Why become a member? ×

Mistakes

Owen

I teach a module called listening skills. One of the grading criteria (get me with my teacherspeak) is

hear and identify sonic and musical
faults in a recording or performance,
competently and independently, showing
a comprehensive understanding

I do have a list of recordings where bad things have happened and actually got through to the release stage, however it never hurts to have some more. Anybody have any favourite bloopers?

TIA

Edited by owen

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='728630' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:01 PM']Texas Twister - Little Feat (a couple of AWFUL edits)
We Hold On - Rush (an apalling edit)

Both quite rotten, but I think Texas Twister was a limitiation of the technology available at the time. Rush have no exuse for theirs, though...![/quote]

If you are including edits, Stereophonics/Jools Holland - the single version of Handbags and Gladrags where they edit the brass part to only play once, feels like the rest of the record is tripping up on itself.

I suppose you must have heard Gene Genie by Bowie? Where the bass starts the chorus about half way through the verse?

You could play your students Broken Dream by Python Lee Jackson. They make every mistake in the book but to be fair it was only a hastily recorded demo that would never have seen the light of day if Rod hadn't recorded Maggie May!

I remember a lecture on music production when we were shown a track by Alanis Morissette that's full of recording mistakes.

Just done a quick search - it's 'Hand in my Pocket' from the Jagged Little Pill album. Before the vocals come in there's a noise which is (apparently) the radiator in the studio, then in the second line there's a really badly done punch-in (halfway through a breath).

Is that what you meant? Sorry if this is an obvious one btw. :)

[quote name='Huwberry' post='728709' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:55 PM']That's just amazing. Funny thing is, I never noticed it before![/quote]

Agreed. Next time someone's worrying about their first gig ("but what if I make a mistaaaake?") and we're doling out the usual "don't worry, if you make a mistake, no-one will notice" platitudes, we could use that clip as evidence.

S.P.

More of a recording blooper than playing, but take your pick from Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Californication" - clipping scattered throughout, the song "Otherside" springs to mind. Cheap shot really and you're probably already well aware of it, the album is often cited as an example when discussing the "loudness war".

[quote name='chris_b' post='728698' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:47 PM']You could play your students Broken Dream by Python Lee Jackson. They make every mistake in the book but to be fair it was only a hastily recorded demo that would never have seen the light of day if Rod hadn't recorded Maggie May![/quote]

They do? Er, I've never noticed anything .. Can you eloborate? Ta

I nominate whoever was on tuning checking on this one:

Alto sax, 2:45 :)
Wacks me in the ears every time ...

The Supremes -'Reflections'. Edit done with a blunt kitchen knife.
Derek&Dominos 'In Concert Live'- great bum note from EC in 'Have you ever loved a woman' (which he tries to get round!)
Jackie Wilson - 'Higher and higher'. Rhythm guitar part out of tune, but sounds great!

[quote name='OldGit' post='728807' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:35 PM']They do? Er, I've never noticed anything .. Can you eloborate? Ta

I nominate whoever was on tuning checking on this one:

Alto sax, 2:45 :)
Wacks me in the ears every time ...[/quote]

God yeah, forgot about that one-me too!
Same as some of Bowie's sax noodlings too (Man who sold the world maybe?)

[quote name='chris_b' post='728698' date='Jan 29 2010, 01:47 PM']I suppose you must have heard Gene Genie by Bowie? Where the bass starts the chorus about half way through the verse?[/quote]

I have been using that one. On careful listening it actually sounds like the guitar actually moves out of his groove early which then throws the bass player off and the whole thing gets a bit wobbly.

Thanks everyone, keep them coming.