Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Last night was rotten!

[b]Saturday[/b] - my covers band gig was very good (i play guitar), busy pub, we sounded good (despite the absence of our other guitarist) but the crowd was up for it, etc. Lows - the brother and his girlfriend and another friend being denied entry because they were wearing trainers.
[b]Sunday[/b] - 27brigade gig - back on bass. Outdoor gig at a pub in Loughborough. The pub was rammed, the event sold out and people were being turned away. The best live sound I've heard in ages - absolutely crystal clear FOH and the monitoring was fantastic. Had a trace something or other and a new ampeg 410 to play through. Best we've played in ages as well
[b]Last night[/b] - opened for a touring band and played to 6 (including the band to follow us and the soundman). Worst soundman ever - have had experience of him at another venue in town and he put me off ever looking for gigs at the venue again. I won't be looking for anymore gigs at this place either. Disocovered: Don't want a Behringer amp - ever; I now want a 4003 - oh and the headline played to 8 including the bloke running the door, the soundman, their tour manager and me

Edited by john_the_bass

Great gig tonight at The Elms in Worthing! Pretty much packed and although we were ropey as anything having not played for 3 weeks, the crowd really seemed to enjoy it. Lots & lots of dancing girls which always helps..

A big thanks to Clauster & Mrs Clauster who came all the way from near Tunbridge Wells via Eastbourne to see the gig!! Good to see you guys again!

Dropped two new tunes into the set; Springsteen's "Fire" and Prince's "Rasberry Beret" and both went down well.. Had a few teething problems getting used to the SWR Triad but I'll get there! It's a very different sound to my Peavey 410 TVX, that's for sure.

All in all, a good night :)

Ball gig at a country house hotel in Co. Durham.

We were booked to play during the meal and before the DJ, just dinner jazz. Thought it would be about an hour, but after two and a half of medium-swing walking and light bossa/samba my fretting arm nearly fell off. Stupidly long set.

Got paid, though, so all's well.

Good morning fellow Basschatter's

We had another cracker at the Deer House in Rudding Park caravan park near Harrogate with all four of our news songs going down really well.

We even had people telling us they are booking specific weekends at the park so they can come and see us which is very nice to hear.

What a lovely feeling it is waking up the morning after a great gig !!

Tony

This was the view from our dressing room looking east on the 37th floor yesterday afternoon. :) I swear this is the most dramatic sky I've ever seen over London, made me think of a Constable painting.

The load in was truly horrendous. The entire PA, all the amps, drum kit, percussion and lighting had to be loaded into the goods lift from the loading bay, taken up to the 34th floor then shifted through half the kitchen area to another lift that went from 34 to 39. THEN we had to lug everything up 1 flight of granite steps to the 40th floor before we could actually set up. The acoustics were terrible as you might imagine with glass dome, but at least there weren't any standing waves where we were. (Although frequencies from all parts of the space did get reflected into the centre of the space very effectively. Made me wonder if the dome was nearly parabolic in shape). Having said that, we did actually hear ourselves a lot better than some of the conservatories we've played in.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='196423' date='May 11 2008, 11:15 AM']

This was the view from our dressing room looking east on the 37th floor yesterday afternoon. :) I swear this is the most dramatic sky I've ever seen over London, made me think of a Constable painting.

The load in was truly horrendous. The entire PA, all the amps, drum kit, percussion and lighting had to be loaded into the goods lift from the loading bay, taken up to the 34th floor then shifted through half the kitchen area to another lift that went from 34 to 39. THEN we had to lug everything up 1 flight of granite steps to the 40th floor before we could actually set up. The acoustics were terrible as you might imagine with glass dome, but at least there weren't any standing waves where we were. (Although frequencies from all parts of the space did get reflected into the centre of the space very effectively. Made me wonder if the dome was nearly parabolic in shape). Having said that, we did actually hear ourselves a lot better than some of the conservatories we've played in.[/quote]
What an amazing gig to do CK - talk about having to 'get up' to 'get down'!! :huh:

What kind of audience was it?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='196457' date='May 11 2008, 12:07 PM']What kind of audience was it?[/quote]
Wedding party of a surprisingly diverse range of ages. We had a request to play River Deep again from the grandfather of the bride so we obliged. The best man told a story that the groom was a huge Michael Jackson fan had actually ran through Madison Square Garden on their stag night dressed up like Michael Jackson complete with rubber face mask! :)

The more that the bride and groom got into it, the more everyone else did as well. Thats happened at quite a few gigs so we might note that for situations in the future where the punters are a little reluctant to get on the dancefloor.

Apparently we're only the second band to ever play here.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='196500' date='May 11 2008, 01:26 PM']We opened for The Animals ... sell out show , excellent atmosphere , great grub backstage , best of all .... didnt need to take my rig, as there bassist let me use his Ampeg 8x10 rig ... happy days :)[/quote]

Who was fronting the animals. i'm guessing it's not Mr burden.

Here's a wee vid of the venue while we were setting up.

I've got one of us sound checking where the acoustic issues are easy to hear so I might splice that vid into this post later when its finished uploading.

EDIT: Intro to Ain't Nobody

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='196481' date='May 11 2008, 12:41 PM']

Wedding party of a surprisingly diverse range of ages. We had a request to play River Deep again from the grandfather of the bride so we obliged. The best man told a story that the groom was a huge Michael Jackson fan had actually ran through Madison Square Garden on their stag night dressed up like Michael Jackson complete with rubber face mask! :huh:

The more that the bride and groom got into it, the more everyone else did as well. Thats happened at quite a few gigs so we might note that for situations in the future where the punters are a little reluctant to get on the dancefloor.

Apparently we're only the second band to ever play here.[/quote]

Dear Sir Norman,
Please have a band on your design consultancy panel for buildings that will be used for gigs.
Thanks
CK
PS gissa job :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='196561' date='May 11 2008, 03:51 PM']Dear Sir Norman,
Please have a band on your design consultancy panel for buildings that will be used for gigs.
Thanks
CK[/quote]

LOL, yeah. I didn't even mention the lack of power sockets. For where we were, there was only one pair of sockets in the floor and another pair under the raised shelf that ran around the periphery of the floor area. Certainly wasn't a building designed for big functions.

Actually, Sir Norm's practice has its critics. I don't think I'd be happy working there. Speaking of which, I have a new job any way. Woooo! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='196761' date='May 11 2008, 10:20 PM']LOL, yeah. I didn't even mention the lack of power sockets. For where we were, there was only one pair of sockets in the floor and another pair under the raised shelf that ran around the periphery of the floor area. Certainly wasn't a building designed for big functions.

Actually, Sir Norm's practice has its critics. I don't think I'd be happy working there. Speaking of which, I have a new job any way. Woooo! :)[/quote]

Woooo indeed!

It is in a Local Shop, perchance?

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='196787' date='May 11 2008, 10:57 PM']It is in a Local Shop, perchance?[/quote]
Oh yes, and so many precious things! There's lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots!!!

Had a one in cuffley last night.
Not gigged for three weeks so it was nice to get back to a nice easy one.
It was in a Hotel and the get in was fine. We had a nice bar meal but 10 mins before we went on though so didnt have a lot of energy for the first set.
The acoustics were great. Smallish sized room but had the LMII on 3 on the master and it filled the room.
Really getting in to my Duck Dunn P now. With the Opto-stomp its sounding more like a classic P now and seems to fit in to almost all the songs we do.
Even a bit of slap
Because of the bar being in another room and the room itself looking out on to some very nice grounds we found ourselves playing to two people at one point. But everyone was in good spirits. We even managed to incorporate Whole lotta love in to the middle of Tequila.

Got loads of gigs coming up now and looking forward to them (and the money of course).

40th Birthday party last night.Big hotel,suprise gig for birthday boy who clearly wanted to be at home with a pizza and a dvd.
Played 3/4 of our 2 set show and was asked to stop due to lack of audience interest.Most of them had left by 10:30 pm because they had young kids.
We played well,tried out our new lighting rig,got fed and still recieved our pay at the end.
We were the wrong band for the wrong party in the wrong venue.

Friday night we had a function but when we arrived at 7.00 we were unable to set up as the area we were playing in was full of prizes for the presentations etc that were following the meal so it was 10.30 before we played a note ( after a very hasty set up from 10.00 )

However, 4 bars in to Valerie and the dance floor was full of ladies from the Yorkshire Hockey Association who danced for an hour and a half solid so it turned out excellent.

Saturday night was the first gig with my other band and we had taken the gig to help the football club who let us use the club for rehearsal free of charge at their end of season presentation night ( bit of a theme developing )

We are still a month away from being fully ready but with a very enthusiastic audience following a game during the afternoon that secured promotion we had a cracking night. High point had to be Dakota with most of the male audience up dancing topless swinging their shirts around ( some sort of tradition !! ) shame that their partners were more reserved in the clothes shredding department but life's not perfect !! ( NOTE...must play Dakota at next year's Yorkshire Hockey presentation night.....worth a try !! )

Just sat chilling now before loading up again later on as we are out for an early evening pub gig in Huddersfield.

Playing music live....................don't you just love it !!!!!!