Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

51 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I just see guys jumping all over pedals - guys *obviously* seem to think stomping on a chorus/etc. for a few bars in a certain place will make all the difference, but in truth from front of house those nuances are lost.  I run a wireless once in a while; one of those Lekato things (USB charging, tiny), headstock tuner.  The Darkglass does dirty perfectly well for me!

My bass tones are set before a song starts other than the envelope filter in mid section of virginia plain. Not on for long tho but it does make a difference to the song as we dont have keys.

If i get a decent small envelope filter pedal and a small pre-amp DI pedal i could get all my effects on one small board. I only have about 3 effects from a Jamman sample pedal used in the Glam band so its not like a guitarist pressing pedals every 2 mins.

If and when i get my Mesa TT800 i'll be able to use both channels to get my normal bass tone and the overdriven Ric tone from the other.

Also my wireless is also a tuner.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

but in truth from front of house those nuances are lost. 

I couldn't agree more.  I tried pedals a few years ago but found them frustrating - once I went rack I've never gone back.

• Like 2

We’ve had a busy week with 3 gigs in Southend, Retford and Chesterfield.

Southend was a blast - around 1100 people in and well up for a good night. The Cliffs Pavilion is a big

theatre with a good sounding room and great staff, so a good night had by all. Managed a drink or

two afterwards, although we went to the wrong hotel at first - apparently there are 2 Premier Inns in
Southend, and very close to each other!

Next up was Retford Majestic, a much smaller venue but sold out. Again, a great sounding room and

and not our usual PA, but it sounded great nevertheless. ( I’m the only person on stage who doesn’t 

use IEM’s, so the only person who can hear any changes in the FOH sound. )

Then last night we were at The Winding Wheel in Chesterfield. Near capacity crowd and another

good one. Local gig for some of our band and crew as well, and I was home for midnight too.

7cb08581-0269-40a0-8513-0d4d27d0879f.jpeg

• Like 17

10 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Here for the music festival in Devon on Friday night. Only 45 minutes on drums but I've never sweated that much in my life! I must have drank 5 litres of water and still got dehydrated!

hereforthemusic.thumb.jpg.7d9d87967811fa86f89df8b01ac8af1a.jpg

Nice shot !

Blue 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, casapete said:

We’ve had a busy week with 3 gigs in Southend, Retford and Chesterfield.

Southend was a blast - around 1100 people in and well up for a good night. The Cliffs Pavilion is a big

theatre with a good sounding room and great staff, so a good night had by all. Managed a drink or

two afterwards, although we went to the wrong hotel at first - apparently there are 2 Premier Inns in
Southend, and very close to each other!

Next up was Retford Majestic, a much smaller venue but sold out. Again, a great sounding room and

and not our usual PA, but it sounded great nevertheless. ( I’m the only person on stage who doesn’t 

use IEM’s, so the only person who can hear any changes in the FOH sound. )

Then last night we were at The Winding Wheel in Chesterfield. Near capacity crowd and another

good one. Local gig for some of our band and crew as well, and I was home for midnight too.

7cb08581-0269-40a0-8513-0d4d27d0879f.jpeg

Looks like a huge gig. 👍

Blue

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I couldn't agree more.  I tried pedals a few years ago but found them frustrating - once I went rack I've never gone back.

Pedals can be a pain, I get that.

They don't always integrate with other pedals or PA systems. Ever had a sound guy give you the

" stink eye " during a sound check and ask you if you have any pedals engaged. 

I don't use most of my pedals. And you can run into problems if your playing a gig in a venue that has electrical wiring  from the 1940s. However,  I'm always going to use a little chorus.

Blue

20230610_211632.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3

On 12/06/2023 at 03:30, dmccombe7 said:

Unfortunately i operate sound effects for the Glam band via floor pedal plus i use the Roland GRB6 for an overdriven Ric tone when i need it plus envelope filter for Virginia Plain mid section. Takes up a lot of stage space especially bad in small stages. On rare occasions i miss out the envelope filter completely and dont use the Roland. Also my Shure wireless sits on my pedalboard too.

I'm looking into making my footprint smaller tho with use of small pre-amp DI pedal of some kind and a decent envelope filter as soon as i can find a decent one.

Dave

I've  been looking at the Ampeg DI Pre Amp, $399.00.

I guess you have to have really good monitors  or IEM for it to be effective. 

Blue

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I've  been looking at the Ampeg DI Pre Amp, $399.00.

I guess you have to have really good monitors  or IEM for it to be effective. 

Blue

was looking at the reviews and it looks and sounds amazing Daryl.

As its only for sound effects i'm looking for a cheaper pre-amp / DI pedal in fact a DI pedal would probably do the job and let the desk do the EQ.

Dave 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Are they ok ie reliability ?

Behringer can be hit or a miss from what i know.

Dave

Honestly, it doesn't get much use being a backup thing and all, but it's worked every time I've dragged it out to do a bit of home recording.  Apart from that, it rattles around in my gigging bits and bobs bag (admittedly in its box) week in, week out.

Consider this - at the price they are available for does it matter if you have to replace it once in a while?  You can buy like 6 of them for the price of a Sansamp.  I highly doubt you'll make 6 go pop in your lifetime.  #justsayin

• Like 2

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Honestly, it doesn't get much use being a backup thing and all, but it's worked every time I've dragged it out to do a bit of home recording.  Apart from that, it rattles around in my gigging bits and bobs bag (admittedly in its box) week in, week out.

Consider this - at the price they are available for does it matter if you have to replace it once in a while?  You can buy like 6 of them for the price of a Sansamp.  I highly doubt you'll make 6 go pop in your lifetime.  #justsayin

yep  that's a good point. 

Dave

AMAZING gig on Saturday night at the JamJar in Bristol. God it was hotter than Hades in there -- that stupid Aussie hat I'm wearing was soaked through by the end -- but the crowd was fantastic, danced their arrses off and sang themselves hoarse, and we were on good form. A good crowd always lifts your game. I wish they were all like this.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

The BDI21 was my first pre-amp/DI box about 3 years ago and it's just gone back on my board as the overdrive is just what I'm after at the moment. In between, it's been gigged, rehearsed, left in a gig bag, lent to a mate (who broke the 9v socket) and resurrected. No reliability issues from it. I now power it from the battery terminals using a converter lead and it's sounding as good as it did on day 1. I'm even considering getting a second one as a back up and/or to try out the mods mentioned in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

I have one of those as my get out of jail free(ish) card in case of amp failure.

Me too...I'm touching wood as I'm typing this, but I've never had to use it...set right and in a band context, it's indistinguishable from a Sansamp (I've had and used both)...it's the best £20 insurance policy there is... 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Much maligned are Behringer, and TBF not always unjustly, but the BDI21 is a quality bit of kit. I've had mine for a fair few years and it's been gigged and in gig bags ever since. Look after it, and it'll be fine.

Anyone remember the preamp/DI blind test at a SE Bass Bash @Lozz196 ran?

IIRC there was a marginal difference between the BDI21 and the SansAmp.

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

The BDI21 was my first pre-amp/DI box about 3 years ago and it's just gone back on my board as the overdrive is just what I'm after at the moment. In between, it's been gigged, rehearsed, left in a gig bag, lent to a mate (who broke the 9v socket) and resurrected. No reliability issues from it. I now power it from the battery terminals using a converter lead and it's sounding as good as it did on day 1. I'm even considering getting a second one as a back up and/or to try out the mods mentioned in this thread.

Funnily enough I was thinking about the 'mid boost/scoop remover' mod yesterday.

• Like 2

Arrived at The Bell in the picturesque Wiltshire village of Great Cheverell (are you ready to rock Great Cheverell, said literally nobody ever) for my Goth duo's little stint at the Open Mic. We met early for a quick run through at my musical other half's 85yr old Mum's place. It looked like Mrs. Kersch's home in Derry (It reference!) where we drank lukewarm iced coffee out of wine glasses ("lovely hospitality Mrs. Fletcher") and showed Nick's Mum how to send an email from her phone (I don't mock, it'll come to me before I know it!). Funny how a 50yr old friend reverts to a teenager when Mum is about!

Worst load in ever and a very posh NIMBY came out to talk in a loud patronising voice about protected verges - Nick's Skoda, not my impeccable parking three counties away! No pictures of the show but I did send a quick selfie to my good lady to let her know that I had safely travelled the hour journey... and as pictures maketh the post on this thread, um, enjoy?!? 

DDBell0623.jpg.3f97610701b2be17014c9ac491c0ed5c.jpg

Thankfully it was a mandolin gig for me, so no heavy amp or cumbersome bass guitar to load in. We opened and closed the night. I sang the female vocal part of the Human League's Don't You Want Me to a room full of brilliant singers, who politely nodded and no doubt blessed me for "having a go". Then we followed this by the usual "no it's not a guitar" and "I'm actually a bass player" type conversations with people who were seeing us for the first time. Actually thought we played quite well and we seemed to be fairly well received. One chap spoke to us in detail about the bands we covered, recommended loads of venues that we should play (there seemed to be a story involving a fight at every one!) and then insisted on me finding him to add on Facebook. I did and 19hrs later he's still not accepted me. Not sure what that was about!? 😸

footnote - I wasn't really working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you. I was probably just lurking around the classifieds on Basschat! 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Funnily enough I was thinking about the 'mid boost/scoop remover' mod yesterday.

It is the best and most worthwhile pedal mod I've done in years. Absolutely brilliant. Dunno if you're planning on going to the SWBB this year, but I'll be taking my pedalboard so if you're there you can see for yourself. :)

• Thanks 1