Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Another Xmas party at Knebworth House...... What a bash.... Manufacturer of wind turbines..... Fantastic dinner and cabaret which we were allocated our own table for...... They also had hired in an AV company to hold Rockstar and Guitar Hero competitions which I failed miserably at..... Even allowed the 'Company Band' to get up and play a few tunes.... one of which was 'Ghostbusters' to everyones surprise.... and very funny it was too.... Next week we have more xmas parties and a Lesbian wedding.... or as I like to call it, the bands Christmas party!!!! :)

Played the Bridgehouse in Canning Town last night.

Hardest place to find ever, on an industrial estate and the road into it was closed.

Got there had some KFC did a sound check was all good, then Tyrannosaurus Alan got there and started playing right away, they played a really tight set (with our drummer), then we played I thought we did pretty well I swapped bass halfway through our set so I could try out the new SX which I must say sounded and felt better than my Fender :) then the last band played, they were tight but had the biggest egos I had ever seen so it really put me off, they finished there set their set with "Rock the casbah" and for some reason my band and T Alan had a huge "fight" on the dance floor which was fun :huh: after we was done we went to McDonalds with T Alan for more inmature silliness. On the way home just as we got to the M25/A2 junction we had a call from our manager to say he was stuck in Victoria so we had to go pick him up, got home at 3am got up for work at 7 but worth it great night.

Very good gig on Saturday. Owners/management/staff at the venue were unhelpful and unprofessional as always. PA almost crapped out at the beginning of the set. We stopped, dismantled it, put it back together and then played two excellent 80-minute sets.

At one point the singer called for a duel between me and the keyboard player. I thought I had my arse handed to me on a plate but I won the popular vote somehow. Some people, eh? Later the keyboard player and guitarist traded a few licks and then the drummer and I had a go too.

It was a lot of fun. There was great singing, cool songs, great interplay, some good dynamics in tunes for once, excellent audience participation, cool guest musicians. There was everything really.

[quote name='KevB' post='341811' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:36 PM']Since it actually was last night and the last gig of the band in its present form here's how it went...I won't embarass the venue but basically if you're not a tribute act of some kind there's no way you will get to play on Fri or Sat night. I've been to see a tribute on a Sunday and it was *very* quiet.
The sound guy decided he'd have an easy night and though he went to the trouble of mic'ing or DI'ing all instruments into the big in house PA then promptly told us that they had to keep it quiet on Sunday so he'd only be putting vox, a bit of drums and my midi pedals through it - 'I just mic stuff up to stop bands moaning that they are not mic'd up - it's not going through the PA'. I suggested we could turn down on stage volumes so we could then mix it all properly through the PA - no response.
So we trudged through a shortened set and got precisely £6 each from door takings at the end of the night - I'd spent more than that on food and drink since I'd arrived there![/quote]

Diamond at Sutton?
been there, sounds familliar

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='342269' date='Dec 1 2008, 07:16 PM']Played the Bridgehouse in Canning Town last night.

Hardest place to find ever, on an industrial estate and the road into it was closed.

Got there had some KFC did a sound check was all good, then Tyrannosaurus Alan got there and started playing right away, they played a really tight set (with our drummer), then we played I thought we did pretty well I swapped bass halfway through our set so I could try out the new SX which I must say sounded and felt better than my Fender :) then the last band played, they were tight but had the biggest egos I had ever seen so it really put me off, they finished there set their set with "Rock the casbah" and for some reason my band and T Alan had a huge "fight" on the dance floor which was fun :huh: after we was done we went to McDonalds with T Alan for more inmature silliness. On the way home just as we got to the M25/A2 junction we had a call from our manager to say he was stuck in Victoria so we had to go pick him up, got home at 3am got up for work at 7 but worth it great night.[/quote]
Hey Wayne, one weird location innit (the Bridge House II)? Thought a Ford Cortina was going to screech up and sling a body out next to us, like in a Guy Ritchie movie. Also loads of rats running around the yards. Its a nice venue though and the promoter for the monthly Daggers Punk evenings is a great guy (we had a spread of sausage rolls and sarnies made by his Mrs which was delicious).

We are playing there again in March (supporting 70s punk classics 999) and I'm really looking forward to it

First gig in a while in a *very* small pub called Bar Bliss in Kirkintilloch on the outskirts of Glasgow. Lucky if you can squeeze 40 people in, but always a good night. This one's always a bit of a canter to the end as they have a no music after 11pm policy - local residents association or somesuch I assume. Slight downside was having had a migraine earlier in the day, so I was doped up to eye balls. My resolve started to crumble by the middle of the second set and I made some of my best stupid mistakes ever (e.g., getting the E and A strings confused!!)

[quote name='Clarky' post='342435' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:56 PM']Hey Wayne, one weird location innit (the Bridge House II)? Thought a Ford Cortina was going to screech up and sling a body out next to us, like in a Guy Ritchie movie. Also loads of rats running around the yards. Its a nice venue though and the promoter for the monthly Daggers Punk evenings is a great guy (we had a spread of sausage rolls and sarnies made by his Mrs which was delicious).

We are playing there again in March (supporting 70s punk classics 999) and I'm really looking forward to it[/quote]

It does have the gangland feel about it, but yeah brilliant venue would like to play down there again.

Did you get told there was a bass cab then turn up to find it was a Peavey 1 x 15 combo?

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='342651' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:25 AM']It does have the gangland feel about it, but yeah brilliant venue would like to play down there again.

Did you get told there was a bass cab then turn up to find it was a Peavey 1 x 15 combo?[/quote]
I got lucky, full Ampeg kit there waiting incl 6x10 cab. Maybe it belonged to one of the other bands?

[quote name='OldGit' post='342676' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:45 AM']:) Yeah it sounds pretty good loud, doesn't it :huh:[/quote]

Sounded really good I also noticed the difference in wieght between it and my Fender

[quote name='Clarky' post='342679' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:45 AM']I got lucky, full Ampeg kit there waiting incl 6x10 cab. Maybe it belonged to one of the other bands?[/quote]

Must have been their house kit is a JCM900 with 4 X 12, ENGL guitar amp with 2 X 12, Peavey 1 X 15 combo, DW drum kit and some guitars and stuff out the back which I think is really decent.

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='342371' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:07 PM']Diamond at Sutton?
been there, sounds familliar[/quote]

Could be, Steve, could be! ... at least Gary was very apologetic about the whole thing and let us cut our second set short so we could all get off home!

The Fox goes free at Charlton.

A regular gig for us, and good fun. First gig with a new 8 ohm spkr in my old Peavey Databass, much better than the old one. How Peavey got away with putting a 350w spkr in a combo delivering the full 450w load I can only guess...

Nevertheless, a few folks came specifically to see us, so that was cool. Much humiliation of our [i]ultra [/i]organised gtrist, who discovered that he'd forgotten a strap and we rigged one out of a lead and some cable ties.

A rare Thursday night outing for the band.
Children's hospital ward staff Christmas do with staff of all types, nurses, docs, radiographers, admin people, etc
Keen crowd, great hall and stage, full band (both Daves for once - Dave I on guitar, Dave II on guitar/keys/mandolin)

Great fun. We wheeled out all the old Christmas songs and tunes ... many carols were based on dance tunes originally, apparently, so lots just fit the dance pattern of bars, and movements, and just slide in alongside the normal stuff. Dave II had learned Mike Oldfield's In Dulci Jubilo solo so that got an airing. I get to play recorder on that one for a few verses :)

The stage had a few blocks hanging around so we made up a drum riser and I put my little stack up there too so great audibility all night for me.

Very enjoyable though it feels odd today as it's not Saturday :~)

We played a pub called the Beehive in Chester. They seemed to like it loud so we obliged. had a great night and a few compliments and promise of a return gig. we had an odd character who plonked himself down on a chair a few feet from the band and stayed there all through the two sets, and the end of the night he got up and went. odd.

Now with some pics. there was more than two people, honest!

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]
[url="http://g.imageshack.us/img219/029zc5.jpg/1/"][/url]

[url="http://g.imageshack.us/img98/031kk5.jpg/1/"][/url]

[url="http://g.imageshack.us/img363/028nb0.jpg/1/"][/url]

[url="http://g.imageshack.us/img185/035jb9.jpg/1/"][/url]

Edited by beerdragon

Played a wedding tonight 5 minutes from my house so a nice short drive and an easy load in as well.

Sound was fantastic and we played a lot of new stuff as well.

I fitted a Bartolini 2 band EQ wiring harness to the gold bass this afternoon and it sounded fantastic. First active bass I've had in a long time. Very subtle changes but definitely a more powerful sound. i always felt that before it sounded clear but had no real defining quality about it but this just brings out the best of the bass.

Had a couple of very strong coffees and a couple of bits of wedding cake that were laden with alcohol at the break. Very nice.

Finished at one, were overpaid by £100 and now I'm sitting relaxing with a large dark rum

Tomorrow morning (or is that this morning?) I'm going to fire a set of power slinkies onto it.

Edited by Delberthot

An unexpectedly good gig last night. Played a jazz gig as a favour to a drummer friend of mine at the South African Commission in Trafalgar Square. I was fairly nervous in advance, being as it's such a huge departure from what I normally do. I was anticipating that it would be my first and last jazz gig. Didn't go too badly though, and if he asks me to do it again next year, I think I'll probably say yes.

As I was shifting my gear in, the resident technical guru scoffed at my Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180, saying "speaker that size won't fill this room". I contemplated turning the volume up just to show him quite how adequately it would, but the professional in me kept it at about 4 all evening. I played my Aria Sinsonido as I (and my drummer) like how its tone resembles an upright.

It was one of those nights where there's a lot of travelling, gear lugging and sitting around, and not enough time playing, but I didn't mind the sitting around because I hadn't met 3/5 of the band before in my life, so it was good fun getting to know them and laughing together as they spilled their dinner down their white shirts. I also found myself quite envious of how little gear saxophonists and trumpet players have to carry.

I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend - I haven't had much chance to sit down and unwind for the last fortnight.

S.P.

We (BigRoom) had a gig on Thursday night there at Brennan's in Perth.

We turned up for a soundcheck at 8pm & the only folk in the place was 2 sound engineers & a guitarist/singer & thought "oh dear".

9pm came and then quite a few folk turned up & the night opened with a female duo on guitar & djembe, these two was quite amazing & had a big sound for a 2 piece.
The following act was the singer/guitarist who was due to finish the evening but asked if we'd like to swap places.
We then went on & got an unexpectedly good response & really enjoyed every minute of it. For the closing number we decided to ask the djembe player if she'd like to join in as it's a straight forward rock song done on bass, acc guitar & mandolin. She done a better job of the percussion than what our drummer does in the rock band (Frigorifico).

If any of you would like to play at this venue (it's pretty much just started) then send me a pm with a link to some songs & I'll pop em forward to the promoter as she's looking for bands (preferably acoustic, but can take a smallish drum kit) to play in the coming year.

G

The Peel, Kingston, Friday 5th

Last gig of year and started inauspiciously - lead band (WitchDoktors) pulled out at 5pm due to drummer being taken to hospital, then our drummer got caught in M25 roadworks and I had to gently persuade him not to pull out. He eventually got to the venue at 8.20pm (we were originally due to soundcheck at 6pm) but fair play to him for spending all those hours on the road.

We went on first and played a full set (45 minutes) as there were only two bands (us and Lost Cherrees, re-formed 1980s punk band). Went really well apart from short break for our guitarist to change broken string. Great sound, nice sized stage and we played very tightly.

Nice to end the gigging year on a high

[quote name='Clarky' post='347079' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:09 AM']The Peel, Kingston, Friday 5th

Last gig of year and started inauspiciously - lead band (WitchDoktors) pulled out at 5pm due to drummer being taken to hospital, then our drummer got caught in M25 roadworks and I had to gently persuade him not to pull out. He eventually got to the venue at 8.20pm (we were originally due to soundcheck at 6pm) but fair play to him for spending all those hours on the road.

We went on first and played a full set (45 minutes) as there were only two bands (us and Lost Cherrees, re-formed 1980s punk band). Went really well apart from short break for our guitarist to change broken string. Great sound, nice sized stage and we played very tightly.

Nice to end the gigging year on a high[/quote]

Sorry couldn't make it buddy the missus has the 'flu' (my arse) but we will play together next year.

We always have a disaster happen when we play in Kingston.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='347086' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:13 AM']Sorry couldn't make it buddy the missus has the 'flu' (my arse) but we will play together next year.

We always have a disaster happen when we play in Kingston.[/quote]
No worries mate, definitely good to get something sorted for 2009

Played for Kraft foods at the national Motor Heritage thingy ma bob museum.
What a great place, and it was 20% french audience so our version of the Can Can with Land of Hope and Glory crow-barred into the middle went down a storm as did all our other comedy routines, they were a great crowd, and I particularly enjoyed playing behind the Charlston dancers it's always such a lovely perspective!

Edited by jakesbass

The New Inn, Littlehampton. Rough looking boozer, but salt of the earth really.

Pretty good fun overall. Our drummer knows everyone in Littlehampton, it seems, so all was nice and friendly.

Griping from mandolin player about '[i]can't get a sound, man[/i]', so I explained - with diagrams, anecdotes and hand gestures - (i) how important it is to know your kit inside out (ii) not to just expect it to sound great because you paid a lot of moolah for it, and (iii) that the 'great' sound you get at volume 1 in your living room is very different from what you need at volume 11, battle stations.

It took me about 3 mins to sort his whinging out and work up a sound he was more or less comfy with, and he harrumphed a grudging 'thanks'. So first set awful; second set, much better.

Warwick NT V Thumb through the PA was nice, and my new(ish) EBS octaver sounded superb with the help of the sub.

Oh, and Alan Minter was there, digging it. Maybe that's why it didn't kick off...

Edited by bassninja