Why become a member? ×

Butchering a Pedulla MVP5!

Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1180752' date='Mar 29 2011, 01:33 PM']You can find out earlier in the thread! All was explained.

I would love green LEDS but i assume the fingerboard would have to come off of the bass to get them fitted, which would damage the paintwork?

A note on the paint, its VERY hard to get an even coat on it, if even one bit is missing or uneven, or darker, you cant just strip the finish back around that patch, because it leaves a dark patch. Even when you respray over the darker patch it still a different shade to the rest of the body! The last coat had to be done in one go, with no mistakes, no running.

I was thinking of just putting some bright green plastic inlays in, instead.[/quote]

If you go to Martin Sims, he retrofits them - and this is done by making a thin insertion down the length of the neck. The wiring is done through that slot. Once wired, this is filled and blown over with polyester leaving the work "invisible". Given what you've said about this paint (I'm guessing it's not polyester from what you've said) you'll have to spray a complete coat if you weren't happy with line.

I've done some inlays with putty-like substances (usually Milliput).
I'd probably drill a hole in a piece of wood and do a trial run. That way you can ensure that the putty doesn't shrink when it dries (if it does, just make sure you put enough on to account for the shrinkage) and that the final finished colour is what you're after. Keep a lump of spare putty handy, and when it is rock hard, your inlay putty will be too. Scrape off the majority of the excess putty with a cabinet scraper or sharp chisel. Are you happy to sand the area around the holes? You'll need to do that to make it perfectly flush, preferably to something like 400 grit.

You're obviously quite handy, so sorry if any of this is stating the obvious.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1180947' date='Mar 29 2011, 03:57 PM']I've done some inlays with putty-like substances (usually Milliput).
I'd probably drill a hole in a piece of wood and do a trial run. That way you can ensure that the putty doesn't shrink when it dries (if it does, just make sure you put enough on to account for the shrinkage) and that the final finished colour is what you're after. Keep a lump of spare putty handy, and when it is rock hard, your inlay putty will be too. Scrape off the majority of the excess putty with a cabinet scraper or sharp chisel. Are you happy to sand the area around the holes? You'll need to do that to make it perfectly flush, preferably to something like 400 grit.

You're obviously quite handy, so sorry if any of this is stating the obvious.[/quote]

Can you paint milliput green before kneading? It needs to be either mixed with the paint used for the bass, or already bright green.

I've checked the Milliput website and can't see any mention of being able to mix paint with it. I was thinking of you using the neon green stuff you said you could source. Alternatively you could pick up some [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milliput-Superfine-White-113-4g-Pack/dp/B001OBBTO0"]white Milliput[/url] and experiment

Well we have managed to source some inlay material for the front dots, they will be the same green colour. However side dots will have to be missed out as they are just too darned small!

I have considered the putty route and all of your suggestions, but it is just too fiddly to work with. Unless anyone else is willing to do the job for me? :)