Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played a wedding in a country hotel near Hatfield Heath. I fell in love with the village as we drove through it, HUGE village green!

The gig was great for the singers, although not so good for me. I forgot my earplugs and didn't have spares, my multi voltage adaptor stopped functioning and I had to use the 9v adaptor for the mixer then my Deep Impact pedal froze completely. :) I forgot my bass stands and so only used the Smith last night, and I REALLY missed not using the Cutlass II for the Chic tracks.

The families were Essex based italian and a bit of hard work to begin with, noone was dancing up by the stage. It was the kids up front (and there were a LOT of kids there) and the adults were by the bar sort of bopping around. However as we went into the third set, they loosened up a bit when the bride started to really go for it on the dance floor. :huh:

We vamped for about 5 mins on the verse for We Are Family which was great fun as we finally got an opportunity to jam on a song for the first time live. (Something I've wanted to do ever since seeing Prince do it live last year at the 02 Dome). This was while the guests formed a leaving arch for the bride and groom. Plus we tucked into the most amazing cold meats and antipasto buffet after the gig.

Mrs OldGit's' 50th birthday party .. a year in the planning so only a fair amount of panic during the last week as I was ill on Thursday ...
(I was wondering why I was getting more odd looks than normal last night .. found out after a while that I'd blown blood vessles in both eyes and looked rather sinister ...)

The acoustic barn dance band I dep with (as seen on Gavin and Stacey!) was the main band for the night with my band doing two dances after the break, and myself and my wife doing a solo spot for one number only in the middle.

A gear share nightmare but excellent dancing and fun. So nice to get to dance with my wife rather than play whilst everyone else dances ...

The other band's bass player liked my Shuker P5 and, amazingly, a non musician neighbour stopped me to day in the park to say how nice it looked and sounded ... That's a first from a civilian :)

But the star of the show, other than my wife of course, was the Stagg electric upright.

Mrs OldGit and I played Take 5 on upright and flute and it went down a storm with loads of civilians saying how nice the sound of the bass was and how sexy it looks (women, mostly) . .. I think it's a keeper :huh:

Masonic at the Holiday Inn in Brighton last night.
Been feeling a little inspired all week by a Who documentry I saw several days ago, so most songs ended up with Entwistleish overtones.
I'm in the same frame of mind so tonights gig will be pretty similar I think.

Played in a pub that has decided to have live music but was in no way sound friendly, set up between two pillars with another one about eight feet away and a bit of a wall beyond that then a narrow alleyway to the bar.did'nt seem to be many people there but the woman in charge came up to us after the first set and offered us more gigs. after we had finished people seem to come out of the woodwork and said what a great band we were. the sound was just a mess from where i was, but it made my night if they enjoyed it.

Sunday 'Jam night' at the Back bar in Weston super Mare......aaaargh it was loud! Succession of loud and jangly newbs bless em and one young drummer who was quite impressive. I tried the Adam Nitti piece Yin & Yang and it sounded ok (didnt fall on my arse like I thought I would). All in all an ok evening.Scallys jam night on thurs gotta get some earplugs!

Friday night was a friend's 50th. She's the other half of John, the ex-organiser of the open mic nights at the Roadhouse, so the future Mrs Zero and I did some acoustic duo numbers, and I played bass for John for a few numbers. The main band were the Roger Hill band, a rock'n'rolling trio. I was going to DI my bass into the PA and their bassist, completely unprompted, asked if I'd like to use his rig. EBS head and EBS 4x10 - I wasn't going to turn that down (in fact, I turned it up). A good night, and the future Mrs Zero was driving (but I didn't drink to excess, honest).

Saturday night was a covers band gig - first for six or seven weeks, and went well. Singer didn't make too many cockups and almost every song was as per arrangement. Blimey. And I tried flattening the tone controls on the GK and rather liked the resultant sound.

Friday was a usual pub gig in Saltaire. The pub was only half full but those there were rock fans so we did alright. There was singing along and a bit of dancing.
Sunday was one of our favourite venues, a biker pub in Huddersfield. Despite a poor start time (3pm on a Sunday) the pub was more than half full. Also I was very happy with the band at both gigs as we seem to have married the performance and playing aspects well. In the past we'd either play well, or perform well but rarely both. Now it seems to be there at all our gigs, even if the audience is not into what we're playing.

Saturday gig - town twinning ceremony. Exceptionally weird. Incredibly embarrassingly playing from discreetly placed music as 10 new songs with 1 rehearsal. Windy. Marquee. Forgot pegs. Played most of gig staring over singer's head. 10 minute set up, 5 minute set down.

Preceded by morris dancers.

Strangest most frantic 'gig' I've ever done.

Reunion gig for band that played together 2000-2002.

Not played together since 2002 apart from a single gig 20-months ago.

Local pub. Great crowd. Pub manager said usually the space in front of the band is empty and the rest of the bar is full. For us it was the other way round. Much singing and dancing.

No prior rehearsal.

Played 3-hours without a break. 8;30pm til 11:30pm

Only had an outline set list and we didn't keep to that. Mix of originals, covers and bar anthems.

Just goes to show adrenaline works.

No egos, no pretentions. None of us have lost it so it looks like we'll be doing some more very soon.

That sounds brilliant Dave.

We had a great night in Kendal - played at Bootleggers, a really good venue with it's own PA & lights. We weren't looking forward to the 10.30 start but the place was absolutely heavin'. Solid first half with an appreciative audience then the Landlady came to us in the break and said she was sorry cos they were a 'funny crowd' (seemed ok to us) and asked if we could get back on soon because the pub was likely to empty. It didn't - it got fuller and there was a real party atmosphere for the second half. Everybody dancin', which is how we like it.

Landlady was happy and gave us a £40 bonus - home by 2.30am - nice one.

'Country & western' dep gig.

My precision died on me at soundcheck, so felt a bit of a tit having to use Thumb V all night as backup. Some looks from audience of the 'he's not going to burst into [i]jazz[/i] all of a sudden is he?' type. These folks can be pretty conservative...

Went OK, all below the 5th fret and good discipline. :)

Not a bad night. Friendly crowd and an evening of spot the muso from the stage :huh: Still we gave them something to guffaw about when the guitarists and I played three different endings to the first song of the second set - all wrong ;)

Keyboard player hasn't made a gig since the new year and we are all wondering whether he just can't bring himself to say he can't manage it anymore. There will come a time when the set will have changed so much and become that much more guitar orientated that it may be difficult, which will be a shame.

A gig with twin guitars & finishing with Don't Believe A Word & Boys Are Back In Town - gotta love a bit of Lizzy :)

Some nice comments re the bass sound, which I had the chance to tweak with the sound guy at a tech r/h a few weeks back. Still loving the G&L sound. It's just so good for this stuff (I know, I am repeating myself on that front, but it is!!). Second guitarist asked if I had stopped using the Wal and I felt extremely guilty over the abandonment of my first love.

just got in from a gig at a hotel just outside Haslemere. Crowd appeared to be mostly irish and many styles of dancing were observed. Some were even recognisable. Then as we went back to our dressing room to cool off and stock up on fluids the crowd decided they'd have a go at providing their own entertainment and before we knew it they'd started up on our singers mics themselves and borrowed some of our percussionists tambourines. Our percussionist confiscated them all in case they got broken and then distracted them by singing a sad jewish song in hebrew just to chill them out.

Sound man wasn't in a good mood because a group of girls had been individually bugging him all night to let them sing a jazz song and while we were offstage, they were using our PA without asking first. We didn't know the song ourselves then it turns out neither did the girls! We let them have about 8 or 10 drunken Irish classics while we packed up around them and then the sound man switched off the PA so we could case it and load it up. After belting out "Rose of Tralee" unamplified, the crowd started to disperse and we could get on with the load up.

I took the V8 and EBS 212Neo along with the Smith and Cutlass II. Percussionist loves me bringing the EBS cab so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works with one of the Genz Benz Shuttle heads at some point.

Friday night was good, our usual stint at the Crow's nest in East Grinstead but there were lots of "muso" types in the audience looking thoroughly displeased with us by the end which i thought was amusing - probably becasue i dind't play the proper bassline to Freebird....

Last night was amazing. The hotel is a horrible set up with the bar almost in a different timezone from the reception room; last time we played there the first set was dead as everyone was still trying to get drunk. Last night, however, the dancefloor was packed from the first song in the first set to the last note of the 2nd encore. Everyone loved it, we were on damn fine form (even if I do say so myself) and my Retroactive sounded [i]gorgeous[/i] through my 2x15 V-Type rig :huh:

Roll on Tuesday night and the mighty Lep now :)

Played a gig over a week ago at Whitby Goth Weekend Festival at the Spa Pavilion, About 700 people.

Gig went pretty well with no mishaps, Lots of positive reaction though my right hand fingers cramped up throughout the gig, Maybe i should learn to use a pick at somepoint just in case it happens again!

Roll on Thursday, I am off to Germany to play Wave Goffick treffen, Leipzig, huge goth festival! Will be playing my Mock :)

Edited by Shockwave

Saturday gig – big bike rally near the east coast with loads of people there, middle spot with 2 other great bands on the bill

Not the best we’ve ever played but stormed it nether the less (the double bass player of the excellent headlining rockabilly band was kind enough to say that we “just edged it 2-1” – not so sure myself but we certainly had a good night)!

Hung out with some old friends who we don’t get to see that often, including a couple of guys in the other bands whose paths have crossed with ours on the circuit in the past – all in all a great weekend, the reason we still do it.…

Just did my first gig with my new 7-piece funk band Groove Digger on Saturday - a private party for a triple 40th birthday - good crowd and funny 'Phoenix-nights' type stage but it was a cracking gig all told. It's the first time I've done a band with really tight horn parts and good arrangements - it makes such a difference and I was a very happy bunny as I had both my Sei bass and full Epifani + EBS rig and it sounded awesome.

Even though we are playing James Brown and Maceo Parker stuff the horn all the guys are full on jazzers so we can stretch out on some of the instrumentals - we have a very good singer too - and so some of the solo sections really went off - me and this fantastic Hungarian drummer Gabor Dornyei (check him out here [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpIpAiWuBk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpIpAiWuBk[/url] ) had a lot of fun just grooving our asses off and then really let rip on the very last tune - Stevie's 'I Wish' - with a bass and drum exchange that went down a treat with the crowd.

All in all a great night and a great first gig with this band - for your listening pleasure:

[url="http://www.groovedigger.co.uk/"]http://www.groovedigger.co.uk/[/url]

Mike