles we all face I think poor turn out is the hardest to deal with. It is for me.

Blue

• Like 5

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

This surfaced from our gig on Sat night. SLF Gotta Getaway. This is the 2nd time we've tried playing this so its not quite there and a bit of work in progress. Great song tho.

The vocals are louder in the mix but camera was just in between PA cabs which were angled outwards.

Dave

Love this clip. Great tone and great chops. Dave, you're really cutting through.

Are you direct out and what amp are you using?

Daryl

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Love this clip. Great tone and great chops. Dave, you're really cutting through.

Are you direct out and what amp are you using?

Daryl

Small venue Daryl. Its a vocal PA only. 

My gear is :-

Sandberg MarloweDK bass

Shure wireless (it has built in tuner so i use every gig now)

Ampeg SVT7 Pro

Mesa Subway SW210 & 115 cabs with the 115 on top.

Cabs are lightweight at circa 20Kg each.

I very rarely go thru PA to be honest. Only when the venue supplies the PA altho we are looking at changing it so that we all go thru PA to give a more balanced sound across the stage.

Its funny how my tone thickens up with more depth when there's a larger crowd. When a venue is empty during soundcheck it always feels a bit thinner.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Out of all the obstacles we all face I think poor turn out is the hardest to deal with. It is for me.

Blue

Yeah I agree 100%. Ironically I played as well as I ever have, but watching the videos back I’m definitely not my usual self, I’m not bouncing and moving around, not stamping my feet like an idiot. I guess we all play off the crowd to a greater or lesser degree.

• Like 4

Esquires in Bedford on Thursday. The stage is pretty small so Ferocious Dog very kindly agreed to share drum shells. The room was absolutely packed. It seemed to take a few songs for them to really get into us, but after a few they were all bouncing along. Ace gig

esquires.thumb.jpg.06366ebbf986d9bf76ed19e21cfd3ef2.jpg

The Boiler Shop in Newcastle on Friday night. We played here once before supporting New Model Army. It's a huge place and so well done, super cool. Ferocious Dog had managed to sell this one out so we played to a huge crowd. Best gig for ages

boilershop.thumb.jpg.b028233f3de6eaad54427f470d9393a5.jpg

• Like 14