Why become a member? ×

How Cool Is A Gretsch Bass?

merello

Found on :
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gretsch-G6128B-Thunder-Jet-Semi-Hollow-Bass-TV-Jones_W0QQitemZ400094567257QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5d277e9b59#ht_3825wt_1087"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gretsch-G6128B-Thund...#ht_3825wt_1087[/url]

ps - I'm not a seller!

[quote name='merello' post='701566' date='Jan 5 2010, 01:35 PM']

Found on :
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gretsch-G6128B-Thunder-Jet-Semi-Hollow-Bass-TV-Jones_W0QQitemZ400094567257QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5d277e9b59#ht_3825wt_1087"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gretsch-G6128B-Thund...#ht_3825wt_1087[/url]

ps - I'm not a seller![/quote]

I just jizzed a little.

I had a Thunderjet identical to the one at the top, it was a work of art, just beautiful, even the Mrs liked it, BUT, as pretty as it was, I couldn't get on with it at all, neither could the chap that bought it from me.

I used it live once, but couldn't get any kind of sound I was happy with, it was very middy sounding, no top end at all, no punch, and the rest of the band were grimacing at me mid set wanting me to put the Jazz back on, which I did, and hey presto, the bass could be heard again.

Stunning looking bass, I was so happy the day I bought it, but I only kept it a month and away it went, shame.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='701606' date='Jan 5 2010, 02:06 PM']I just jizzed a little.[/quote]
Hope you had some Kleenex to hand!

Cool bass. Don't usually go for that style, but it's definitely got something. Like the black and chrome.

Been having the same conversation with our singer/guitarist as he play's a white falcon and a black jet, he recons i should get one on look's alone. Having said that if they were that good everyone would be playing them and not jazz basses etc.

[quote name='Rayman' post='701668' date='Jan 5 2010, 02:56 PM']I had a Thunderjet identical to the one at the top, it was a work of art, just beautiful, even the Mrs liked it, BUT, as pretty as it was, I couldn't get on with it at all, neither could the chap that bought it from me.

I used it live once, but couldn't get any kind of sound I was happy with, it was very middy sounding, no top end at all, no punch, and the rest of the band were grimacing at me mid set wanting me to put the Jazz back on, which I did, and hey presto, the bass could be heard again.

Stunning looking bass, I was so happy the day I bought it, but I only kept it a month and away it went, shame.[/quote]

I bought this bass from Russ, and was so excited when I got it. It looked brilliant (I had owned a Broadkaster earlier and was unbelievably disappointed with the tone it didnt have, so assumed this must be a shed load better), and when I got it home it played a dream. It was superbly made, and I couldnt wait to try it at band practice. Oh dear, what a massive let down. After all the hype I had read about TV Jones pickups and the "thunderous" tone this bass was supposed to have, it was awful. The only way I could get any life at all into the tone was to hammer the strings with a pick, which isnt how I play. I nearly cried.

It lived in its case under the bed for a while, and every so often I would take it out, admire it, play it, go through the whole huge disappointment thing then put it away again. I sold it in the end to a chap who loves it (I can only guess he doesnt play in a band like mine), and thats a happy ending, but what do Gretsch think making instruments as beautiful as this (and my Broadkaster was super cool as well) that sound like cardboard cut-outs? Its really beyond me.

I know exactly what Russ means, and totally agree with him.

Bob

I have a Gretsch guitar and out of all my gear it is the one instrument that friends comment on when they see my collection - over 70s instruments and custom made instruments. I'd love a Gretsch hollowbody bass but I doubt it'd ever happen for me.

[quote name='chris_b' post='701841' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:37 PM']In my opinion, as it was the bass of choice for the Monkees, not cool at all!![/quote]

I'd argue it was cool precisely for that reason! :)