Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Function gig for us last night, a fishing club's end of season annual bash.

Fully expected it to be a bit of a dire affair, as we had been told before hand, that there has never been any dancing to any of the bands booked in previous years.

Second number in and we had them up and bopping :)

Got paid a bonus and two more bookings. All in all a good night.

Paying for it today though, crashed out on the sofa and feeling extremely fuzzy.

Pretty good good despite what could've been an inauspicious start (band members getting stressed over PA probs and stage size, all understandable) but everyone pulled themselves together and we had probably our best gig! I had a slightly embarrassing moment when singing Road To Nowhere though. Because of the stage issues I could only see the words out of the corner of my eye and started to panic a bit which resulted in continually playing C instead of C#, oops! I did wonder why the keyboard player was prodding me in the back, I thought it was because I sang the same line twice :) Think we got stiffed on the money though, hmm :( Never mind, we did get paid and it was an absolute blast, great audience with some very nice feedback from another bass player for yours truly, always pleasant to hear, especially from a complete stranger.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1362314701' post='1998204']
Pretty good good despite what could've been an inauspicious start (band members getting stressed over PA probs and stage size, all understandable) but everyone pulled themselves together and we had probably our best gig! I had a slightly embarrassing moment when singing Road To Nowhere though. Because of the stage issues I could only see the words out of the corner of my eye and started to panic a bit which resulted in continually playing C instead of C#, oops! I did wonder why the keyboard player was prodding me in the back, I thought it was because I sang the same line twice :) Think we got stiffed on the money though, hmm :( Never mind, we did get paid and it was an absolute blast, great audience with some very nice feedback from another bass player for yours truly, always pleasant to hear, especially from a complete stranger.
[/quote]

Where were you playing last night?

The Crimea in Aldershot, one of our regular venues. Great Landlord, average crowd. New drummer has found his feet (and hands). New numbers all worked well. Roll on the next gig on the 22nd

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362314717' post='1998205']
You didn't have a... [i]drink, [/i]did you? *Gasp* :o
[/quote]

No drinkies Mark, just the M.E. giving me a severe bashing lately.
The gigging is a great morale booster but I really pay for it, usually two or three days of being flat out and quite often a migraine thrown in on top of the mix. :(

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1362318719' post='1998280']
No drinkies Mark, just the M.E. giving me a severe bashing lately.
The gigging is a great morale booster but I really pay for it, usually two or three days of being flat out and quite often a migraine thrown in on top of the mix. :(
[/quote]

Ooh, I'm very sorry to hear it, mate. :( A morale booster that hurts... may you recover quickly.

First time for me at the other of the two monthly 'residencies' the band I've hooked up with play. This is the H2O bar in Hucknall, Notts. Very modern one room sports bar, big TV's everywhere showing football etc. Painfully loud in house music system. Had to laugh when we were asked to turn down for the second set (which we did) then they put the in house music on again until closing time which was far louder than we'd been even in the first set. Tiny stage area to set up again. I was considering suggesting me bringing the midi pedals to fill out the sound but on the evidence of the 3 gigs I've done so far I doubt they play stages big enough to sensibly accomodate them. Oh well, their loss. Also due to the frontman wanting to hog centre stage I was continually being shoved closer and closer to one of the PA speakers until I was hitting the headstock againt it while also being blinded by an upfacing LED. Got so distracted with it I muffed the solo to My Generation.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1362312878' post='1998167']
The Owl - Rodley (outskirts of Leeds)

£3.10 a pint - thieving ***** - so it was sh*t for that reason and I'll never go back.
[/quote]

That would be the cheapest pint in town around here!

Played two slots at a fund raising event yesterday.

The first was with the ex-singer of one of my bands. She hadn't given much indication of what we might be playing & managed to include no fewer than 4 songs that I had no idea might be coming up & had never played before. I know some people can cope with that sort of thing, but I like to at least have had a run through first!

Second slot was with an originals band that I auditioned for on Tuesday. So 10 songs (9 originals & one cover I'd never heard of before Tuesday) to get through. Six of them were at least on the internet in some form or other, so I was OK with the latter half of the set and had a thoroughly good time by the end of it.

All in all, it was a really enjoyable day, with some great musicians playing throughout the event. Exhausted today though!

Played a local WMC last night, decent crowd, loads of room on stage and the nicest landlord in the world (quite possibly) and with free sandwiches at the end of the night this has to go in the good gig guide surely?

Only played one bum note during the set, but one to many me thinks

Ex- Working Men's Club - though it's been a while since any of the bone idle bastards I spoke to actually worked !

Beer was dreadful too - 'Smooth'. Not even beer as I know it.

Absolute shithole full of scumbags , won't be going back.

On;y 2 things have cheered me about it - 1st , I'm buying a Vox Valvtronix guitar amp with the doh ray me I earned and 2nd , the looks on their faces when I introduced the band - Rod as an undercover drugs squad officer , Mart as a CSA assessor and myself as a benefit fraud investigator. Deep joy !

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1362312878' post='1998167']
The Owl - Rodley (outskirts of Leeds)

£3.10 a pint - thieving ***** - so it was sh*t for that reason and I'll never go back.
[/quote]

You Northerners don't know how good you've got it...
:(

Edited by Dave Vader

Not last night but last Saturday night 23rd Feb.....we played at Towers Art Gallery in Brussels.
Gig was good, sold out which is always good.
We played a 2hr 20minute set!!!!
I had a little accident with my spaghetti turning down the output volume on my compressor which has prompted me to build a proper pedal board rather than rely on loose pedals in spaghetti.
Apart from that, and the odd mistake, a good time was had by all.
Here's a couple of vids:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6OJxHVRqVA[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhGdusdBkj0[/media]

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1362415771' post='1999321']
You Northerners don't know how good you've got it...
:(
[/quote]

Yes we do - that's exactly the point.

We know how expensive beer is further south and we also know how good a product southern beer is.

What anyone actually pays for a pint is relative to the area. I'm well aware some of you poor sods pay £3.50 or more a pint regularly but what if you were asked to pay a fiver? Same here - we can get a really good real ale in any town for £2.60 - maybe a little less. So being asked to pay £3.10 BY YOUR EMPLOYERS is a piss take.

A fish fork up the starfish to the lot of them.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1362416021' post='1999328']
Poet and Castle in Codnor Derbyshire, I've just fixed the smoke machine so the Drummer decided to give it a good testing, how we didn't set the smoke alarms off I'll never know.
[/quote]
Never played there but a spin off duo from one of my past bands played it a few years back so I went to watch. If they had you setting up down the end in front of the fireplace bit I'm amazed you actually fitted in, I recall it was a tiny playing area!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1362432872' post='1999814']
Never played there but a spin off duo from one of my past bands played it a few years back so I went to watch. If they had you setting up down the end in front of the fireplace bit I'm amazed you actually fitted in, I recall it was a tiny playing area!
[/quote]
yeah it is a tight squeeze, without much ventillation either :lol:

Saturday night I played at the Corn Exchange in Faringdon in a 4-piece country outfit. The singer was suffering from some kind of stomach upset, and when we went on stage for the 3rd set, she hadn't made it back. I was doing about 1/3 of the lead vocals, so we pulled a couple of my numbers forward, then I had to whip out a couple of standards that the other 2 guys would know... then she came back and we finished the evening. Phew!

Afterwards a lady of a certain age put her arm round my waist for entirely too long, then a cowboy fella did the same, and 'accidentally' brushed my butt with his hand. I blame Brokeback Mountain...

[i]Two fabulous warm up slots at Tamworth Assembly Rooms, Fri and Sat, great crowd to full houses, and taken for a slap up meal by Mr Vasey,,great weekend. wish id booked the Travelodge for the right dates tho,,,,,, doh. :blink: suppose if your gonna work for a comedian etc.. :D [/i]