Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

i have to agree with Gene Simmons - have you heard some of the lines he puts in to some of their earlier material? he manages to provide just the right line for the song.
if you listen to the line he plays in "rock and roll all night", and then realise he sings against it as well! GIT!
also i must echo Neil murray - his time in Whitesnake was seminal for me, as it made me realise what an essential part the bass player has in making the song move. his sound was beautiful. It's such a shame that he doesn't get the props he deserves. after all he played with Whitesnake, Sabbath, Brian May, as well as we will rock you!
Also i have to add my voice to those suggesting Steve DiGiorgio - what a player! Listen to the first Control Denied album if you are in any doubt!
and finally FRANK BELLO

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='64672' date='Sep 24 2007, 11:51 AM']i have to agree with Gene Simmons - have you heard some of the lines he puts in to some of their earlier material? he manages to provide just the right line for the song.
if you listen to the line he plays in "rock and roll all night", and then realise he sings against it as well! GIT![/quote]

Aww.... that's not too bad.... I actually find that one to be one of the easiest to sing & play with the Tribute band....but try singing & playing 'Goin Blind' by KISS! :) :huh:

Anybody mentioned Bill Wyman yet? Not flash, not a tapper or a slapper, but rock solid without making a fuss about it. And despite his fame he quite happily, in the Rythm Kings at least, lets others take the limelight.

And Andy Fraser, of course, but is he really underrated? Most people seem to hold him in high regard.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

I used to think [url="http://www.bryanbeller.com/"]Bryan Beller[/url] was underrated, through the years he's worked with [url="http://www.keneally.com/"]Mike Keneally[/url]. Well, I suppose touring with Steve Vai this summer pushes him over in to the Rated category... :)

A genre that never gets mentioned is the 'new romantic' movement. The two major players were Mick Karn & John Taylor but what about

Curt Smith (Tears For Fears)
Mik Sweeney (Classix Noveaux)
Paul Webb (Talk Talk)
Chriss Cross (Ultravox)
Gary Tibbs (Roxy Music/Adam & The Ants)
Gazza Johnson (China Crisis)
Barry Adamson (Visage)
Matin Kemp (Spandau Ballet / DFS furniture)
Michael Dempsey (The Cure/Associates)
John Mulligan (Fashion)....piss poor but lovely bass

OK so a lot of them were very average but nobody ever mentions them.

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Lenny B' post='27945' date='Jul 6 2007, 04:35 PM']Whoever played bass on the soundtrack to the film version of "Hair" - as fast and groovy as anything![/quote]

Great choice - that was the great, criminally overlooked [b]Wilbur Bascomb[/b]. "Hair" is jaw-dropping stuff.

[b]Jamaaladeen Tacuma[/b] never gets mentioned anywhere.

And I think that [b]Paul S. Denman[/b] is doing a terriffic job with Sade - tasteful lines, flawless time, wonderful sound.

[quote name='chris_b' post='44768' date='Aug 13 2007, 12:13 PM']I think you mean Lewis Steinberg. He and Al Jackson left the Willie Mitchell band in 1962 and formed the MG's with Booket T and Steve Cropper. It is Lewis playing on Green Onions.[/quote]

Hi,

You're right - must keep taking the pills !

Rhino.

[quote name='Josh' post='67726' date='Sep 30 2007, 04:40 PM']Maroon 5, he's alright, hold's down the groove quite well but thats about it.[/quote]

True, he only plays roots, but he keeps a groove really well. I was listening to songs about jane the other day, thats what made me mention him, and i thought that some of the rythms he plays are quite complicated and it must be hard to keep that groove. I wouldn't know, though, I've never tried learning any of his basslines.

To wear my roots on my sleeve I have to say -

JJ Burnell - Stranglers (is he counted as underrated?)
Paul Gray - Hot Rods, Damned, UFO et al
Bruce Foxton - Jam
William Mysterious - Rezillos
Jah Wobble - PiL

+1 on Gary Tibbs too

Loads more really that my crappy old memory fails me on. The top four moulded my 'style' for sure :)

Oh.. just broke my basschat virginity! yay!