Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='teej' post='314877' date='Oct 26 2008, 08:15 AM']That'll be Kitty, Daisy and Lewis, then? Sounds like a truly annoying masterwork of mis-management from this organiser. At least you got paid, but shame about missing the party. :)[/quote]

Just checked out their myspace. Yep, that's them. According to the pictures and blurb, Mom plays the upright, so I don't feel so bad.

I though the parents seemed lovely, but the kids were a bit "spoilt brat" for me. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night.

As for mis-management, it appeared to be organised by a "hanger on" from her entourage. He was lucky he didn't get a kicking that night, there were several people getting majorly p***ed off with him (not just us).

Edited by Huge Hands

Saturday night, Queen Vic at Northowram near Halifax

Great pub with a very friendly crowd in with plenty of dancing so for an encore we rolled out Wig Wam Bam that we had practised for functions and as predicted by me and our singer it went down an absolute storm with some very suggestive dancing being done in our direction !!

Great gig and two next weekend......can't wait :)

We did a Charity gig in Welwyn on Saturday night, so no fee for playing but it gave us a really good opportunity to try out some new numbers (and Clarky's Ric 4003!)

There were 2 bands on the bill (us and a group called Powerfade- good guys) and we each did 2 sets.

Apart from completely forgetting the lyrics during Stuck in the Middle and screwing up the Middle 8 in Learn to Fly, we went down a storm and played 3 encores, which resulted in a jam of White Room with the other band's drummer and guitarist (including a bass solo of some description).

Didn't get in to gone 2am and had my usual can't sleep after a gig night.

I took the GB Shuttle 6 and Epifani UL310 to play through (only the vocals went through the PA) and played the Jazz bass and the Ric; both sounded immense. The other bassist used my rig too and I had a chance to hear it from the audience. He was playing a Jazz bass too and the whole thing so sat nice and tight in the mix.

A very good evening all in all.

To set the scene for this, we rang up the club we were supposed to be playing on Nov 1st from rehearsal and were told they thought we'd have got another gig by now (the club was damaged by a fire recently and they've been busy refurbishing it). No, we'd left that booking as it was. Tw@s.

So yesterday we turned up to another club, to a gig which had been postponed because they'd been putting up new curtains or summat. Only trouble was that someone else also turned up (one of these pub singers with backing tapes) and told our keyboard player that he was booked in so tough sh*t (there are better ways of telling another band that there's been a double booking). Turned out that the secretary (who likes us enough to have booked us for her 60th birthday do earlier this year) had forgotten to put us in the diary and the club chairman had booked the arrogant tw@ a couple of weeks ago (hence him being an untouchable). At least we're getting paid for it. We left, hoping that the audience of zero that he had by then would represent "John Williams, the local Matt Munro"'s best turn-out of the night.

Saturday, turned up to play at a pub we'd been booked at after a week of is it on or off...
Pub's had a new sound system plumbed in in the back room and linked up for the DJ to use from the front room - think there was something wrong with their electrics as we had loads of (pre-tested) kettle leads go down on us with blown fuses, plus the mains fuse on my guitar amp. PA wrong as well as the crossover for the horn/driver arrangement in the cab had gone wrong so we turned the powered monitors round to face the stage and actually got a very good sound.

2nd set was by far the best and probably better than the third, during which my amp appeared to give up.
Think we might need a power conditioner if we go back there again

Edited by john_the_bass

Tiny Pub gig, a celibration party and we were to play an hour. It went absolutely amazing. Great soundman, funnily enough also a bassplayer, and I stood next to the drummer... we just had great fun on stage, jamming away and playing brick in the wall as a request. Too bad I never have a feeling like this about a gig after something bigger :)

New pub for us as we travelled north to the Harlow Inn at Harrogate

Easy load in and set up with plenty of room.

Very friendly crowd but slightly confusing as a quarter of the pub were really up for it and others quite subdued but mid second set we won them over and had a good dance floor going

Bit of a disjointed gig as our guitarist broke 3 !! yes 3 "A" strings so during Mustang we played without him so he could re-string ( only had two guitars with him )

All in another good gig and getting used to my ER20's now ( and feeling so much better post gig and morning after )

Another top gig last night, Derby Arms, Colne. Nice stage, pity there weren't more people though, maybe bonfire night kept a few away.

First time really I've been able to crank the Pro 400 up to it's full potential. Standing in front of it, taking in some proper chest thumping tone was a real pleasure. Both the Stingray and the jazz sounded immense, and I think now I've found the perfect gigging combination with this setup, effect free tone, punchy and clear, but with some lovely thump too. I reckon with the 1x15 extension cab, taking the rig up to 500W, it'd be absolutely mega, so maybe I'll have a look around for the cab.

I'm finding since the arrival of the amp, I'm using the EQ on the basses more too. I never really explored the pre on the ray before, prefering a flat setting and adjusting the amp. I've decided that I prefer to set the amp up for a general gig tone, and cutting and boosting highs and lows on the bass, it seems a more useable way in a live setting.

Anyway, bring on the next one.

Edited by Rayman

Belle Vue at High Wycombe with The Worried Men last night. Lovely atmos and packed out ,always a pleasure to do this one. Used my Jazz 'Frankenbass' fretless for set one and my hot rodded P with Dimarzios for set two. Downside is a long drive home and when I parked up outside my house I literally couldnt move out of the seat cos my back was playing up! So there I am at 3am contemplating calling the missus out of bed! Well after sitting there like a lemon for quite a while I managed to scrape myself out of the car (it was just like a scene from 'Ab Fab'. Im getting too old for this malarkey!

• Thanks 1

Wedding doing a dep for my regular dep acoustic ceilidh band: Fiddle, accordian, Django acoustic and me plus caller.

Nasty migraine from 8 til 11 am meant I was feeling very fuzzy indeed all day so decided to play safe and play my new old 4 string Fender P bass rather than the Stagg upright or my E-C strung Shuker 5 bolt on I normally use for this gig. Both of those take some fairly serious brain power which I didn't expect to be available :)
A rather dark venue, even though I took my little lights along, meant I missed the light up side markers from the Shukers. Have to address that, I think.

Lots of enthusiastic and good dancing from the particularly nice looking crowd ( :huh: ) and expert, gentle, calling resulted in a fine night. Teh adrenaline cleared out my fuzzy brain and I was feeling fine by the end.

It's always strange playing close to home these days and I was in the front door about 25 minutes after the last note was played :huh: Quite a contrast to my main band (based in England) where there's an hour's dismantle and an hour's drive home to do, usually.

The P bass (through my powered monitor wedge for me and DI'd to the little PA for the crowd) worked well though I think a thumper may find its way into it at some point

This weeks been a bit odd for us. Had 4 gigs lined up, played wednesday, sold out, made enough money to press the EP. all good.

Thursday had to cancel, Friday had to cancel, Saturday had to cancel.

off to Leamington spa next saturday. bit of a trek but should be good.

[quote name='OldGit' post='320348' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:32 PM']Wedding doing a dep for my regular dep acoustic ceilidh band: Fiddle, accordian, Django acoustic and me plus caller.

Nasty migraine from 8 til 11 am meant I was feeling very fuzzy indeed all day so decided to play safe and play my new old 4 string Fender P bass rather than the Stagg upright or my E-C strung Shuker 5 bolt on I normally use for this gig. Both of those take some fairly serious brain power which I didn't expect to be available :)
A rather dark venue, even though I took my little lights along, meant I missed the light up side markers from the Shukers. Have to address that, I think.

Lots of enthusiastic and good dancing from the particularly nice looking crowd ( :huh: ) and expert, gentle, calling resulted in a fine night. Teh adrenaline cleared out my fuzzy brain and I was feeling fine by the end.

It's always strange playing close to home these days and I was in the front door about 25 minutes after the last note was played :huh: Quite a contrast to my main band (based in England) where there's an hour's dismantle and an hour's drive home to do, usually.

The P bass (through my powered monitor wedge for me and DI'd to the little PA for the crowd) worked well though I think a thumper may find its way into it at some point[/quote]

Nothing like a gig close to home :huh:

[quote name='Crikey!' post='320363' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:54 PM']This weeks been a bit odd for us. Had 4 gigs lined up, played wednesday, sold out, made enough money to press the EP. all good.

Thursday had to cancel, Friday had to cancel, Saturday had to cancel.

off to Leamington spa next saturday. bit of a trek but should be good.[/quote]

You guys were great on Wednesday, I might have another couple of gigs lined up for you at the same venue.

I'm with OG what happened to the rest of the gigs?

thursday 3 of the band booked tickets to go to thorpe park instead.. so i had to make up an excuse for the promoter.

friday nobody bothered to ask our drummer if he could do it so a few days before we realised that we didnt have a drummer..

saturday our guitarist split his head open at work. text me from the ambulance saying he might not be able to do it.

stupid.

stupid stupid stupid.

really annoying.

now we dont have a gig for another week. I get all funny if we dont play for more than a few days. i dont like it.

[quote name='Crikey!' post='320595' date='Nov 2 2008, 11:43 PM']thursday 3 of the band booked tickets to go to thorpe park instead.. so i had to make up an excuse for the promoter.

friday nobody bothered to ask our drummer if he could do it so a few days before we realised that we didnt have a drummer..

saturday our guitarist split his head open at work. text me from the ambulance saying he might not be able to do it.

stupid.

stupid stupid stupid.

really annoying.

now we dont have a gig for another week. I get all funny if we dont play for more than a few days. i dont like it.[/quote]

Gay, is ollie alright?

We played our last gig, a wedding, until early December at Wolsey Hall in Herts. Great venue, the staff were really helpful and had obviously been working together for a long time. A stark contrast to the bitchy golf clubs and chain hotels we've played at. The load in was reasonably easy although a long walk. The set up was reasonably easy too, lots of space although no stage as such. I also took the opportunity to give the Smith one last go before shipping it to its new owner.

The first dance was one of the best we've seen because the couple knew how to dance properly and the song they picked was a great choice. When we started the first song, everyone was on the dancefloor which was an excellent sign. We also had a last minute drum dep who is best friends with the percussionist's son and he faced the prospect of learning about 34 songs in a week. All things considered he did an outstanding job, there were a few fluffs but we've had a lot worse from other deps who have considerably more experience under their belts.

As the night wore on, the crowd were very entertaining to watch. There are occasional gigs we do when there's so much love in the air, that its palpable and this was one of them. Everyone was friends and dancing inhibitions were left at the door. There was one couple who trotted out every single disco cliche in the book and were just grinning from ear to ear while doing it. They could have probably danced more conservatively but they were going to have fun and clown around instead. Watching the punters do that is great, it makes the job of performing that much easier and enjoyable. Occasionally we get a cracking crowd like that and we know the nights going to go well. There was a free bar as well and, although we didn't go overboard it was nice to have a glass of decent red between sets and free run of the cheese board too.

Our band also sold out tickets for our only public gig in January on Friday afternoon in about 3 hours. Turns out that 7 of those tickets were bought by another band who are effectively in competition with us. Hmmmm! Hinteresting.

[quote name='OldGit' post='320348' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:32 PM']worked well though I think a thumper may find its way into it at some point[/quote]
Do you mean by that something like a [url="http://www.thebuttkicker.com/musicians/products/bkp_kit.htm"]buttkicker[/url]? Because I have the unit currently screwed to a lump of ply that never gets used if you are looking for one.

Or have I just got the wrong end of the stick?

[quote name='WalMan' post='320868' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:50 PM']Do you mean by that something like a [url="http://www.thebuttkicker.com/musicians/products/bkp_kit.htm"]buttkicker[/url]? Because I have the unit currently screwed to a lump of ply that never gets used if you are looking for one.

Or have I just got the wrong end of the stick?[/quote]

Hey thanks .. Actually I mean a Wizard Thumper pick up ... :)
[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass[/url]

I did two deps this weekend with a local (Exeter) heavy rock band, "Thin Purple Snake". 31 songs in the set of which I'd only played half before!

Friday - "The Ferret and Radiator", Halloween Party in a Grotty pub in Dawlish. Grotty but really great atmosphere, good local support, and loads of drunken totty! Christ they played very very LOUD!!!!! Thank Fcuk I had my earplugs!!

Saturday - Did a short set at the Wellington Music Day, as a charity freebie. We were sandwiched between a succession of acoustic performers, all of whom were given plenty of encouragement by the organisers ("come on everyone lets give them another round of applause.... didn't they do well...!"), while [b][i]we[/i][/b] were cut short by five minutes and the curtains were closed as we were still actually playing the last notes.

The atmosphere in the green room when we came off was absolutely appalling, and no-one thanked us for turning out on such a foul night. Small minded politics I think, as the event was largely organised by the headline act....

Not only did not get paid to drive the 40 mile round trip, I also had to pay for two guests (friends down for the weekend) to see us being humiliated!!

Absolutely not the bands' fault, and I am all in favour of supporting charity events, but it doesn't leave a good taste when this happens!!

Last night was covers band at a club in Rolleston, near Burton on Trent. A touch of the "Phoenix Nights" about it, but went well.

Apart from one song where I use my 2nd bass normally tuned (all other songs are half a step down but the keyboard can't do this one down). Ozzy, Mr Crowley. Anyway, I check the tuning during the intro and think "that's odd, it doesn't appear to be able to pick up a signal". Reach the end of the intro so take a gamble and come in. Everything seems fine for about half a verse, then it all goes dead! After 10 seconds of me checking all leads etc I revert back to the other bass and carry on, everything working fine.

Apart from the fact that this bass is tuned down! Got through it moving everything up one fret and remembering not to play open strings. however, I may have looked like I was concentrating more than normal.

Oh, and I had a drunk girl come up to me afterwards and tell me that my bass was bigger than me! Charming.

Edited by Steve_nottm

Last night's gig was cool.
I wasn't playing though, just working!
Last night of Queen's Euro tour, i'm not involved with the S. America bit.
35 (ish) shows and not once did I get bored of Bo Rhap!
When i get some time I'll put some more pics up on the other thread i did with some shots of early on in the tour.
Now i'm back home i'm gonna have a week or two off, not leave the house and finally get around to some serious playing and practicing.
Hopefully some of my mates are free so we can get some studio time and have a proper play.

I'm looking forward to taking onboard the info and help you guys have given me via a couple of other threads i've put up.
Cheers.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='325430' date='Nov 9 2008, 06:18 PM']Last night's gig was cool.
I wasn't playing though, just working!
Last night of Queen's Euro tour, i'm not involved with the S. America bit.
35 (ish) shows and not once did I get bored of Bo Rhap!
When i get some time I'll put some more pics up on the other thread i did with some shots of early on in the tour.
Now i'm back home i'm gonna have a week or two off, not leave the house and finally get around to some serious playing and practicing.
Hopefully some of my mates are free so we can get some studio time and have a proper play.

I'm looking forward to taking onboard the info and help you guys have given me via a couple of other threads i've put up.
Cheers.[/quote]

Haha not quite the covers gig at the Dog and Duck we are used to on here.

Good work my friend