Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='330071' date='Nov 16 2008, 01:14 PM']We (Meet Me In Vegas) Played at The Stone Roses Bar in York on friday night with Radio Gypsy!

It was a pretty small pub but it turned out to be a great venue!

it was our first ever gig and it went really well! thank god! haha! not a bad turn out either! :)

[attachment=16040:DSCF3126.JPG][/quote]
I used to drink there when I was a student and it was called The Grapes. I liked that pub, glad they're doing the live music thing which the Grapes tried and failed miserably at IIRC.

[quote name='simon1964' post='329158' date='Nov 14 2008, 02:43 PM']Fairly routine gig for us at a pub we play regularly in Nottingham. Although my son, who turned 18 last week, turned up with some of his mates and bought me a pint for the first time (legally at least!). Which made me feel very old......[/quote]

Which one mate? I'm a Nottingham dweller too.

Played at the 500 capacity Bloomsbury Theatre last night in the UCL Funk band. It was my first time playing anything like that and only had one run through but it went really well. Played Jungle Boogie, Let's get it on & Play that funky music. So nice playing in a proper venue with decent sound & monitors.

Anyway playing in a big funk band is what I have always dreamed of doing and it felt good :)

Bullet Bar in Kentish Town - we were OK but not at best (me having flu didn't help), but thankfully audience didn't seem to notice and jumped round a lot - here's a few pics of me playing newest bass, MIA Jazz (gotta be honest, looks the biz but didn't get on as well with it as with my P basses)

[attachment=16187:live_pict.jpg][attachment=16188:live_pict_2.jpg][attachment=16189:live_pict_3.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='jon_kemo' post='330110' date='Nov 16 2008, 02:55 PM']Have meaning to post on the site more often so what better place than to talk about last nights gig! Was with my metal/classic rock covers band Rulebreaker at The Sitwell Tavern in Derby. Second time we have played there and after what we thought was a dodgy first gig so were all keen to show everyone what we were really like! Despite a pre-gig fight between some of the locals we went down really well and have hopefully got some bike rally work for the future.

Only downside was still not being able to hear myself properly but I put that down to the position of my amp on the somewhat cramped stage that was half taken up by a boxing simulator that "couldn't be moved"![/quote]

Hi Jon - How are you finding the Jazz?!

Bit of a weird one, turned up to watch our drummer dept for T Alan and 2 bands had pulled out so I gave our guitard a ring and he came down so we played though over peoples equipment.

Ben from T Alan lent me his G & L and his Ashdown amp, lovely bass but I really don't like Ashdowns, played for about 20 minutes was a bit of spontaneous fun, we had to change our name again because the other guitarist doesn't like us playing with our name when he isn't there (I know) so tonight we were Steve and the Suckjobs.

Did a kind of unplugged gig with the former main band (the one I don't gig with much anymore). Good to see all the fellas again and everyone was up for it, band and audience alike. Our drummer was playing standing up with snare & brushes in a rockabilly sytlee, and I dusted of my lovely old Precision for the night.

The setlist was made up on the spot, more or less. We did all the stuff we used to really enjoy: Little Feat, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, Jefferson Airplane, The Band, Dylan, Stones, Beatles etc etc. Lots of cool jams and "hittin' the note" nicely.

By chance we have another gig next weekend with the same band in its electric format. Its a couple of days before my 40th, and the start of a potentially very messy week off work. Can't wait.

Out tonight at a remote country pub, rather like a really cool living room with a good bar in. And I'm not driving :)

Not a bad night considering a short layoff & no r/h managed in the interim, though the night started with #1 guitarists revalved amp packing up, then the second amp #2 guitarist whizzed home and fetched took a dislike to #1 guit and stopped. Luckily #2 had picked up a third combo that he used whilst #1 used his Boogie. After that hiatus we got going 5-10 mins late so not too bad.

My smug alert was brought crashing to an end when our sound guy pointed out I had:
[list=1]
[*]Plugged my vocal mic into the wrong socket on the stage box (I counted 1 from the top & it was numbering 1 from the bottom
[*]failed to DI my bass at all
[/list] - OOPS!

Bumped into BumNote (played a fair few myself ) :) and had a quick chinwag in the abbreviated break necessitated by the late start. Always good to meet other BC'ers

Realised Wednesday when I restrung the G&L that the old set (which I did wonder about when I put them on) were completely knackered. The new Elixirs are back to their wonderfully zingy self (along with Peds SVTGrit patch in the BOB) YUM me like!

New gig tomorrow night (well tonight now) at The Royal Oak East Wittering. Not sure what to expect but have been told it is a good gig & crowd. We'll soon put a stop to that :huh:

Hi all

We played at new venue that's just opened up in my home village. We decided to do a charity gig to raise money for [url="http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/newcastle-campaigns/seaton-delaval-hall/"]this National Trust appeal[/url]. It's a 150 seater, and I'm happy to say we sold it out! Apparently there was enough demand to justify a second night. Maybe next time, though...

We raised over £1000, which was nice.

The North East's top PA company very kindly offered their services, so it sounded great. They haven't had a band on at the hall yet, so it was a bit of a shock for them when we rolled the flightcases in. ha ha.

I also borrowed Mr. Warwickhunt's Aggie DB112 cabs. They sounded bloody marvellous...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='334238' date='Nov 22 2008, 08:10 AM']Hi all

We played at new venue that's just opened up in my home village. We decided to do a charity gig to raise money for [url="http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/newcastle-campaigns/seaton-delaval-hall/"]this National Trust appeal[/url]. It's a 150 seater, and I'm happy to say we sold it out! Apparently there was enough demand to justify a second night. Maybe next time, though...

The North East's top PA company very kindly offered their services, so it sounded great. They haven't had a band on at the hall yet, so it was a bit of a shock for them when we rolled the flightcases in. ha ha.

I also borrowed Mr. Warwickhunt's Aggie DB112 cabs. They sounded bloody marvellous...[/quote]

I wish I could have been there... especially after receiving your text during the SC :huh:

The band look in fine fettle and I look forward to hearing the full review soon. :huh:

Must go, I'm now waiting for Bassoctopus to come and borrow my TF... what is it with bass players and gear. :)

We played at new venue that's just opened up in my home village. We decided to do a charity gig to raise money for [url="http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/newcastle-campaigns/seaton-delaval-hall/"]this National Trust appeal[/url].

I also borrowed Mr. Warwickhunt's Aggie DB112 cabs. They sounded bloody marvellous...[/quote]

'kin 'ell. Somebody's stuck a pair of old second hand basses in the pics so I get distracted from viewing the aggies :)
You want to get them shifted , mate. Tell you what - £300 spots for the pair and I'm cutting my hand off.

Top effort on the fundraising front - caps doffed.

We were in York last night. My nemesis venue where I always get injured (sprained ankle once , broken toe once , back strain , black eye etc etc). Injury free last night though and really enjoyed playing to a small (the venue's small but it was rammed ) very enthusiastic audience - some of whom laughed at my gags - told them to get out more!

2 things of note. No.1 don't drop your strap 2" 10 mins before a gig in an attempt to look cool and then expect the A string to be where it should be !!

No2 - the correct answer, in York, to the question 'can I have a pint of John Smiths , please ' actually IS '£2.70'. They're not telling lies or anything.
I thought they'd hung Dick Turpin not made him chair of the Lic.Vits.Assoc.

First 'real' gig for 22 years last night at the Huntsman Tavern, Salisbury. Since you ask, it was bloody fantastic. A decent crowd c.100 - pub probably holds 150-200 tops. I played miles better than I expected and really started enjoying myself after the first three songs. Plenty of dancing from the crowd for the latter part of the set and two unplanned encores. Landlord really good to deal with, we ended up with £250 - can't be bad.

On the strength of last night we were offered a support slot at City Hall, Salisbury sometime next year, which I still can't quite get my head around

Didn't get to bed till 2am - dangerous at my age and to be honest I still haven't come down from it all. I'll post some pictures when I get them.

Its good to be back

First pic:

[attachment=16270:__lets_rock___.jpg]

Edited by deaver

Fantastic pictures!

New gig, but probably not to be repeated. Another faintly Deliverance gig, for which Max & Mike are going to work up Duelling Banjos for the future

Played OK, probably better that last night by a smidge, but we had to put up with one particular twat acting up in front of his mates. He stood with his head virtually in one of the cabs, then loudly moaned we were making him deaf. He also seemed to be spoiling for a fight with one chappie who was a bit barking (or possibly just p155ed), but completely unaware of what was going on. I had to congratulate Steve at the end of the night for sticking to a verbal comment & not lumping le tosseur.

Shame it was that one that #1 son & g/f came to. Ah well she gets to see what his sad old man gets up to at the weekend and probably thinks :) WHY!? :huh:

[quote name='WalMan' post='334687' date='Nov 23 2008, 01:07 AM']New gig, but probably not to be repeated. Another faintly Deliverance gig, for which Max & Mike are going to work up Duelling Banjos for the future

Played OK, probably better that last night by a smidge, but we had to put up with one particular twat acting up in front of his mates. He stood with his head virtually in one of the cabs, then loudly moaned we were making him deaf. He also seemed to be spoiling for a fight with one chappie who was a bit barking (or possibly just p155ed), but completely unaware of what was going on. I had to congratulate Steve at the end of the night for sticking to a verbal comment & not lumping le tosseur.

Shame it was that one that #1 son & g/f came to. Ah well she gets to see what his sad old man gets up to at the weekend and probably thinks :) WHY!? :huh:[/quote]
Congrats on keeping it together! We had some twats like that last year at Horatios on the Pier in Brighton and it all ended up in tears after one of them tried to half-inch one of the guitars...

Just got back from the Master Mariner in Brighton and it was a cracking night! Venue was pretty full, everyone dancing and singing along, really good sound.. Just what you want for all the effort luging gear around in the freezing cold!

What never ceases to surprise me is the impact of Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now' on an audience. Of all the songs we do, that one just connects with people more than anything else.. Our singer Pete always keeps the crowd singing along after we've finished it and sometimes, they keep going for 2 or 3 minutes.. Amazing! :huh:

Anyway, that's enough post-gig chuntering from me.. G'night to one and all!

[quote name='deaver' post='334323' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:48 AM']First 'real' gig for 22 years last night at the Huntsman Tavern, Salisbury. Since you ask, it was bloody fantastic. A decent crowd c.100 - pub probably holds 150-200 tops. I played miles better than I expected and really started enjoying myself after the first three songs. Plenty of dancing from the crowd for the latter part of the set and two unplanned encores. Landlord really good to deal with, we ended up with £250 - can't be bad.

On the strength of last night we were offered a support slot at City Hall, Salisbury sometime next year, which I still can't quite get my head around

Didn't get to bed till 2am - dangerous at my age and to be honest I still haven't come down from it all. I'll post some pictures when I get them.

Its good to be back

First pic:

[attachment=16270:__lets_rock___.jpg][/quote]

You look cool, my first thought was "Is that Robert de Leo?"

(New bass, new bass!)

:)

Paul.

Bad start but good ending to my gig last night, we played at a PTA dance at a local school. I got stressed setting up the PA because no matter what I did I could only get two of our four monitors working, then a fuse blew in one of the power amps so we had to soundcheck with no monitors at all. Managed to get everything sorted out while the punters were tucking in to their dinner but because of all the hassle it took me a fair while to relax into bass player mode when we started playing.

As it turned out the audience were really up for it, the dancefloor started filling up from the second song and we kept them there for the rest of the evening. The fact that two of our singers are teachers at the school probably helped a little bit.

Went really well, they were clapping after every song :) !
There was even a couple of punters wanting to know what certain songs were at least 6 asked about Bill Withers "Use me " which we do!
And gave out loads of cards so all good, except that the bar next door had a tv on a nd i was watching who got put out on xfactor and screwed up "How sweet it is, James Taylor" mind completely went blank !! DOOOOOOH !

Made up for it though in "Come together" ripped off Marcus's fills and got admiring looks sadly not from any of the big booted ladies that were present . :huh:

[quote name='paul h' post='334709' date='Nov 23 2008, 08:32 AM']You look cool, my first thought was "Is that Robert de Leo?"

(New bass, new bass!)

:)

Paul.[/quote]

Shameless behaviour by the pair of us. Suffice to say lottery numbers didn't come up. I'll bear you in mind for next week

Brillaint it was. Our last public gig of the year, our last gig with our pregnant singer before she goes on maternity leave, and it was an absolute stonker. A few little very minor cock ups here and there but generally really really good fun.

The only niggles were my pedal board acting VERY strange during soundcheck. Turned out our male singer had shoved his pedal bag on top of the power supplies for my pedals, making them overheat and bending the wires causing odd power fluctuations - if he's caused permanent damage to the Trace 18V one I'll be angry :) But I moved his bag, gave the adaptors breathing space and everything was hunky dory for the rest of the night. In fact it was the most fun I've had at a gig for a long time and my bass sounded f**king brilliant, even if I do say so myself :huh: