Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

42 minutes ago, Machines said:

Support act for a band in Brum. Headliner was supplying a 200w Warwick Gnome with a 110 cab, which I didn't think would cut it for how loud we play, so took my Ashdown RM500 and a 210 cab. On stage sound wasn't great for monitoring so glad I could crank my amp to get some top end out of it.

The singer from my old metal band 2006-2007 came along too, hadn't seen him in 15 years so that was cool to catch up. Not a big turn out at about 25-30 people but first gig of the year and blew the cobwebs out.

No particular issues or messups - solid performance.

image.thumb.png.1f24945764805f9a6b4ffc0e8b610c33.png

Wouldn't think a Warwick Gnome and 1x10 cab would work too well in a live band. 

Nice Dingwall, very sparkly. That would look good in my Glam covers band :laugh1:

Dave

Played with the acoustic duo at my local boozer last night - 100 yds from my front door!
Usual thing we do of putting request forms on the tables and then see if we can blag our way

through playing them. Had some unusual ones, including ‘Bat out of hell’ which is getting

requested more just lately, and not by the same people! We did an abridged version, and

the audience seemed to enjoy watching our attempt. Just had an email from the landlord

asking for our availability for the rest of 2023, so may turn into a more regular thing.

I took my little Ibanez short scale acoustic electric, and plugged into my Fender Rumble

100 rather than the PA which I do on some gigs. Love this combo, so good for these type

of gigs, and I walked to the gig carrying it (to enable me to take advantage of a couple of

free beers….).

• Like 9

8 hours ago, casapete said:

Played with the acoustic duo at my local boozer last night - 100 yds from my front door!
Usual thing we do of putting request forms on the tables and then see if we can blag our way

through playing them. Had some unusual ones, including ‘Bat out of hell’ which is getting

requested more just lately, and not by the same people! We did an abridged version, and

the audience seemed to enjoy watching our attempt. Just had an email from the landlord

asking for our availability for the rest of 2023, so may turn into a more regular thing.

I took my little Ibanez short scale acoustic electric, and plugged into my Fender Rumble

100 rather than the PA which I do on some gigs. Love this combo, so good for these type

of gigs, and I walked to the gig carrying it (to enable me to take advantage of a couple of

free beers….).

The only way that gets any better is someone pays you to rehearse at your house and brings the beers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gig one of two this evening. 4 Play (👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼) covers band, Holbeach Services club. First one with the new singer. He’s clucking excellent. Spot on. A few tunes need to go back into the garage but pretty good. No audience to speak of so a paid rehearsal.

Private party with the other band tomorrow night. It’ll be the usual lengthy messy and hugely enjoyable carnage. 

• Like 3

We played Halifax Victoria Theatre tonight. Nearly 1000 punters in this fantastic old place,

all in good voice too. High domed ceiling made for an unusual sound, which meant using

our new favourite gadget…..😆

IMG_3049.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

We played in a small pub near Watford, the 'Load of Hay'.  They have a good outside space for gigs when the weather improves but last night we were squeezed into the corner of the L shaped venue.  We didn't have enough room for our kit so the singer/guitarist placed his amp on top of my Super Compact and I had to use my back up head as my main Ashdown wouldn't fit on top of his amp.  We went down well though, there were a few old codgers in the place when we showed up and I thought they aren't going to like us (we're a punk band), but I was wrong; 45 years ago they weren't old codgers and they were listening to punk and knew our songs.IMG_0590.thumb.jpeg.eff9c37773a1ddd23a5ffee40002b5ae.jpeg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

How did the Elf handle it @BillyBass, am thinking of getting one myself - all my gigs the instruments go FOH so it would only be for onstage volume, but similar music style yo yourself.

Just fine.  I had the gain at about 12 o'clock and volume at about 1.  I could always hear myself over the drummer and I had more volume on tap when the guitarists turned themselves up during our second set.  We weren't loud though; the punters commented that the band that played there the week before were too loud and some people went home, so we kept it at about rehearsal level.

The Elf is a perfect back up; it comes with a little carry case in which you can also carry the kettle lead and a speak on-jack lead (the Elf has no speak on socket).  It didn't get too warm and in a gig situation, you can't hear fan noise, which some complain about.  For just your on stage monitoring, it would work very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve tried my ELF at rehearsals as it’s my backup amp too. 

I could easily gig with it using my SVT212AV 4 ohm cab as it’s loud enough yet still stays clean. 

Not sure if it would cope running around 3/4 volume all night but it definitely has the power to gig in a loud pub band scenario 

The other point is it sounds very good, a bit like an ABM or RM amp 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

We played in a small pub near Watford, the 'Load of Hay'.  They have a good outside space for gigs when the weather improves but last night we were squeezed into the corner of the L shaped venue.  We didn't have enough room for our kit so the singer/guitarist placed his amp on top of my Super Compact and I had to use my back up head as my main Ashdown wouldn't fit on top of his amp.  We went down well though, there were a few old codgers in the place when we showed up and I thought they aren't going to like us (we're a punk band), but I was wrong; 45 years ago they weren't old codgers and they were listening to punk and knew our songs.IMG_0590.thumb.jpeg.eff9c37773a1ddd23a5ffee40002b5ae.jpeg

Nice bass there.

Dave

• Like 1

I played The Fighting C*cks in Kingston last night.  The day was a little less packed/stressful than our last live outing...we haven't played for three weeks, so a brief session at Silent Hill in Guildford, then off to Kingston.

Three bands (we were the meat in the sandwich), decent soundcheck, then loiter for three hours.  Used my Spector Euro-X, Darkglass A0900.  They had a GK enclosure on stage, so I left my 1x12 cabinets in the car.

Come gigtime, there was maybe 40 people in.  Sound kind of went to hell.  Monitor mix was pretty awful, the tightness of the stage meant (of course) the whole box we were in was just full of drums.  The sound guy did mention that they have an issue with harder hitting drummer's cymbals affecting the vocal mics, so 'could you drummer hit the cymbals softer?'. Sheesh.

Anyhow, we laboured through, a couple of mistakes, nobody seemed to notice.  Good general reaction and feedback.  Home by midnight.

IMG-20230421-WA0011.jpg.6571038d156ba463ef61dbb4a2cf4c39.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson
Pink torpedo edit...
  • Like 8

We had fun reliving our youth and songs from 40+ years ago. Confused the hell out of some of the crowd with a set of spikey new wave songs in our stylie from back then - so sort of new wave but belying the eclectic roots of the band that listened to pre-punk and came out of a WMC club band that played country & hits from the 50's & 60's.

Just three covers: "Another Girl, Another Planet" "Faithhealer" and "I Fought The Law", within a set of our 'classics': DeadTown, 9To5 (not Dolly P :D ), Melody Maker, Skateboard Love, Disco Generation, The Static, Bognor Boy, and many others none of you will ever have heard or be likely to you lucky things. Thankfully a crowd that included current bands and a bit of a school reunion for the other three helped.

Supported by the old drummer from my main band's new band and got a chance to listen to my Darkglass + 2xBB2 rig that their bass player used (and it sounded rather nice :) )

Got through reasonably unscathed with the rhythm section holding things together with a nod of years together, and regular cries of "DON'T START IT TOO FAST!!!". Felt fast all the same but not as fast as when we were 18 

Al - HA 21-04-2023.jpg

Band - HA 21-04-23.jpg

Band2 - HA 21-04-23.jpg

• Like 11

Played a party, depping for @Graham again as he… was a guest at the party 😀

No pressure then…. 😆

I had fun even if the acoustics were a bit crappy, it was either boom or toppy clank and nothing I did seemed to make much difference. Hopefully it sounded better out front!

Gave my new Zoot Funkmeister P5/32 an airing, man it’s such a comfortable instrument to play - thanks @Cosmicrain 😊

BCB5D372-A453-4EA0-A0B6-A087E73DF3DE.thumb.jpeg.0ffd4392870c015acfae6c33d9dfce4e.jpeg

Edited by Merton
  • Like 14

Absolutely brilliant gig with Clutching at Straws Saturday eve. In 20 years, that’s a top 5 gig. We played really well, it grooved, it rocked and the harmonies were on point. Crowd up and dancing. Fed and watered and paid and 20 minutes down the road. Shoulder sore after slinging Betsy two nights in a row but who cares?! Everyone should have a mate with his own pub in his garden!!

IMG_8768.jpeg

IMG_8770.jpeg

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 10

Gig number 2 on Saturday was at The Barrington Arms. 

Lovely landlord, nice boozer and a willing crowd got us over the finish line. Singer had a nasty cough and was losing her voice so we skipped a few of the more trying tunes and stretched others out to fill the time. All good.

• Like 6

Second night of the weekend. Twin BB2’s and the Aggie Tonehammer 350. Worked well and sounded great.

Cut down night as one guitarist was away, but Max and I have played together as three piece so no great problem. Good crowd. Time for a rest now

41D570F8-2116-4161-BD93-E888595F0671.jpeg

833C66EB-9B47-4E8E-B9A2-F7E7DF6EFE53.jpeg

• Like 9

Great night with the 70's Glam Rock covers band BLOCKBUSTARZ in Camelon Social Club near Falkirk.

Sold out tickets but they were still taking pay at the door. They were actually taking tables and chairs from other rooms to get more people in. Reckon about 150 folks in.

Stage was tiny with only enough space for drumkit and an amp each side. I had nowhere to move about tho. Both singers stood on the dance floor.

Dancing most songs from the word go after people got over the shock and awe of the band costumes. :laugh1:

Had some issues with noise levels because one of the other committee members decided it was a good idea to book another private function in the lounge next door. After some heated debate between committee members it was agreed by most that people were actually paying £12 a ticket to see the band.

Highlight of the night was when we had the lead singer from Hot Chocolate Kennie Simon sing You Sexy Thing with us in the 2nd set. Dance floor was absolutely choc a block for that one with women wanting their pic taken with him while he was singing. Our guitarist knows him and it turns out our drummer lived in same street as him and members of Sweet back in the day

He gave us some great comments that the band was excellent and very tight. Great musicians. I was fair chuffed with that.

All in all a good night and well paid too. Got paid at half time break and they wanted us back in November too and all arranged at the break between sets.

image.thumb.png.578f2a2adaf0a7fac15f80839a1cb942.png

image.thumb.png.9a277db523a833c4b65a27c21d62e707.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 14

Pice from last nights show at The Bend Theatre.

Not my best night. The Theatre was packed, around 350 people. Nice dressing rooms comped with high end pizza and drinks.

The real take away for me was, doing these hour and 20 minute theatre shows I find were positioned where were have to put more energy into the show than you would put into a 4 hour bar gig. I was wore out at the end of the show.

Blue

FB_IMG_1682228596468.jpg

FB_IMG_1682223097365.jpg

FB_IMG_1682222703991.jpg

FB_IMG_1682222679295.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, Merton said:

Played a party, depping for @Graham again as he… was a guest at the party 😀

No pressure then…. 😆

I had fun even if the acoustics were a bit crappy, it was either boom or toppy clank and nothing I did seemed to make much difference. Hopefully it sounded better out front!

Gave my new Zoot Funkmeister P5/32 an airing, man it’s such a comfortable instrument to play - thanks @Cosmicrain 😊

BCB5D372-A453-4EA0-A0B6-A087E73DF3DE.thumb.jpeg.0ffd4392870c015acfae6c33d9dfce4e.jpeg

Great to see you last night, the sound was quite bottom heavy but sounded good out front; I particularly like the picked sound -  was quite gutsy

Quick video of your new bass in action

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Great to see you last night, the sound was quite bottom heavy but sounded good out front; I particularly like the picked sound -  was quite gutsy

Quick video of your new bass in action

Thanks Graham, great to see you too!

I’d taken almost all the bass out of the rig by the time we played but being in the corner like that will have been giving me quite a decent acoustics boost - not my finest hour of knob twiddling it seems 😅

Pick sound was pretty good onstage too.

Much to learn!

• Like 2