Why become a member? ×

Bit of a moan...

tredders

Hi all

Sitting here, full of cold, feeling sorry for myself and feeling totally cheesed off with a couple of new members on Sales Corner. If you don't want to listen to me whining, please move on right now :)

Ok then, I've had my AV 62 P bass on sales corner for a week or so. I had a few trade offers from long standing members, but really needed cash, so kept it up for sale.

First experience: New member number 1 (no names, no pack drill) sends a PM saying "If you'll deliver to the Netherlands, I'll take it". Well, it just so happened that I had a meeting with one of my Dutch colleagues that week, and after I'd had a word with him, he agreed to carry the bass back to the Netherlands, as co-incidentally lived 20 minutes from the prospective buyer. Ideal, you'd have thought. Saves on P&P and also we both get the reassurance that the bass will reach the buyer in one piece. New buyer then asks if I'll do cash on delivery, and I tell him that it'll have to be payment up front (bank transfer), as it'll be a pain for me to get the bass back from the Netherlands if the buyer changes his mind. Buyer has apparently had "bad experiences" paying up front, but I offer several references from people I've dealt with here, my home and work addresses and phone numbers, and a reassurance that I'll offer a 100% refund if he's not totally happy. Couple of days pass (during which time I've had a couple of other enquiries on the bass, but have said that it's most likely sold), and the next reply asks if I'll do Paypal. I reply saying that I'd prefer Bank Transfer (as I'd previously stated) as it gives both of us more protection than Paypal, which can be reversed after the event. However, I tell the buyer that as a last resort I'll accept Paypal, but it'll have to be as a gift (so the buyer picks up the fees). Buyer replies "I've had bad experience with bank transfers, so want to pay with Paypal"... Ok then, add on the fees and we'll have a deal. Buyer then replies "well, I'll have to take a look at the fees and get back to you". That was a week ago and the last I heard. So much for "if you'll deliver to the Netherlands I'll take it"...

Second experience: New member number 2 (again, mentioning no names) sends a PM saying "I'll take the bass - I saw your advert and joined up just to reply to you". So, we talk on the phone, he lives in London, I answer all of his questions, and he says that he'll drive up from London (I offered to meet half way) and will bring up cash this morning. Great. I text him this morning to say that the roads are clear, and ask what time he'll be arriving, and get no reply. I then call his mobile and get his voice mail. Eventually at 10:00 I receive a text saying "I've had a think about it, and can't afford it. Sorry about that. Merry Christmas". Sigh.

That's it really. Absolutely no real point to this post, other than to make me feel better after getting this off my chest. I'll go back to my Lemsip and generally being a bit grumpy now.

Mark.

[quote]"Hell is Other People" - [i]Jean Paul Sartre[/i][/quote]

Sorry to hear of your experiences. I'm constantly amazed that the human race has evolved as far as it has.

Imagine if a billion years ago two amphibians evolved an opposable thumb and one of them turned round and said "Oh, I've changed my mind, [i]I'm[/i] going back in the water."

Edited by skankdelvar

It's a sign of the times I guess. People want stuff and fire off a PM, then sit and think and realise that theu can't actually afford it.

I'm selling my Sei 6 string in the 'for sale section''. I've had someone offer me a bass that I sold them 6 months ago plus cash coming to a total of half the value of my bass.

I think you just have to accept that selling nowadays is sometimes a long process.

Depressing reading, sad to hear more woes of this nature - I think its an anonnymity thing associated with modern culture of internet, forums and texting - you can promise all you want to someone you don't know and you don't face the moral consequences of letting them down. Maybe if all transactions were in person, face to face, there would be a lot less chance of someone over-committing to you as a potential buyer and then backing down in front of you if they change their mind. Mind you, some people are so self-centred they never see to give a 54!7 about other people or letting them down even face-to-face. Best avoid once encountered. Good luck with your sale, and keep the moral high ground - don't let the chavs pull you down to their levels.

Sorry to hear that. I've done about 5 or 6 trades / sales through this site this year and thankfully they all went super smoothly. I hope you have more luck in the future. I do think most transactions on here end happily but there have been a couple of posts where things have been less successful. Generally though I think things tend to go better than the experiences you've had

Thanks for the comments chaps. I should have added that I've bought and sold 5 or 6 basses in the last 12 months on here, all without any problems at all, and all with good people.

I guess I was more moaning about dealing with new members who maybe don't have the same mindset as the longer standing members on here.

Anyway, I feel better for getting it off my chest now :)

I have bought and sold over a dozen basses on BC (to my shame) and - bar a few "I'll definitely have this when I get paid" merchants and some annoying ultra-lowball offers - I have had almost uniformly good experiences.

Your bass is a beaut and is priced well - it will sell, its just the wrong time of year (witness the as-new Jazz I have been trying to sell for £200-plus less than retail with no success)

Edited by Clarky

I'm up for a bit of a moan now & then, lol.

I've traded, bought & sold a lot of basses and amps/cabs over the past couple of years and pretty much every deal has gone smoothly.

However one recent 'trend' I've noticed concerns some overseas buyers. Now, before anyone accuses me of jingoism, I need to say that I've had some very successful trades and deals with people in Europe & the USA so this isn't a general moan against overseas deals.

The issue I've come up against recently is mostly from European buyers who want to take advantage of the strength of the Euro to pick up a good deal on Uk stuff. Again I have nothing wrong with this at all - I've done exactly the same when buying from the USA.

The problems I've encountered have arisen when someone in Europe wants to offer a trade deal. They are happy to accept my valuation of my bass based in the UK but then insist on valuaing their trade bass within a Euro economy. This happened several times now and a couple of people have got quite stroppy because I won't accept a valuation of something that's maybe 50% higher than it would be worth in the UK.

I had one example recently where someone valued quite a common bass at £500 more than several examples had been advertised for here on BC. He kept saying he could easily get this price for it in his country - I, politely, pointed out that he'd be better off selling it locally then and simply buying my bass for cash but he then said there weren't many buyers locally!

Ok that's it, moan over. Not really a big deal, just that I've wasted a fair bit of time going round in circles to ne effect, lol.

Only time I've done business on here it was a winner, when Lemmywinks sold me a bass no issues.

That said, 75% of the time selling or buying stuff on the internet is a ballache. In a sense I've found it easier dealing with people directly as opposed to going through a certain popular auction site, but ultimately you still encounter the same issues:

Selling:
- You've priced the item at £1,000 - The buyer offers you £600, thinking you'll accept because it's cash.
- You've stated you'd consider trades for a Fender Jazz or Precision dated 61-64. The buyer offers you an accordeon.
- Your ad describes the item in painstaking detail down to the last speck of dust. The buyer arrives and turns down the sale claiming the item isn't as advertised.
- The buyer guarantees he'll take it, then disappears off the face of the Earth (happened to me last week).
- The buyer says he won't use any of the six payment methods you've suggested due to "bad experiences", leaving either CoD or carrier pigeon.
- And most infuriating, you agree on a price, but when the buyer arrives he starts trying to haggle again.

Buying:
- The seller has offered first refusal to twelve other people but posted the for sale ad as a "feeler" in case all twelve pull out.
- The seller apparently lives on a different astral plane from any known post office, and will only deliver within a five-yard radius of his front doorstep.
- The seller is no longer sure if he still wants to sell the item, so puts up the price to find out how much you really want the item.
- The seller doesn't put up a sale price, hoping for a bidding war, so puts your market-value offer on hold while he waits for someone to offer more.
- You manage to agree on a deal, so you pass on everything else you were looking at... Then the seller decides he actually wants to keep his precious little whatever.

Yeah its a nightmare when people just mess you around after you hold on to Items for them, had an experience like that myself very recently, unforetunately there are a lot of time wasters!

+1 on the having and feeling sorry for yourself thing! I'm here drinking umpteen Lemsip hot blackcurrants and i have pretty much destroyed 3 packs of Halls Soothers....

Bad times!

Sometimes it can't be helped, things happen you don't bargain for-a while ago I had to back out of a deal. Agreed to buy a bass, had cash waiting, was just sorting out postage details-then the car broke down, and all the money set aside for the bass had to go on that. Had no choice but to apologise and pull out. Don't think the chap was too impressed, never replied to my apologetic PM, but I genuinely agreed to buy it in good faith, and was unable to proceed. I know some pillocks really don't mind who they muck about, but sometimes sh*t happens.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='689707' date='Dec 20 2009, 01:14 PM']Just for the record, Hall Soothers have no active ingredents they are just sweets, get some Locketts[/quote]

Just for the record Lockets don't come in Cherry Flavour. Lemsips make me better, Hall soothers just taste nice.

[quote name='tredders' post='689579' date='Dec 20 2009, 10:43 AM']Second experience: New member number 2 (again, mentioning no names) sends a PM saying "I'll take the bass - I saw your advert and joined up just to reply to you".[/quote]
As the more observant reader might already know, I'm currently selling (or attempting to) a nice old MIJ P copy - I had a PM from a new member stating this exact same thing, only difference being that said new member claimed to be female. Needless to say, she didn't buy it. Odd coincidence, though. I've also had masses of interest in the bass, but so far no firm offers - I think it's a time-of-year thing in this instance.

That said, pretty much everything I've sold on here has had its share of almost-sales - it doesn't wind me up at all, & just goes with the territory of the For Sale board being GAS Central, where everyone wants everything. Sales might not happen as quickly as one might prefer, but for me the bottom line is that I'm far happier selling here than EBay, which remains the only viable alternative. I would probably get a few quid more for some sales, but the whole experience of using ThiefBay as a seller has become so thoroughly unpleasant that I'd sooner avoid it where possible.

Jon.

[quote name='tredders' post='689579' date='Dec 20 2009, 10:43 AM']Second experience: New member number 2 (again, mentioning no names) sends a PM saying "I'll take the bass - I saw your advert and joined up just to reply to you". So, we talk on the phone, he lives in London, I answer all of his questions, and he says that he'll drive up from London (I offered to meet half way) and will bring up cash this morning. Great. I text him this morning to say that the roads are clear, and ask what time he'll be arriving, and get no reply. I then call his mobile and get his voice mail. Eventually at 10:00 I receive a text saying "I've had a think about it, and can't afford it. Sorry about that. Merry Christmas". Sigh.

Mark.[/quote]

Sounds very familiar does this. That's all I'm saying :)

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='689729' date='Dec 20 2009, 01:45 PM']Sometimes it can't be helped, things happen you don't bargain for. I know some pillocks really don't mind who they muck about, but sometimes sh*t happens.[/quote]

You can say that again; just happened to me!

Nothing like a good moan - we all know exactly how you feel!

But...my experiences here have been about 90% fantastic and even the bad ones have been sorted out in a sensible manner. It really helps that most members here actaully know what they are talking about and don't just quote "retail" or ebay values without question.

I avoid shipping basses unless I have a very good hard case, and I rarely send stuff beyond the UK. I hate paying Paypal fees. If possible I meet up with buyers/sellers.

Most annoying experiences were: 1) a "boutique" USA amp head that sounded great but hummed like a bee (nothing wrong with it..just the way it was built) 2) agreeing to buy something, then seeing it re-advertised on ebay. Not really bad experiences, just life.

No doubt the economics and the season are causing more problems than usual. I'm not selling one or two things because I just don't think I'd get a decent price, but I can move them on later. In the meantime I'll carry on using them.

Remember - there's always Ebay!

Yup, had this happen too...although the buyer in question didn't get in touch and caused me to waste an hours lunch break and get a parking ticket in the process!

That said, overall my deals on here have gone very well and I've met some lovely people. Thankfully, the good outweigh the bad!

Dudes,

Despite the odd cock-up, it's pretty good doing deals/trades here. Also, let's not bash new members 'cos we were all new members once, and I doubt there's a real link between duration of membership and ability to f*** up a transaction (let's face it, there's some pretty dodgy long-term members here after all).

Some of you may have noticed that I've bought and sold a few things here over the years, and trust me, despite some minor issues, I'd far rather do things through BC than through ebay, despite the alleged protection ebay/Paypal offer.

C

I have to admit I've responded to a few 'items wanted' only to find it a waste of time. Someone was looking for a Variax bass recently. I have a mate who was up for selling one. The buyer didn't state how much he wanted to pay. I messed my mate about.

Others have said they haven't got the money together, are just thinking about it, etc.

So why post something in the first place?