Why become a member? ×

Them Crooked Vultures - BBC2 last Friday

Bass Culture

Accidentally caught Them Crooked Vultures after 'Later' last Friday and didn't turned over as a friend had coincidentally mentioned them during the day. I thought I'd give them a go because she'd mentioend the Queens of the Stone Age connection. Sat back with my glass of red wine, wifey having gone to bed, and was suddenly confronted not only by Dave Grohl on drums but John Paul Jones playing bass. Absolutely f**king brilliant! The playing was incredible and JPJ proceeded to swap between a variety of Manson mulit-string basses - which all sounded fantastic. These two made for one of the best rhythm sections I've heard in years. Just goes to show what a natural fit Grohl would have been for the Zeppelin reunion gigs. Was too slow off the mark to record it but I was in heaven for the half an hur or so it was on. Anyone else catch it?

Can't say I was overly impressed. Its not that it was bad, it just seemed a bit Queens of the Stonage-lite. Really, why not just call it Queens of the Stoneage since it is based around a revolving door of musicians? That said I support most of Josh Homme's musical decisions/directions and I always prefer Dave Grohl behind a kit than behind a mic. Will probably give the album a shot at least before I form a concrete opinion.

I f**king love the album.

Although, as thodrik rightly points out, it is very similar to QOTSA (this might have something to do with it being recording at Homme's studio, mixed partly by him, and includes his recognisable guitar and vocal style), some areas of the album are straight out of the mind of JPJ. For example the big riffs in 'No One Loves Me...' and 'Elephants' sound like their taken right off his solo album Zooma. Also songs like 'Reptiles' and to some extent 'Warsaw...' just scream Led Zep.

After giving the album a few listens, you can really hear the tightness of the rhythm section. My only real gripe is that JPJ's bass is just a little too low in the mix. I would have thought they'd give him a little more sonic space - after all this is the man behind Kashmir and Black Dog!

By the way, if you're into vinyl, this album really lends itself to being spun. My LP verses a 320 kbs rip is much warmer and generally more musically enjoyable!

[quote name='Pearl_Jammin' post='661777' date='Nov 22 2009, 02:00 PM']By the way, if you're into vinyl, this album really lends itself to being spun. My LP verses a 320 kbs rip is much warmer and generally more musically enjoyable![/quote]

I love my vinyl - appreciate the advice.

I agree about the Queens of the Stone Age comments; the same would apply to the Eagles of Death Metal too, I guess. None of which, of course, makes any of them bad and it does it helps to distinguish between the various musicians involved!

Thanks for the heads up!

The only thing I would say was that live Josh Homme's vocals were really weedy. I trust they are a bit more impactful on the album versions?

Can I also say that I don't think that Grohl would have been right for the Led Zep reunion - his timing is far too "modern".

[quote name='BigRedX' post='661799' date='Nov 22 2009, 02:26 PM']Thanks for the heads up!

The only thing I would say was that live Josh Homme's vocals were really weedy. I trust they are a bit more impactful on the album versions?

Can I also say that I don't think that Grohl would have been right for the Led Zep reunion - his timing is far too "modern".[/quote]

Homme knows how to deliver his voice to give it some authority on record. While he's not the strongest singer, he comes through well on the album.

And I agree on the Grohl/Led Zep comment. Mostly because Jason Bonham is the man and most agree (there were always going to be critics...) that he absolutely killed it at the O2 arena.

However on the TCV album, Grohl's drums have been produced to sound BIG, Bonham style. Listen to the contrast between his drum sound on Songs for the Deaf and TCV and you will immediately hear that they have tried to make that rhythm section sound as 'Led Zep' as possible.

Edited by Pearl_Jammin

Quite liking the TCV album. Definitely some JPJ influence there
Yes, it is very QOTSA-esque.
But with the amount of Kyuss and QOTSA in my collection, that's no bad thing.

Yes, Grohl's delivery is "Modern" but as also mentioned, super tight.
Check out "No-one knows" (From Songs For The Deaf) Live at the Troubadour for Grohl, Homme and Olivieri tearing it up.

That said, when I saw QOTSA (on their first uk tour) Alfredo Hernandez was drumming, and they were excellent as well.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

I caught this by accident, didn't have a clue who they were. For a while I thought the bass player looked a lot like JPJ, but that it's a shame he couldn't play like him. Then I realised it was him...

Loved JPJ in Zepplin, but to be honest I wouldn't cross the road to watch this lot. Having said that I bought Zooma when it came out and was stunned at how incredibly crap it was. Maybe it's just me?

As much as JPJ probably loved playing with Bonham, you can't expect him to find Bonham clones to pair up with every time he plays surely. Grohl is a great drummer, and I'm sure JPJ enjoys the different style regardless of the drummer he plays with. I listened to a bit of the Youtube clips and it's very QOTSA but then it's going to be isn't it? However, I think the bass is very Zep'ish. Funny that !

I [i]reeeeeaaally[/i] want to like TCV, but from what I've heard so far I'm underwhelmed. I fealt the same about the recent band with Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony and Satch, forget the name, forgot the album already it was so dull.

I heard the album the other day. I really loved "songs for the deaf" and was hoping some of that was down to Grohl influencing Homme, but apparently not as this just sounds like QOTSA to me, and not proper hard rocking QOTSA, the more recent sort of sound like lullabies to paralyse (sp?).

Also, IMO his voice sounds quite a lot different. You can tell it's Homme but it seems really different to before.

It's well produced and some riffs are good but it's a little boring. I'll give it another few goes.