Why become a member? ×

Year of Origin Basses

elom

I have got nice gear that I have acquired over the past few years, all paid for from gigging. Whilst there is of course tons of stuff that I want there is nothing to be honest that I [i]need[/i]. Then I read about a guy who's gone and bought a bass that was made the same year that he was, just because. This strikes me as an excellent idea - though I know that really I just like it because it gives me a 'reason' to buy another bass.

Anyway, I shall try and resist but have any of you got year of origin basses?

elom

(no harm in doing an ebay search for 'bass 1969' though... :) )

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='737611' date='Feb 6 2010, 08:57 PM']83 just doesn't seem to be a good year for basses.[/quote]

Yeah, I have a similar problem... I can't really think of anything from '86 that would be a keeper. Maybe a Status or nice Aria, but its a tricky one. All these lucky chaps born in the '60s get ALL the best basses :)

I may have a problem with this one - Carbon graphite wasn't invented in 1969! :)

I'd have to buy some ghastly wooden plank with the pickup right up against the end of the fingerboard like a Hofner Club. Then again, judging on how I've worn and aged over the last forty years, it'd be a pretty horrid and grimy specimen!

Rich.

[quote name='bythesea' post='737688' date='Feb 6 2010, 10:26 PM']Rather unlikely for me - could probably stretch to [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Catalog-Flyer-Reprint-1954-Vintage-Paper_W0QQitemZ380197282384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885862250"]this[/url]...[/quote]

:) As long as it has great core tone when u turn the pages.

BB

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='737626' date='Feb 6 2010, 09:06 PM']Yeah, I have a similar problem... I can't really think of anything from '86 that would be a keeper.[/quote]

How ironic, the basses I do have are mid 80s.

Just realised that the Gibson Les Paul bass was launched in 69 and that just happens to be my favourite shape.... Did I mention that I got a new credit card last week?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='737775' date='Feb 7 2010, 12:23 AM']I'm wanting a nice 5 or 6 string fretless, but I doubt there'll be any from '71.[/quote]

[url="http://www.toruku.jp/yokono/en/gallery/Pollmann/"]http://www.toruku.jp/yokono/en/gallery/Pollmann/[/url]

There you go mate, 1971 5 string fretless :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='737611' date='Feb 6 2010, 08:57 PM']83 just doesn't seem to be a good year for basses.[/quote]

I've got a really nice Squier SQ series Precision from '83.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='737640' date='Feb 6 2010, 09:22 PM']It would be unforturnate if you were born before 1951 then lolz. Mind you, i doubt there would be much exciting from 1991 though. I might be interested in getting a nice peavey or something from that era maybe?[/quote]

My Tobias Standard 6 is from '91-I think thats pretty exciting.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='737627' date='Feb 6 2010, 09:07 PM']I may have a problem with this one - Carbon graphite wasn't invented in 1969! :rolleyes:

I'd have to buy some ghastly wooden plank with the pickup right up against the end of the fingerboard like a Hofner Club. Then again, judging on how I've worn and aged over the last forty years, it'd be a pretty horrid and grimy specimen!

Rich.[/quote]

I own a Charvel Jackson 1988 (D.O.B.) star, I used to look at the one Chris Holmes used in WASP when I was 3 onwards. When I saw one on Ebay (and they're quite hard to find) my father bought me it for my 21st...pretty wicked :lol: . I also own a 1969 Custom bass, but its not worn or grimy :)

Edited by Schnozzalee