Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

20 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I have foolishly embarked on starting up a band. My brother has given me the bare bones of a pa (mixer, amp, cabs) so I will be in charge of the sound at last!

That also means you have more carrying, more set up and when things go wrong everyone will look at you as if you are a drummer. :laugh1:

Sure you will enjoy it and have fun which is what its all about.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Cold wet and windy at Rock’n’Ribs in Wincanton today, thankfully being on the Country stage meant we had cover for our enthusiastic audience. Set delayed and slightly curtailed thanks to the wind and rain buggering up the stage but we had a blast. Tartan Heart Belladrum next weekend, hope the rain holds off for that 😄

IMG_0596.thumb.jpeg.6f63336cf69b0db65f11ba550c3a1a9f.jpeg

• Like 13

We played outside at a pub a mile from where I live. Good strong marquee ensured we and our equipment stayed dry, and quite a lot of the audience chose to join us in there.

Got a bit of a boost when standing at the bar when we first arrived and the couple next to me said that they saw us in Witney two weeks ago, and wanted to see us again.

Ended up with quite a few people dancing and plenty sitting around (some in the rain!) and enjoying the music. Apparently, the people in the pub enjoyed it as well.

Got paid, got wet loading gear back into the cars, and wetter still when I was unloading a few minutes later. 

Played my Player Mustang through Orange LBT & Barefaced Super Compact.

Unwinding and feel satisfied with the gig.

• Like 14

A good one tonight down by the River Wye. It took the crowd about half-way through the first set to get going but then they were great. We tried some new songs which went down very well so we'll probably replace some older tired songs on our setlist. 

I played my Spector Bantam again and loved it. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 13

Had an absolute corker tonight at O'Neills in Harborne, Birmingham.
Typical Saturday night pub stuff, the place was packed and they loved it.
You know it's good when the bouncers and bar staff are singing along.
The drummer had to play standing up as he had eight stitches in his leg on Tuesday...  he didn't miss a beat, possibly because he can't drink 'cos of the antibiotics.
My IEM mix was perfect, so I got excited and came up with some new BVs on the hoof and I'll have you know some of them sounded OK.
70s reissue P  Bass through the Sansamp VTDI sounded stellar as ever.
A good nights work!

oneills.jpg

• Like 15

9 hours ago, Merton said:

Cold wet and windy at Rock’n’Ribs in Wincanton today, thankfully being on the Country stage meant we had cover for our enthusiastic audience. Set delayed and slightly curtailed thanks to the wind and rain buggering up the stage but we had a blast. Tartan Heart Belladrum next weekend, hope the rain holds off for that 😄

IMG_0596.thumb.jpeg.6f63336cf69b0db65f11ba550c3a1a9f.jpeg

As a rare British NASCAR fan, I’m impressed with the stage backdrop 😎

• Like 1

We played 2 consecutive nights this weekend at The Apex theatre in Bury St Edmunds.

Both nights sold out at this superb modern 500 seat venue in the centre of the town. 
Dreadful 3 hour journey home last night though, torrential rain all the way. 

537424ec-51b8-4b06-bf15-15ea27dd4e97.jpeg

• Like 14

A pub gig for us and a bit disappointing really. All the hard work done on rehearsal, working in the new drummer, tightening up endings, etc, seem to fall away. Guitarist/BL constantly tuning between songs and taking a while doing it, drummer speeding up noticeably in certain sections (rather than follow, I held the timing and made him slow down, otherwise it would have been a train wreck). It’s our 4th gig and 1st for the drummer, folk liked it, venue owner liked it (although playing an ‘80s playlist during the breaks for a mod band was weird, especially as it was pretty much the set list of my previous band), but I’m just used to better. Hopefully, things will improve.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

A pub gig for us and a bit disappointing really. All the hard work done on rehearsal, working in the new drummer, tightening up endings, etc, seem to fall away. Guitarist/BL constantly tuning between songs and taking a while doing it, drummer speeding up noticeably in certain sections (rather than follow, I held the timing and made him slow down, otherwise it would have been a train wreck). It’s our 4th gig and 1st for the drummer, folk liked it, venue owner liked it (although playing an ‘80s playlist during the breaks for a mod band was weird, especially as it was pretty much the set list of my previous band), but I’m just used to better. Hopefully, things will improve.

Onwards and upwards.  I remember our first couple of post COVID gigs were absolutely rotten - ring rusty to say the least.  I guess it was like starting over after the 2 year layoff.

Second night of a double header, this time at Wilson's in Aberdeen.  What a great night.  Our guest "guitarist" joined us for a few songs, it was busy and folk were right into it.  Got some great comments after the show and the audience were enthusiastic but respectful - interacted with us without pawing at the singer this time!  Maybe picked up a booking for a birthday party out of it too.  One for the books.  Played really well, loving the Sire D5 (why did it take me so long to investigate '51/'54 Precision shaped objects?), it's a keeper.

image.thumb.png.758cd525d06c7c6aad109260203b0c52.png

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Second night of a double header, this time at Wilson's in Aberdeen.  What a great night.  Our guest "guitarist" joined us for a few songs, it was busy and folk were right into it.  Got some great comments after the show and the audience were enthusiastic but respectful - interacted with us without pawing at the singer this time!  Maybe picked up a booking for a birthday party out of it too.  One for the books.  Played really well, loving the Sire D5 (why did it take me so long to investigate '51/'54 Precision shaped objects?), it's a keeper.

Wilson’s, im surprised no one attempted to glass you! 

• Haha 1

Played a gig with my regular wedding band last night. We've been using IEMs since last year but I've always had my cab with me as I was coming out FOH. However, we have a new PA with subs and I've been toying with the idea of dropping the cab altogether and maybe getting on of the Eich Bass Boards. As a test I muted my amp (bass goes to the board via my Noble DI) and I was surprised by how little I missed the amp. In fairness, this isn't our usual PA (different MD who has to bring the PA, don't ask, I know its weird), but I'm tempted to save the weight and the space on stage.

Will probably always bring my cab tho... just in case.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, woodyratm said:

Wilson’s, im surprised no one attempted to glass you! 

I've seen one fight kick off in there in all the times I've played there.  Was dealt with pretty swiftly.  I've never felt unsafe in there.  Things might be different if we sucked!

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I've seen one fight kick off in there in all the times I've played there.  Was dealt with pretty swiftly.  I've never felt unsafe in there.  Things might be different if we sucked!

Always thought it was rougher than a badgers proverbial! Market street is the only place I’ve been threatened with a knife tbf.

All for my chips and cheese. 😂

29 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I’m glad the D5 is working out, I’m really getting into that aesthetic. How’s the weight on one of those (I’m a lightweight wimp, ergo my heaviest bass, the JMJ, is 3.7kg). 

We played Clark’s in Dundee, nice venue with a great owner and staff. Easy load in & out, an actual (if low) stage, PA, all good, probably the nicest pub I’ve played anywhere.

34 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’m glad the D5 is working out, I’m really getting into that aesthetic. How’s the weight on one of those (I’m a lightweight wimp, ergo my heaviest bass, the JMJ, is 3.7kg). 

We played Clark’s in Dundee, nice venue with a great owner and staff. Easy load in & out, an actual (if low) stage, PA, all good, probably the nicest pub I’ve played anywhere.

My D5 is 4.05kg - 8.9lbs - not heavy by any means for the type of bass it is, but I'm guessing not the answer you wanted to hear?  If it helps any, it balances well and with a decent strap (I use Neotech Mega straps), it's easy to fling about - no shoulder/back complaints this morning.

Clark's sounds like a cool place.  House PA?  Luxury!  Don't suppose they're averse to northern barbarians coming down to play?  We haven't pillaged and raided any further south than Montrose so far...

49 minutes ago, woodyratm said:

Always thought it was rougher than a badgers proverbial! Market street is the only place I’ve been threatened with a knife tbf.

All for my chips and cheese. 😂

Damn, those must have been some good chips n cheese...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Damn, those must have been some good chips n cheese...

Enough that I defended myself with the plastic fork. Alas I was 16 and now I have realised that no chip and no cheese is worth dying for. Lest none that I’ve found yet.😂

6 minutes ago, woodyratm said:

Enough that I defended myself with the plastic fork. Alas I was 16 and now I have realised that no chip and no cheese is worth dying for. Lest none that I’ve found yet.😂

No chips and cheese are worth dying for, but some are worth killing for...

Edited by MacDaddy
Feckin autocorrect!

11 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

A good one tonight down by the River Wye. It took the crowd about half-way through the first set to get going but then they were great. We tried some new songs which went down very well so we'll probably replace some older tired songs on our setlist. 

I played my Spector Bantam again and loved it but this time it was joined with a guest appearance from a Sandberg Lionel short-scale which was lovely. I didn't quite get the levels right between both basses and the Sandberg preamp is really hot; so much so that it was distorting in places. I managed to tame it somewhat but if it's one I'm given a chance to gig it again I'll spend some time with it and the Spector to work out balances etc. 

IMG_5688.jpeg

Shell pink and rosewood!  Lovely.  

• Thanks 1

Two soggy stages for ‘The Bridge’ yesterday. Gloucester Quays food festival and Cheltenham 7s rugby festival. Thankfully, both sets actually ended up being mostly played in the dry and people soon appeared for a dance and sing which was nice. ‘‘Twas a lovely day, with the shows being punctuated by a nice tapas lunch on expenses. Played my Ibanez soundgears on both sets, SR1200 on 1 and my salvage project SR500 on set 2, both just through IEMs. The PA system at Cheltenham 7s was really powerful with a great sound. Some radio 1 DJ was on after us and it made me chuckle that even on a stage that big, the DJ still seemed to have taken up all the space and plugs! Seemed a lot of kit for a memory stick! She wasn’t even mixing, just playing songs one after another like a ‘Now’ compilation 😂

IMG_8149.jpeg

IMG_8150.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 10