Why become a member? ×

Butchering a Pedulla MVP5!

Shockwave

I've used chrome spray quite a lot in the past.

Whatever you're spraying onto has to be perfect as any flaws will really show up.

Funnily I was talking to my next door neighbour yesterday and we were wondering whether a chrome guitar might be a little to excessive

[quote name='gilmour' post='772876' date='Mar 12 2010, 03:41 PM']I've used chrome spray quite a lot in the past.

Whatever you're spraying onto has to be perfect as any flaws will really show up.

Funnily I was talking to my next door neighbour yesterday and we were wondering whether a chrome guitar might be a little to excessive[/quote]

Check out Martin Sims chrome efforts. Have to admit, when they go right, they look good. When they don't... well... you're on your own. Another thing to remember is that the second that there is any marks on the chrome it looks bad... so if your are a bit eager with your pick or if you are a slapper, your finish is going to look pretty battered very quickly.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='777230' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:17 PM']All parts have now arrived!

Project is now put on hold til i finish my dissertation due in next week![/quote]

Nice one mate,
good luck with yer dissertation!

My 2p, I'd go for a really deep blue refin, or maybe metallic british racing green.
Maybe you should open a poll?...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Shockwave' post='777230' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:17 PM']All parts have now arrived!

Project is now put on hold til i finish my dissertation due in next week![/quote]
Best of luck with the dissertaion. Just been there at the end of last year with a successfull result. It's worth all the hard work.

[quote name='Wil' post='777236' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:20 PM']I think you should go for a black refin personally. It'll help detract from the fact the body is shaped like a melted sweet :)[/quote]

All in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think the Buzz is one of the more elegant body shapes for a bass.

And +1 for getting this refinished professionally. It's a fine quality bass - do it justice.

Well i have narrowed it down to 4 choices. Stain the wood (Colour not chosen but either black, purple, or green) Solid gecko green, Bright White, or stealth/stark black.

Staining seems to be easiest option as i have stained a guitar before and came out alright with minimal tools. But i have a feeling the wood has not got the best grain for staining.

well, keeping in mind the routings, i wouldn't go with a stained finish.
the finish may be cheaper, but when you resell it, you would get less for it, if it looks ugly because of the visible routings.

plus, there is an gnot on the back of the body.

so, i would go with a solid finish.

i it was my bass, i'd go with gloss white.
look at this guitar, don't you think gloss white with a little bit of black looks really good ?

the other possibility would be grey primer, like on the truckster, but WITHOUT the relic job. and i'd add a few clear coats, to make it a glossy finish.

be careful about matte finishes (like stealth):
it may look good in the first week, but later on, the bass will be polished where you touch it often, and will be matte where you don't touch too much.
it doesn't look that good in my opinion...

Well i tried my hand out routing Saturday, freehand. The pickup is routed in, but its about 2 degrees off placement wise. I'll post pics once its fixed!

As a side note, a MM5 TW pup is HUGE compared to a P pup.

I have chosen the colour to paint it, i wont say what til its finished to my satisfaction though!