Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Had a support slot for Ipswich based 80s metal band Woden Forge's reunion gig.  Venue 77 in Ipswich, which is basically a warehouse tucked behind a pub with a tented ceiling.  Stage wasn't massive, Woden Forge boys had set up by the time we arrived so we had to squeeze onto the tiny bit of space left available to us.  Sound was amazing, absolutely crystal clear.  We've had the same engineer on other gigs and he is great.  We played a 45 minute set to the sell out crowd of 200 and I reckon most if not all of them were there when we fired up.  We played well (I made a couple of mistakes but nothing crazy) and we went down really well with a crowd who were absolutely up for it.  Lots of people came up afterwards to say how much they enjoyed the set.  Apparently the whole of the Woden Forge gig, plus our last two songs, went out on a live radio stream.  I also understand that our set was recorded on the desk, so hopefully we can get our hands on that.  A great night, assisted by a completely hold-up free journey home along the A12.

• Like 13

Last night I was on bass as part of an acoustic duo as the drummer and guitarist couldn't make the date. It was a standard Cheltenham race meet affair. Basically a mix of old blokes in tweed demanding Irish songs, young blokes in unintentionally hilarious ‘Peaky Blinders’ fancy dress, women in jodhpurs with a dead bird on their head and orange girls apparently live streaming themselves posing into their phone screen all night. All of whom are screaming the word ‘Oasis’ in perpetuity. 
standard. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just remembered this for a couple of weeks ago...played a gig at the bar mentioned above, and there was a nice couple in their 50s, seen them before in there, sitting at a table by the very small corner stage where we were playing. They were enthusiastic, listening, and applauded, even shouted for an encore. After we'd finished, some friends of ours were playing across the road, a couple of doors down, and we could hear they had a later slot than us, so before we broke everything down, we popped across the road to see how it was going. Ten minutes later, I'm outside having a vape, and was standing next to the same couple...this was the conversation:

Bloke from couple, pointing to band still playing: 'They're good, aren't they?'

Me: 'Yeah, very.'

Wife from couple: 'There was a good band over the road, too; they've just finished.'

Me: 'Yeah, you were at the table at the front'

Couple: 'Errr...yeah?...'

Me: You know that bloke stood on stage for two hours eight feet from you? On the left? Your left?'

Couple: 'Errr...yeah?'

Me (pointing to my head, doing the Fozzy Bear thing): ....

I gave up at that point...sometimes picking up a bass does activate the Klingon Cloaking  Device... 

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Muzz said:

Just remembered this for a couple of weeks ago...played a gig at the bar mentioned above, and there was a nice couple in their 50s, seen them before in there, sitting at a table by the very small corner stage where we were playing. They were enthusiastic, listening, and applauded, even shouted for an encore. After we'd finished, some friends of ours were playing across the road, a couple of doors down, and we could hear they had a later slot than us, so before we broke everything down, we popped across the road to see how it was going. Ten minutes later, I'm outside having a vape, and was standing next to the same couple...this was the conversation:

Bloke from couple, pointing to band still playing: 'They're good, aren't they?'

Me: 'Yeah, very.'

Wife from couple: 'There was a good band over the road, too; they've just finished.'

Me: 'Yeah, you were at the table at the front'

Couple: 'Errr...yeah?...'

Me: You know that bloke stood on stage for two hours eight feet from you? On the left? Your left?'

Me (pointing to my head, doing the Fozzy Bear thing): ....

I gave up at that point...sometimes picking up a bass does activate the Klingon Cloaking  Device... 

Yep I've had the 'are you a musician question' thing at the interval before now 🙂

Just finished playing support at SGW3 for Kiefer Sutherland on the first leg of his UK tour.

Went ok, didn't fall off the stage and any bottles of p!ss managed to avoid me.

I kept mis-timing when the lights went up, but there were quite a few people there, honest.

20221026_201203.jpg

• Like 9

Day 2, Aberdeen Beach Ballroom. 

We met Mr Sutherland today, who was very pleasant.

Another good sized crowd, obviously not there to see us, but appreciative and friendly and they seemed to enjoy our set. We're stylistically similar to his music, so it's a dream support slot for us.

For some reason, I always seem to have my eyes closed in these pictures now...

20221027_200747.jpg

IMG-20221027-WA0059.jpg

• Like 8

Just got home from my Musical Youth gig at Hootnanny in Brixton and winding down with a cuppa.
It went really well the sound quality especially the bass i thought was exceptional, and when I got off stage I had a number of conversations with punters including some who told me they were bass players raving about the gig, complimentary of my playing and the sound of my bass. Always good to hear, and honestly that bass is such an incredible sounding instrument and played through Alembic F-1X/SF-2, power amp and Barefaced cabs is just something else. I think giving the FOH my sound from the post pre-amp signal via the DI worked really well tonight.  It is something i have been doing for reggae gigs as my norm unless the sound guys explicitly request otherwise.

The team at the venue really took their time to give us a great sound.A11B7A3E-C6B9-4AE4-B625-EFDB75A08B5E.thumb.jpeg.8b678011e09d12c1833eee699dd3673f.jpeg

That is my reggae setup (Picture is from another gig). 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Just got home from my Musical Youth gig at Hootnanny in Brixton and winding down with a cuppa.
It went really well the sound quality especially the bass i thought was exceptional, and when I got off stage I had a number of conversations with punters including some who told me they were bass players raving about the gig, complimentary of my playing and the sound of my bass. Always good to hear, and honestly that bass is such an incredible sounding instrument and played through Alembic F-1X/SF-2, power amp and Barefaced cabs is just something else. I think giving the FOH my sound from the post pre-amp signal via the DI worked really well tonight.  It is something i have been doing for reggae gigs as my norm unless the sound guys explicitly request otherwise.

The team at the venue really took their time to give us a great sound.A11B7A3E-C6B9-4AE4-B625-EFDB75A08B5E.thumb.jpeg.8b678011e09d12c1833eee699dd3673f.jpeg

That is my reggae setup (Picture is from another gig). 

Nice bass, what is it ?

Dave

28 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep i think you might be right enough. 👍

Not seen a black Alembic before, i tend to like the wood finishes.

Dave

Yes, you are both right it is an Alembic.  When originally made it was based on their Europa model with the following custom options. Elan style headstock and narrow neck, signature electronics (vol, blend, 2 filters and 2 position q-switches), side neck LEDs. I recently had an upgrade from Alembic to their anniversary electronics, (vol,vol, 2x 3 position q-switches, mono/stereo switch and pickup switch selector with mute which I haven't yet drilled a hole for).
I too prefer wood finishes on any bass or guitar for that matter and this is the only solid coloured bass I own. A few years ago I did plan to have it refinished to remove the black and reveal the flame maple woods. However, based on the previous interest i'd had from rock band bass players especially ones covering Metallica tracks,. I decided it may be better to leave it as is. 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

Yes, you are both right it is an Alembic.  When originally made it was based on their Europa model with the following custom options. Elan style headstock and narrow neck, signature electronics (vol, blend, 2 filters and 2 position q-switches), side neck LEDs. I recently had an upgrade from Alembic to their anniversary electronics, (vol,vol, 2x 3 position q-switches, mono/stereo switch and pickup switch selector with mute which I haven't yet drilled a hole for).
I too prefer wood finishes on any bass or guitar for that matter and this is the only solid coloured bass I own. A few years ago I did plan to have it refinished to remove the black and reveal the flame maple woods. However, based on the previous interest i'd had from rock band bass players especially ones covering Metallica tracks,. I decided it may be better to leave it as is. 

Funny thing, my least favourite finish on a bass is the natural wood grain one although the darker ones are nice...Ibanez Musician for example 

4 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Funny thing, my least favourite finish on a bass is the natural wood grain one although the darker ones are nice...Ibanez Musician for example 

We are a fickle bunch aren't we? 🙂

I have a dislike of Blue basses🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

We are indeed which is why we are now spoilt for choice when it comes to buying basses, with makers offering virtually any finish we want. I definitely prefer darker woods.

Yes, we are....I don't generally like painted basses of any color except for black or white, coffee table wood slabs, stuff mixed with resins, anything that looks like a teenager's hair color, and maple necks. If I can see the wood grain through the stain, that's okay though. Oh...and pickup covers, especially the wood ones. 

And slab-bodied single cutaways....

And anything "distressed" artificially...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Altho i generally prefer the wood finish on Alembics i have to admit i definitely like yours. I wouldn't change the finish. It must be quite a rare finish too.

Dave