Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Done 2 gigs this week with The ELO Experience. 

First one was at one of our favourite venues, The Severn Theatre in Shrewsbury. A superb venue, and our

sound guys reckon it's the best sounding theatre we do, and must admit I'd agree with them. Great capacity

crowd, all up for a good night. We played well and it was one of those gigs where everything just went great.

Second gig was at Redditch Palace Theatre. Small stage so I couldn't have my amp where I usually prefer it,

and wherever I stood I was in the way! (Maybe explains my serious face in the pic below!). Another sell out

gig, marred again by the delays on the journey home due to repairs to the M42. Getting to be a regular thing

now for us, nothing you can do though.

67b3e816-c37f-4ced-9b02-c8fdaed3eb1f.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

bb2f0d60-e572-4e58-aa34-549b1bad7a9b.JPG

f4354604-2335-4863-bd94-32e609e54e93.JPG

• Like 25

4 hours ago, casapete said:

First one was at one of our favourite venues, The Severn Theatre in Shrewsbury. A superb venue, and our

sound guys reckon it's the best sounding theatre we do, and must admit I'd agree with them. Great capacity

crowd, all up for a good night. We played well and it was one of those gigs where everything just went great.

Second gig was at Redditch Palace Theatre. Small stage so I couldn't have my amp where I usually prefer it,

and wherever I stood I was in the way! (Maybe explains my serious face in the pic below!). Another sell out

gig, marred again by the delays on the journey home due to repairs to the M42. Getting to be a regular thing

IMG_0012.JPG

Fantastic!

Blue

• Thanks 1

A weekend of Bandeoke for me. New venue Friday and an absolutely storming night. Paid to play another half an hour at the end so with tonight's wedding gig that's about 7 hours of playing . I could have done another couple of hours easily but then, strangely enough, had zero energy when it came to carrying the gear out to the car.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

First one of the year with the sideline, “hey it’s a gig”, covers band. An hour’s drive over lumpy Fen roads. Dep drummer (who was excellent) and last one with the outgoing singer. Rose & Crown, Manea, near(ish) to March. Band: 4 Play (ha ha etc). Seriously. I’m just the bass player, not my band. 

It was ok! We played well, though the guitarist is always a bit donkey strokes down up down up down up down up so the dynamics are never as lively as they need to be. Seems they have a regular crowd for gigs and a few musos among them. Some nice comments on my playing, tone and BVs which was cool!

A few weeks off and then it all goes mental busy with both bands again. Excellent.

My fingers are aware they haven’t gigged since early January 😆

EDIT: my bad, gear! Angelina this evening, the ‘burst Dimension. I will be buried with both of my Dimensions. Gallien Krueger RB700II into Barefaced Big Baby 2 Gen 3. The speaker simply makes the upstream sound very audible with no colouration. Having spent many years throwing humbuckers into GK amps, you don’t want to colour that, it’s done.72AFCC09-BF17-4BFE-8885-90A115041CC8.thumb.jpeg.654c3726e9e086560cdb4dda58b095e5.jpeg

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 8

First gig of the year for Mustang Sally last night after a 3 month R&R break. The venue was the Home Guard club at kilmington in Wiltshire, ideal for our bands Dads Army age group, but I couldn’t help wondering if the punters really needed a band at all in such a remote place. Needn’t have worried, very good crowd including a large gang of fit young horsey ladies who wanted to bop all night. Some bass-lead problems sorted on the fly, all in all a good evening.

• Like 11

Bloody awful! We were the penultimate band on a multi band line up for a charity gig. Just before we went on we were asked to cut our 1 hour set to 50 mins, not too onerous. We probably played no more that 35 mins of material and not all the strongest songs in the set. Sound on stage was awful (same backline for all the bands) and despite rehearsing well, cues were missed and it seems folk forgot how to count. 😤😡

I’ve done a charity gig previously, where the pick up band I was in was the penultimate act, exactly the same outcome. Never again.

• Sad 8

15 hours ago, casapete said:

IMG_0012.JPG

Some great pics there Pete.

Dave

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Some great pics there Pete.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Our monitor guy takes most of them, and am aware they’re all a bit samey so will

try to ring some changes! He’s got a new phone which does take amazing quality shots though.

Just found out that our new FOH tech Paul is also a talented photographer, as well as a great

bassist, so will see if he’ll do some too. The last couple above are his, taken from the desk.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, casapete said:

Thanks Dave. Our monitor guy takes most of them, and am aware they’re all a bit samey so will

try to ring some changes! He’s got a new phone which does take amazing quality shots though.

Just found out that our new FOH tech Paul is also a talented photographer, as well as a great

bassist, so will see if he’ll do some too. The last couple above are his, taken from the desk.

Your close up was taken from FOH ?  ......... He's good.

You need to work him more, he's new so wont know any better what his full job description is yet. :laugh1:

Maybe some vids too from FOH as the sound quality at the desk is usually the best place for it.

Dave

• Like 2

My band Toredown's monthly residence at the Shamrock in Ipswich last night but this time on a Saturday instead of a Friday - I was away last week and only came back late Friday.  Load in was OK but I had to park 5 mins walk away.  Ipswich on a Saturday is much busier than a Friday.  A few of our regulars turned out but also a lot of unfamiliar faces.  A couple of mistakes in the first set - nice jazz ending to badge, despite having played it a few hundred times before.  Second set was storming, think we won over a few of the new folks.  My first outing with the Eros EB-3.  I'll need to make the side dots more visible, I think, as I was struggling to see where I was some of the time.  Nice and comfy to play, though, and sat in the mix nicely.  My journey home was incident free for a change - no road closures on the bit of the A12 I have to drive along so just 1 hr 10 mins.  But of course the clocks going forward meant I got in at 2:30am. :( 

Here's a song from last night that's been uploaded onto Facebook, a Lonnie Mack tune called 'Ride The Blinds' which we've only played a couple of times but went down very well.

https://fb.watch/jvSlPb7adn/

• Like 9

I had a great gig last night at Wilsons in Aberdeen. Decent turnout and an enthusiastic audience. We had our guest air guitarist in the house too and he was rocking the Guitar Hero controller to great effect, gave the audience a right good laugh.

Played the wunkay last night, what a fantastic bass.

Unfortunately I came away with a blocked ear - maybe I pushed some wax in with my earplug. Off to the shower to see if I can steam it out.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Gig at the Royal Oak in Linthwaite, packed the house (we’re still world famous in Huddersfield apparently). Great night despite some technical probs (duff monitor, vocalists mic going down). Knackered this morning due to clocks changing. 

I think one of my 1st pub induced hangovers resulted from a few lunch time beers in the Royal Oak in Linthwaite.  I was knackered that afternoon - I don’t think it had anything to do with the movement of clocks though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was a first time outing for Sarum’s Lot at Laarsens Bar in Basingstoke last night, a reasonable crowd turned up and seemed to enjoy what we churned out, we’ve been invited back and a couple approached us to do a private party for them. Glad to have the spring upon us but am feeling a tad jaded having got to bed at 3am and then being on Grampy duties this morning….😴😴

https://www.facebook.com/peter.brown.92317/videos/6058598330891437/

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It was a first time outing for Sarum’s Lot at Laarsens Bar in Basingstoke last night, a reasonable crowd turned up and seemed to enjoy what we churned out, we’ve been invited back and a couple approached us to do a private party for them. Glad to have the spring upon us but am feeling a tad jaded having got to bed at 3am and then being on Grampy duties this morning….😴😴

https://www.facebook.com/peter.brown.92317/videos/6058598330891437/

The link to FB doesn't work. No content unless its on someone's private feed.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

The link to FB doesn't work. No content unless its on someone's private feed.

Dave

Hmm, I’m not really that familiar with sharing Facebook videos to be honest, it was a live video from my phone on my mic stand - I’ll have another look to see whether I can suss out what it doesn’t work😊

Give it another go, I’ve changed to public - hopefully that should do it😊

Edited by Thor
Update post
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Hmm, I’m not really that familiar with sharing Facebook videos to be honest, it was a live video from my phone on my mic stand - I’ll have another look to see whether I can suss out what it doesn’t work😊

Give it another go, I’ve changed to public - hopefully that should do it😊

Sounding good there, plus you have dancers, that's always a bonus. 👍

Dave

• Like 1

Last gig tonight till next Thursday. Then we run 3 gigs next week and 4 gigs the next week after that, and that looks like the trend for a while. We're booked to the gills, and more are pouring in, and new venues are calling daily. The smell of money really brings out the club owners. Showing that your most important piece of equipment is a following.

Edited by joel406
  • Like 8

First show of my 50s and my Goth duo Deadlight Dance did a Saturday afternoon slot at The Barge in Honeystreet. We played some of our favourite 80s tunes by The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and The Banshees etc, along with a few of our own from the forthcoming album. I don't think the landlady liked us (her opening gambit was "are you doing to be loud?" which was a strange thing to say to an acoustic duo) but she acknowledged we'd gone down really well so wanted to book us for a Saturday night. There was supposed to be a collection for the band that sadly didn't happen, despite several audience members asking but the headline was we did a 2hr set and played really well. Afterwards I posed for some selfies with a woman celebrating her 40th - she couldn't believe I was 50, which was sweet and one guy was impressed that I could play bass, mandolin, banjo, mandocello (he did have to ask what it was), sing and play a drum "to a high standard". A case of smoke and mirrors but you get it where you can! Nick (not pictured, the other half of the duo) and I did our first show together back in '89 and it's a genuine thrill that here we are in our 50th year. 

IMG_1581.thumb.JPG.102a1e33aa12faa8355f0f6948ae4b27.JPG

IMG_1587.thumb.JPG.bdcd1bdb3499169c8b56a64495c5122f.JPG

IMG_1586.thumb.JPG.9b336984c187fd197af9b09f463e0cc8.JPG

• Like 12

10 hours ago, neepheid said:

Unfortunately I came away with a blocked ear - maybe I pushed some wax in with my earplug. Off to the shower to see if I can steam it out.

Euw time, but had my lugs cleaned on Friday. Twice a year without fail. I use moulded plugs and for sure wax plus regular in ear use ends in blockage. 

Edited by moley6knipe