Why become a member? ×

Mistakes

Owen

The awful bass towards the end of KC & The Sunshine Band's 'Please Don't Go'. As if the song wasn't toe-curling enough, the bassist's timing evaporates completely at one point and he appears to compensate by plucking really hard, with nasty distorted results. And thus, a grim song becomes grimmer.

[quote name='OldGit' post='728807' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:35 PM']They do? Er, I've never noticed anything .. Can you eloborate? Ta
[/quote]
Well, the bass has a few "bad choices" and drops out briefly towards the end, Rod Stewart is off key in places and most of the overdubbed lead guitar playing is very "lumpy" when starting and stopping.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='728913' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:45 PM']It's like a production rather than playing cock-up.[/quote]
If we're onto production errors, [url="http://www.hometracked.com/2007/08/23/10-recording-bloopers-that-made-the-album/"]here's a selection[/url]. Some not so bad, some awful. The Clapton and Dixie Chicks ones are painful. Bonham's pedal I've always loved. The squeak gives it a real "live" feeling for me.

Hmmm..

The Police. So Lonely. I think in the 3rd verse, the bass comes in on completely the wrong beat.

The Police. Roxanne. Listen thru headphones and you can distinctly hear a number of edits, often the tape hiss gives it away.

Beatles. Day Tripper. Where was Macca going at the end of that song just as it fades. It sounds very much like he has lost his place in the song.

I love hearing mistakes in stuff and imagining the produce saying something like "Look, it really doesn't matter. Yes YOU notice it, because you played it.. but the punters are too stupid to hear it mate. We'll just let it go OK?"

It's not really a mistake as such but if you listen through only one channel on Paperback Writer you can hear (probably McCartney) shuffling around and sniffing waiting for the next bit to sing over. It's only because of the really heavily left/right mixing that was done you can hear it as it allows you to mix out nearly all instruments with just your standard stereo.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='728856' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:01 PM']Listen to the kick, and tap along with it...[/quote]
It is clearly well out. I'll have to listen to the album and see if it's on there. I find it hard to believe they let that slip through, no excuse for that.

[quote name='chris_b' post='728904' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:39 PM']Just heard on the Radio. The bass playing on Maggie May is more doodling than playing.[/quote]
Absolutely... and for me, the record is all the better for it.

I seem to remember that Ronnie Wood played bass on that track.

[quote name='silddx' post='728962' date='Jan 29 2010, 05:28 PM']It is clearly well out. I'll have to listen to the album and see if it's on there. I find it hard to believe they let that slip through, no excuse for that.[/quote]
It is, it is, I do to, and there isn't!

It's shocking...

The Rush one sounds like a Pro-Tools cock up.

One that springs to mind is a rare Jamerson cock up on "Sweetest Feeling" by Jackie Wilson

Spooky. Same as the Rush number.
Note to all- when recording, concentrate 1min 19 secs in.

I always wonder about the bassline in Dancing Queen- last chorus over "See that girl, watch that scene diggin' the Dancing Queen" bit.
Its always played with a C♯ passing note between the D and B- last chorus he plays a C♮and try as I might I have to play it whenever I do it otherwise the 'right' way sounds wrong!

On youtube there is a "vid" ..well audio only, that isolates guitar, bass and drums respectivley of THE POLICE (roxanne I think) you can hear alsorts of overspill (vox,drums ect) and stuff, a few fluffed bits too.
You can hearSting using a pick click to help him count ,allsorts. interesting to a fan!!
Ive heard it a few times Ill look for it and try to embed it unless anyone gets there first!! :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='728900' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:36 PM']Well, the bass has a few "bad choices" and drops out briefly towards the end, Rod Stewart is off key in places and most of the overdubbed lead guitar playing is very "lumpy" when starting and stopping.[/quote]

Ah Ok I'll go back and listen again. I've loved it since it was first released though so I guess all that doesn' really make much difference :)

I like a bit of human stuff in records. Too correct sounds horrible..

[quote name='chris_b' post='728900' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:36 PM']Rod Stewart is off key in places[/quote]

But surely Rod Stewart's ability to put it slightly off key and make it work is what made him famous.

I can't help but feel that the whole musical word is suffering from over production and the expectation of perfection.
Music is still mostly (thankfully) produced by human beings after all. Personally I think a bit of humanity adds so much to recordings. Anyone with enough time, technology, and 'takes' can 'produce' perfection. To play a song live and get it mostly right, with some feeling takes real skill.

Give me real live music with some flaws and personality over a perfect studio production anyday of the week.