Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

not fab tbh.

our first gig out of london - played a club upstairs from a pub in the queens hall in nuneaton

played to about 15 people, although the two drunk women who were reeling around the room danced a bit.

just 'one of those'...you gotta play the sh*te ones or there'd be no good ones...

Drove the 240 miles to Linton-on-Ouse RAF base in Yorkshire, to play for them as part of their 90th anniversary celebrations (a ladies night) being intelligent types they got our toungue in cheek, witty humour and loved us, so a good night was had by all (after the 4hr drive back I still managed to join head with pillow by 2:30am
As a big plus point I met a fellow BCer on the way Peteb, who seems like a nice chap, he bought my SWR Goliath II, he's using it tonight. Hope it goes well Pete :)
Jake

[quote name='jakesbass' post='170185' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:52 AM']Drove the 240 miles to Linton-on-Ouse RAF base in Yorkshire, to play for them as part of their 90th anniversary celebrations (a ladies night) being intelligent types they got our toungue in cheek, witty humour and loved us, so a good night was had by all (after the 4hr drive back I still managed to join head with pillow by 2:30am
As a big plus point I met a fellow BCer on the way Peteb, who seems like a nice chap, he bought my SWR Goliath II, he's using it tonight. Hope it goes well Pete :)
Jake[/quote]

we do miitary bases they are really cool gigs i think!

www.bsharpduo.co.uk

[quote name='greyparrot' post='170200' date='Apr 5 2008, 12:14 PM']we do miitary bases they are really cool gigs i think!

www.bsharpduo.co.uk[/quote]
I agree, I've done loads, and they have always been, friendly, well organised, good audiences, offering hot food, somewhere to change etc etc.
Bit shocking once doing Yeovilton, the communications went quiet prior to the gig, then when they eventually got in touch they explained that the original organiser had been killed in Iraq.
The party went ahead and I learned that those people have to take that in their stride. I can't tell you how much that makes me hold them in the highest esteem.

• Like 1

The previous post kind of puts things in perspective...

The mighty 'Take Cover' had a great gig last night - a 21st birthday party in a local pub lounge. About 100 people there, who
were well up for a dance and a good time. I feel like we're starting to get the hang of putting a good set list together
(by that I mean in the right order) and keeping the gaps between songs as short as possible.

I was also pleased with my sound AND I managed not to spill any beer on my gear this time!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='170211' date='Apr 5 2008, 12:32 PM']I agree, I've done loads, and they have always been, friendly, well organised, good audiences, offering hot food, somewhere to change etc etc.
Bit shocking once doing Yeovilton, the communications went quiet prior to the gig, then when they eventually got in touch they explained that the original organiser had been killed in Iraq.
The party went ahead and I learned that those people have to take that in their stride. I can't tell you how much that makes me hold them in the highest esteem.[/quote]

Yeah i know, when we play em, you just want to do your best and then sum. (as always) cos if anyone needs to let off steam, they do.

Last night had its moments. First night back after nearly a month off & concentrating on new stuff at rehearsals.

Keyboard player cried off in the morning with the lurgy, not a major problem as we have played as a 3 piece + vocalist for years, but it does open up the sound a lot.

Concentrating on new stuff did lead to a few fairly major clangers for each of us, but I think we managed to bluff through most of them. Not sure who ended up with the orange sticker last night. We all deserved it :)

Funny gig as it never really fills until 9:30 so 9:00 we started off to pretty much WAGs. Filled up well as the evening progressed, which was nice

The G&L sounded brilliant, particularly having had the chance to work on the bass with the sound guy at the tech rehearsal last week. The L2500 is IMO just a superb instrument in a rock setting. Bit of Stingray top & bite along with a really solid bottom end that sits beautifully in the mix

[quote name='WalMan' post='170453' date='Apr 5 2008, 09:16 PM']Last night had its moments. First night back after nearly a month off & concentrating on new stuff at rehearsals.

Keyboard player cried off in the morning with the lurgy, not a major problem as we have played as a 3 piece + vocalist for years, but it does open up the sound a lot.

Concentrating on new stuff did lead to a few fairly major clangers for each of us, but I think we managed to bluff through most of them. Not sure who ended up with the orange sticker last night. We all deserved it :huh:

Funny gig as it never really fills until 9:30 so 9:00 we started off to pretty much WAGs. Filled up well as the evening progressed, which was nice

The G&L sounded brilliant, particularly having had the chance to work on the bass with the sound guy at the tech rehearsal last week. The L2500 is IMO just a superb instrument in a rock setting. Bit of Stingray top & bite along with a really solid bottom end that sits beautifully in the mix[/quote]

Sounds good Al - glad the G&L was on form!! I agree with you having heard it a few weeks back.. It really does sound the part in your band!

Not long back myself from The Crow's Nest in East Grinstead.. Our first gig for over 2 months and it really showed as it was a very sloppy and wooden performance from us! The venue took ages to fill up but eventually, we got the crowd up on their feet for the end of the 2nd set so that was a bit of a result!

I had a number of off-putting technical problems throughout and I found it really threw me during the gig.. Amazing what happens when you lose that sense of 'routine' that only comes with regular gigging - it prepares you for coping with anything..

Great to see Merton show up with his guitarist from his band - thanks for making the effort guys! They stayed for one set but on our form last night, that was more than enough.. :)

Some of my gigs aren't worth adding to this thread but last night was odd enough...

Turned up (in the snow) at The Masons Arms, Amble and straight off the guitarist is on a downer as he had his dog put down that day. Next, the singer has a VW and he duly locked his keys in his car (auto locks after x minutes), luckily all the gear was out but unfortunately his spares are 45 miles away with no-one able to access them! 9.15 start duly came around and we stepped up to the mics to perform in front of 4 peshed women... I counted them twice in case I'd missed one :)

Straight away the 4 of them were up dancing to the first number (Oasis - R&R star) before we'd finished the 2nd number, the room had 60 people in half of which were up dancing and they stayed up for the next 35 minutes (the first set isn't even a dance set, we keep those numbers for the 2nd set)! End of a great first set and we confidently said, "We'll see you in 15 minutes". Like sh*te, the place emptied and we started the 2nd set to the same 4 p*ss heads that started the night. A few people drifted in and out but the crowd it appeared has a herd mentality and they had followed the age old pattern of moving on to the town's only other watering hole!

Absurdly, as we finished the 2nd set and had just decided it would be embarrassing to do encores for 4 sloshed birds who could hardly talk; the pub started to fill up again. So we went back on and did a number and before we'd finished it the pub had 60+ punters in! So we did a couple of strong numbers from the 2nd set (they hadn't heard them) and as we thanked them and powered down, we suddenly had gangs of peshed punters shouting torrents of abuse for not doing more songs!

It wasn't a bad night but you live and learn.

We played at a Marriot hotel/manor just off the A10 in Herts last night for a wedding. Very young crowd - mostly in their 20s and early 30's, also very hard work to begin with. They stood around for the first set and watched us while chatting but towards the end of the first set they started to bop about a bit. Second set was a lot better, we played 'Ain't Nobody' and a couple of the ushers had a 80's breakdancing dance off! :)

Third set was pretty good and more what we're used to, lots of drunken people jumping about and having a good time. Great that the girls brought the party to them by taking control of things rather than losing confidence. They did a really good job of turning that one around.

The room where we played was in a conservatory, The Summer House, great for low volume acoustic instruments like a string quartet but for us it was a nightmare. We had to keep our volume low at the start so we could all hear ourselves but the more people that came in, the more dampening we had! So we could turn up a little louder. Volume definitely stopped people talking to one another and got them dancing instead.

One usher is going to be in the dog box tonight though. He was so pissed that he couldn't take his eyes off the singers, his gf/wife noticed and started giving him the evils. He was still standing there slack jawed and gawping and after some determined arm tugging and nudging, his other half gave him a right bollocking there on the spot and hauled him off! :huh:

Last night we were at The Centenary Centre on the Ise of Man. We got the 6am train from Newcastle and then flew from Manchester.

The Island is GREAT! I love it. Beautiful.

The gig was fab.. it's a 200 seater and the staff treat us really well. However, the hired-in bass rig (very old SVT 3 and an Ampeg 210) was a bit decrepid and the bass-drum pedal collapsed right at the end of the second set. we got by, though.

We went to the pub for a bit of a shindig with the locals afterwards. mint.

It's not all great, though. I've been sitting in the IoM airport since 10am waiting for our plane to be defrosted. It's going to be a loooong day..

Jazzy three piece gig in a restaurant: one of those underground venues in an old cellar, like playing in a tunnel. Quite sedate, 50th birthday party. All a bit 'nice'.

Sound terrible, just above acoustic volume. Rolled of loads of bass and everything I touched still went 'BOOOOOOOOM!!!!' I expect we would still be able to hear the last number if we went back now...

Ironic though, the owner loved it and wants us for other functions throughout the year. [i]What are the chances[/i]...?!.?!. :)

Edited by bassninja

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='170648' date='Apr 6 2008, 12:28 PM']Last night we were at The Centenary Centre on the Ise of Man. We got the 6am train from Newcastle and then flew from Manchester.

The Island is GREAT! I love it. Beautiful.

The gig was fab.. it's a 200 seater and the staff treat us really well. However, the hired-in bass rig (very old SVT 3 and an Ampeg 210) was a bit decrepid and the bass-drum pedal collapsed right at the end of the second set. we got by, though.

We went to the pub for a bit of a shindig with the locals afterwards. mint.

It's not all great, though. I've been sitting in the IoM airport since 10am waiting for our plane to be defrosted. It's going to be a loooong day..[/quote]
Good story! Isn't amazing how diverse the work is everyone does on here..

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='171020' date='Apr 6 2008, 10:15 PM']Ahhh... just had a vuppa tea and a few minutes to put some photos from the soundcheck etc. up...

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/iom08/"]More here...[/url][/quote]
That's very nice.. The bass, the rig, the venue and the scenery!

We did another gig today at the 6 Bells in Chiddingly.. We were much better than last night, shook the cobwebs off, played for 2 and a half hours, did 3 encores and had a great time with the crowd who were celebrating someone's 30th.. Everyone was dressed in 70's wigs and wellies! Gig started at 5pm and I was home by 9.30pm.. Most enjoyable day, what with the snowfall and everything..

What made it even better was that Clauster (Nick) and Mrs Clauster (Anna) came along and it was great to meet them - always nice to see a fellow Basschatter at a gig! We had a good chat afterwards and I'm looking forward to returning the favour and going to see one of Clauster's gigs at some point too... I think Nick took a photo of me in one of the 70s wigs during the last encore..so I'm not looking forward to seeing that, though Mrs Silverfoxnik is :)

They're like buses. Nothing for ages, and then two come along at once.

Friday night, the first proper gig for the pop covers band. Country pub in the middle of nowhere, small but V. enthusiastic and appreciative crowd. Band played well, I nailed everything including 'Twister' (that Cass is some bass player) and everyone including landlord was very happy. Next stop The Railway, about which I have very mixed feelings but we don't really have any alternatives - if you want to go to heaven, you've got to learn how to blow silent farts in church.

Last night, depping for Bilbo in the Mar Azul while he was off having his wicked way with some jazz standards. Bloody hell! I've never played any Brazilian music and I hadn't had time to look at the 400 songs on the DVD that someone sent me, so I was sight reading and transposing chords from a set of lyrics in Portuguese, guessing chords off guitar (not too bad) and cavaquino (how is that tuned?), and an entire set which consisted of one 45 minute samba. Much respect to Bilbo - when you see him play this stuff you think it sounds like a piece of cake until you're there in the thick of it. Handling a completely different genre without seemingly breaking sweat is the mark of someone who really knows what he's doing.

Thanks for doing that, Pete. There's plenty more where that came from!! Feedback from the band leader was positive and I have no doubt that you will be hearing from him again soon.

I had to dep that one out because I had been called for a jazz gig at One Great George Street in Westminster (opposite Parliament Square). Trio with Carl Hudson (Boston, Colchester and now London) on piano and Alex Best from Ipswich on drums. Best jazz gig I have done is a long time - great swing, lots of listening. Great sounding room (wood panelling, carpets, high ceiling);and everyone playing at the top of their game. The result was greater than the sum of its parts. Jazz heaven! Its nice to get back to where the passion is!

Edited by bilbo230763

First gig with a new band. However, this time last week we'd never even been in the same room together (eek!) We rehearsed five numbers on Friday night and performed twelve at a local acoustic music club last night. Fortunately the band just 'clicked'.

Line up of drummer, me on bass, guitar/cittern player and two outstanding fiddle players (doubling on low whistle & mandolin etc). Kind of Moving Hearts/Donal Lunny/Fairporty stuff, lots of deep trancey groove with beautiful traditional melodies on top. Some strong folk ballads that I was familiar with, having been dragged up through the clubs as a kid.

Much playing by ear, since I couldn't cop the chords from the guitarist's left hand when he was playing cittern. A few 'brown adrenaline' moments but very well received.

Phew.

And :)* bonus* :huh: another band I'm in has been booked for Larmertree festival in July. Chuffed. Myself and Mrs Ninja had already booked, so two Thurs>Sun adult tickets may become available at face value (subject to contract, o'course).

our gig went amazingly well.

our first gig...and we lost count of the number of people who came up to us after and told us how much they enjoyed it.

got paid, got another gig off the back of it and someone told me i was an amazing bass player

:)

[quote name='ahpook' post='173565' date='Apr 10 2008, 12:53 AM']our gig went amazingly well.

our first gig...and we lost count of the number of people who came up to us after and told us how much they enjoyed it.

got paid, got another gig off the back of it [b][size=4]and someone told me i was an amazing bass player[/size][/b]

:)[/quote]
That's priceless, that last bit! A good night then...

We have been doing Holiday camps for the past few weeks (last one for now this Sat) and even though the money is rubbish we still enjoy it.
Its a shame the weathers been rubbish.
its funny but these places are just like a big WMC but with people who act liek they are still alive. We always go down well even though we dont have a show, costume changes etc. Just the 4 of us playing a good selection of songs. We have had quite a few people come up to us afterwards to say how refreshing it was to see a "real" band and not have to see some pretty boys/girls dancing and singing to CD's etc.