Why become a member? ×

Butchering a Pedulla MVP5!

Shockwave

[quote name='yorick' post='766408' date='Mar 6 2010, 07:54 PM']Nice sanding job... how long did it take?[/quote]

About 4 hours start to finish. I tried using industrial stripper which did NOTHING, Best thing for it was the heat gun and scraper.

Lookin' good! Considering all the work you put into sanding it back to the bare wood why don't you refinish it in clear or tint lacquer - maybe even some type of oil. Just because the wings aren't AAA+ flame doesn't mean the wood isn't worth showing. Ironically enough, you'll probably find a Pedulla is much more saleable in a natural finish :)

Good job on the strip! Go careful if you're routing - those things still scare me.

For the re-fin have you consdered Rustins Plastic Coating? Self-curing in few hours and can be brushed on and flat sanded? I used the clear stuff on a few profects and was happiy with the results. It used to be made in clear, solid black or white. Worth a thought...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='769638' date='Mar 9 2010, 08:02 PM']Nah, not spray cans. Paintbrushes!

Careful though, those watercolour paints can be a bitch to apply.[/quote]
Well, it won't be going anywhere near water so watercolours should be OK. Especially if you cover it with sticky back plastic. :)

+100000 on the professional refinish. If you want something unique, give my good friend Dave Hobbs a bell.

[url="http://www.insanarty.co.uk"]www.insanarty.co.uk[/url]

He's refinished two of my basses and a guitar for a mate and they look fantastic. If you're on facebook, drop me a pm with your profile name and I'll add you as a mate and you can see the fruits of his labours.

Would cost you well under £250, including lacquering.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='772045' date='Mar 11 2010, 08:03 PM']+100000 on the professional refinish. If you want something unique, give my good friend Dave Hobbs a bell.

[url="http://www.insanarty.co.uk"]www.insanarty.co.uk[/url]

He's refinished two of my basses and a guitar for a mate and they look fantastic. If you're on facebook, drop me a pm with your profile name and I'll add you as a mate and you can see the fruits of his labours.

Would cost you well under £250, including lacquering.[/quote]

Looks good! I dont have facebook though. I'll have a think! How long does it take him to do it? Just a solid colour or something fancy like your Jazz's bowling ball finish?