Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='142938' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:37 AM']Got a gig this friday

unfortunatley i aint playing bass in it i'm singing but still it's a gig....

anyone got any tips as it's the bands first gig it's at our school, we're doing a half an hour set it's my second performance singing.....

any tips would be welcome then i'll let you know how it went....

:)[/quote]

heya guys just to let you know...

the gig went swimingly we were asked for an encore and thankfully had something prepared.

it's been announced we are now the "school band" so any concerts any occasions we will be asked to play at them...

not much but it'll get me used to band life and if i wanna take it further i'll have some experience at least....

cheers for the advice by the way i did it all, planned my speaking we rolled into each song with out twiddling or anything and the feeling of everyone singing red hot chilli peppers by the way back at me and the band was brilliant

will let you know when the next one is....

P.s any ideas for new material would be brillian we do a range of stuff from the chilli's to eric clapton...

:huh:

P.s.s will upload some pics when i get em...

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='146641' date='Feb 25 2008, 03:16 PM']heya guys just to let you know...

the gig went swimingly we were asked for an encore and thankfully had something prepared.

it's been announced we are now the "school band" so any concerts any occasions we will be asked to play at them...

not much but it'll get me used to band life and if i wanna take it further i'll have some experience at least....

cheers for the advice by the way i did it all, planned my speaking we rolled into each song with out twiddling or anything and the feeling of everyone singing red hot chilli peppers by the way back at me and the band was brilliant

will let you know when the next one is....

P.s any ideas for new material would be brilliant we do a range of stuff from the chilli's to eric clapton...

;)

P.s.s will upload some pics when i get em...[/quote]

I just love it when a plan comes together ...

I just love it when someone asks for advice, accepts it, implements it and it all works out :)
:huh:

New tunes?
Just go through this thread of guaranteed floor fillers
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8685&hl=floor+fillers"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...l=floor+fillers[/url]
and play all the great tunes there.
Remember the "only one slow tune per set" rule....

Played our first ever gig at the Jazz Cafe last night. We planned on going as good little boys, setting up quickly, playing our set and getting off the stage at our allotted time so the next band could set up and stay on schedule.

After we'd finished our set all we could hear was screams of 'Encore!'. Then our singer told the crowd it wasn't up to us. Then the compere told us to do another one. After we did that the crowd asked for another encore! The compere told us we had to do another one, so we did.

First gig at the Jazz Cafe and TWO f**king encores! I'm still smiling now. :)

Classic , last night.

The manager of the pub we were due to play did a runner on Weds leaving the pub chain with no option but to close it.

The chain at least looked after us best they could by offering us a last minute gig at one of their other pubs 10 miles away that's never had bands on. No advertising at all.

Turned up , set up , 4 punters. 4!!!!

The landlady was so embarrassed. We did our first set after which she paid us in full , plied us with free drinks and re-booked us in a month, promising a publicity blitz!

I was home before 11.

And I missed the f*****g Masterchef final!!!!

Bet I do 80 - 100 gigs this year , nice to get the worst one over by Feb!!

[quote name='The Funk' post='148701' date='Feb 28 2008, 11:48 PM']Played our first ever gig at the Jazz Cafe last night. We planned on going as good little boys, setting up quickly, playing our set and getting off the stage at our allotted time so the next band could set up and stay on schedule.

After we'd finished our set all we could hear was screams of 'Encore!'. Then our singer told the crowd it wasn't up to us. Then the compere told us to do another one. After we did that the crowd asked for another encore! The compere told us we had to do another one, so we did.

First gig at the Jazz Cafe and TWO f**king encores! I'm still smiling now. :)[/quote]

Excellent, Congratulations!

Played with jazz pianist Chris Ingham last night - what a musician! It was one of those nights that we jazzers occasionally get when it all gels and the overall effect is greater than the sum of its parts. Chris' playing made me sound great and the drummer, who can get a bit casual about it all if he's bored, was on top of it. Great grooves, lots of listening - what more can you ask for.

Niiiice!

:)

Played a pub in the middle of town. security on the door. not that many in but we went down well, took a few people with us even so we were asked for an encore from everyone. one funny moment came at the end when three bloke who wherer passing by the pub decided it sounded good and and stayed untill the end and thought we were fantastic, one said if our singer was female he would s..g him. the would be definetly comng to our next gig they said. umm right.

Fountain Head Inn at Halifax

Felt s**t all week with flu so was dreading last nights gig but turned out to be a cracker at a new pub for us with brilliant landlady ( bought us all drinks after the first set !! ) and hugely enthusiastic audience who sang and danced to every song.

Roll on tomorrow night when we get to do it all again and then twice again next week !!

Ponty and District Club Pontypridd.

A place with evil stairs :) I forgot about the stairs....still a tidy gig, a darn good turn out for the boys. As much as we appreciated the in house PA, the lights, the smoke machine, the dressing room, the nice people that run it, the nice people that go there....it sounded DREADFUL!!! We had monitors everywhere but they just didn't seem to do the job, the sound guy is a bass player so we sort of had a huge bass and drum sound ;) We couldn't hear each other very well, the vocal mic was feeding back as soon as you looked at it, t'was hard work so we thought, Ah feck it! although the sound guys are a little on the green side lets just enjoy it for what it is....a rock band with a s**te sound ;) Ended up being an enjoyable gig :huh:

The Bull, Chichester. Phriendly guv'nor & staff, nice laid back vibe. Nowhere to set up on arrival, so the guv'nor buys us a drink and says, 'no rush, lads...'

Finally load in and set up, beginning only 10 mins late. Played well, but all of us a bit knackered and firing on about 95%. Still went well, with folks travelling a fair distance to see us ([i]which was nice[/i]).

Beginning to GAS after a Jazz V. Anyone want to buy a kidney, one careful owner?

Playing Thursday at a 'Roots around the World' gig with a band from Carolina. Looks interesting, I'll let you know how it goes.

Just a covers gig in Reading O'Neills last night, but was brilliant, the whole band was clicking well, good energy!!

Used my Precision for the whole gig rather then my Jazz as I'm starting to have a few problems with the raised pole-pieces on the jazz getting a bit sharp. I've been finishing gigs with really knackered tips of fingers......or indeed finger-tips!

But the P was wicked, was loadsa fun and sounded awesome, really loving the Dimarzio!

Si

Edited by Sibob

The Dolls House Abertillery

More stairs....this time even worse, steep and a very low ceiling, ended up pulling my back. In house PA but the sound guy was more interested in his 28 versions of Stairway to Heaven on his pc than actually sorting a decent sound, still I managed to get a nice tight sound from my HA 4000, think it might be something to do with using D'Addario strings more these days, still get good response from them even if the band want to tune down a semi tone, I normally hate tuning down but with these strings seems to be a little more tension

Not a bad gig though.

After three weeks of shows & an excellent week at the end of the period playing "Spend Spend Spend" on my cello, followed by a nice and easy jazz gig at the Sands Venue in Gainsborough, there had to be a payback somewhere along the line...

Played this Saturday with "The 3 Beats" at a WMC in Hucknall, Nottingham. Boring 60's stuff (had to play my Hofner!), boring but big audience (who were only interested in the bingo) & very reasonable pay. The verdict? Soul destroying yet rather profitable!

Remember the much repeated scene in Phoenix Nights where the two uninterested old ladies tap one hand on the table in time to the band while waiting for bingo? I was there!!!

Welcome to my life.

F**k, I hate clubland!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Saturday night - not a bass gig for me but the duo. Me on Variax simulating acoustic 6 and 12-strings, and Kaz (plus a Digitech harmoniser) on vocals. And, er, this was a Battle of the Bands against four rock bands. So three bands go on, playing rock at the heavier end of the spectrum, then we come on. The layout of the place is stage with barrier, dancefloor area, raised rear area, and the other bands had people lining the barrier (no-one dancing). We start and there's no-one at the barrier, then three lads wander up to the barrier, then three girls, then a few more - we were quite astonished, TBH, they were actually at the barrier taking photos of us. And at least one of them has heard us before and remembers one of the covers, as he shouted "Do Cindi Lauper" just before we went into "Time after time". Kewl. And the DJs were very complimentary to us afterwards.

Obviously we didn't win, but it was a really good evening. Really could do with recruiting a guitarist and drummer so I can get back onto bass and the songs can get the oomph they deserve.

A dreary night up the M65 for us, we played at the Dugdale Arms which boasts room for up to 200 people on t'internet but we played in a room about the same size as my living room to about 25 people.

They were enthusiastic enough and later, towards the end the chavs came out of the bar to join in. Turned out they were good lads and weren't looking for bother. One of them got up and sang with us and it was all good natured. We played some Jam for them at the end and they loved it.

Fagins Llantrisant.

Really good gig to play with a receptive crowd, nice chap running the place. A convenient side door to the stage, straight out of the van and start setting up :) , no lifting for me though pulled my back Saturday night. Bit of an odd sound when you're playing, must be because the stage is like an alcove type of thing. Had a chance to try our new Behringer desk and a vocal monitor called a "Thump" it's one of those light weight type of speakers that have plenty of power. A good gig!

Played in London at a place called The Bedford, maybe 100 people there and was webcast which was brilliant fun. Played my pink P-Bass and got smashed.

Saturday was a prog night at a place called The Peel in Kingston. Full electric set, where I did some stand up comedy when we had some technical issues on stage!

Great gigs, lots of Jagermeister and Red Bull.

Fun was had by all, and I found a US Fender Strat for £200 in Brixton. Very tasty!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='150205' date='Mar 3 2008, 10:35 AM']Saturday was a prog night at a place called The Peel in Kingston. Full electric set, where I did some stand up comedy when we had some technical issues on stage![/quote]

Did you share a Dressing Room with the Strippers Lawrie?? :)

I LOVE playing at the Peel. Rough as a*seholes but a good crowd generally.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Saturday at the Rose of England in Nottingham - our first proper full gig with our new lead guitarist. And it was a stormer! Could have done with a few more bodies in the audience, as usual three-quarters of those who said they'd be there didn't show up... Still those who were there enjoyed themselves, and if everyone had showed up we'd have had problems with the venue capacity. My new bass amp (Tech Sound Systems Blackcat bought from Warwickhunt) was plenty loud enough and there were only a few moments when lack of rehearsals with everyone at the same time showed. Can't wait for the next one now.

Ever since I've joined BassChat I've looked upon this thread with envy, thinking to myself "one day, dam it, I will contribute!!!" And so....

We had our first ever gig on Saturday night in our local, they have a real good band who play 1st Saturday of the month and their Bass Player has been helping us out loads with Sunday practise sessions, so a couple of weeks ago he suggested we did a couple of songs in-between their 1st and 2nd sets, just to get use to the idea of being on stage.

Now, only one of us, luckily our v. talented vocalist, has ever done anything remotely resembling public performance. The guitarist and I have never done it, in fact prior to Saturday night, the only thing I've ever done was be a sunflower in the school play (and I'm now 30). We rattled through Bohemian Like You and Chasing Cars.

I think we did OK, we agreed on a good 6 out of 10 and judging by the applause we got, they didn’t hear the mistakes ;-). However as a first time ever performance, what a feeling! I totally get why you guys get a buzz out of playing. Awesome!

Edited by Moody

[quote name='Moody' post='150321' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:56 PM']Ever since I've joined BassChat I've looked upon this thread with envy, thinking to myself "one day, dam it, I will contribute!!!" And so....

We had our first ever gig on Saturday night in our local, they have a real good band who play 1st Saturday of the month and their Bass Player has been helping us out loads with Sunday practise sessions, so a couple of weeks ago he suggested we did a couple of songs in-between their 1st and 2nd sets, just to get use to the idea of being on stage.

Now, only one of us, luckily our v. talented vocalist, has ever done anything remotely resembling public performance. The guitarist and I have never done it, in fact prior to Saturday night, the only thing I've ever done was be a sunflower in the school play (and I'm now 30). We rattled through Bohemian Like You and Chasing Cars.

I think we did OK, we agreed on a good 6 out of 10 and judging by the applause we got, they didn’t hear the mistakes ;-). However as a first time ever performance, what a feeling! I totally get why you guys get a buzz out of playing. Awesome![/quote]

Nice one Moody, gigging is great innit? Hey, now that you've broken your cherry, let's have some more posts from you ya hear :)

[quote name='Moody' post='150321' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:56 PM']I think we did OK, we agreed on a good 6 out of 10 and judging by the applause we got, they didn’t hear the mistakes ;-). However as a first time ever performance, what a feeling! I totally get why you guys get a buzz out of playing. Awesome![/quote]

It's good, innit? I've been doing it for years but I introduced the future Mrs Zero to the stage a couple of years ago at the tender age of 44 and she took to it like a duck to water and loves the buzz she gets from it.

[quote name='Moody' post='150321' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:56 PM']Ever since I've joined BassChat I've looked upon this thread with envy, thinking to myself "one day, dam it, I will contribute!!!" And so....

I think we did OK, we agreed on a good 6 out of 10 and judging by the applause we got, they didn’t hear the mistakes ;-). However as a first time ever performance, what a feeling! I totally get why you guys get a buzz out of playing. Awesome![/quote]

Congratulations!

Yes there really is nothing like it for adrenaline that doesn't involve doing illegal things .....
:)