Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller for Jazz £4600!!!!

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='660347' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:14 PM']WOW..now this is a Marcus Miller jazz..never seen a CS go for this much..do they mean only 10 made..?

this has got to be good!!!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_marcus_miller_iv_master_built.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_marcus_mil...aster_built.htm[/url][/quote]

IIRC there are two categories of Fender Custom Shop stuff. Team built and Master built. The latter is individually handmade by one of Fenders "Master" luthiers. So this will be one of 10 handbuilt Custom Shop pieces - hence the eyewatering price.

Whether its worth more than four times a normal Marcus Miller is another matter.....

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='bubinga5' post='660347' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:14 PM']WOW..now this is a Marcus Miller jazz..never seen a CS go for this much..do they mean only 10 made..?

[b]this has got to be good!!![/b][/quote]
Mmm. It's a Fender so that's not a given, even at this price!

Do they do MIM Millers?
I thought they were American or Japanese, never really paid them much attention.

To be fair to the custom shop/masterbuilt Fenders, I think part of the glory of owning one of them is that you own an almost one off piece by a company that largely deals in hundreds of thousands of units. Luthiers like Shuker etc are renowned for one off pieces, so that almost devalues it, if you get my meaning.

This is of course a very steep price for ANY bass imo, when I was looking at Custom Shops, I was looking at prices that equated to just over a quarter of this MM, and although I'm a massive Fender fan, I don't believe they've ever made a decent preamp.

Si

[quote name='purpleblob' post='660497' date='Nov 20 2009, 07:53 PM']Wow, that's expensive !

It must be due to the exotic woods used - umm no, Ash and maple. Must be the 24 carat gold h/w, umm no. The pre-amp, umm no. Well I'm stumped, do I get Marcus Miller with it ? :)[/quote]

hmmm maybe its built by Marcus?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='660383' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:35 PM']i wonder how good a jazz bass mr shuker or some other respected luthier would be able to make for that much?[/quote]

Problem is that the best bass that a very good/brilliant luthier could make would still cost a lot less than this and they'd not be able to justify a higher price tag. HOWEVER because this 'is' Fender Masterbuild then they can charge wtf they like. Truth be told Fender couldn't possibly justify that price tag for the component parts, even inc' the wages for a Master [s]Screwer-together[/s] I mean builder. :rolleyes: but as long as there is demand there will be supply at these prices. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='660514' date='Nov 20 2009, 08:07 PM']HOWEVER because this 'is' Fender Masterbuild then they can charge wtf they like. Truth be told Fender couldn't possibly justify that price tag for the component parts, even inc' the wages for a Master [s]Screwer-together[/s] I mean builder. :)[/quote]

Surely this also includes similar 'builders' such as Lakland that, although using great woods, are just mass produced bodies being 'screwed together' :rolleyes:
And if we assume that master builders at Fender are making the basses by hand then 'screwing them together', then guys like Coppola are charging the same amount of money for the same prank :lol:.

Si

If I was after a Marcus Miller sound and prepared to spend big bucks, I'd still go for the bass I posted about here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67526&st=0&p=655529&#entry655529"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry655529[/url]

Its a Celinder J5 Miller Tribute

Edited by Platypus

[quote name='Sibob' post='660522' date='Nov 20 2009, 08:29 PM']Surely this also includes similar 'builders' such as Lakland that, although using great woods, are just mass produced bodies being 'screwed together' :)
And if we assume that master builders at Fender are making the basses by hand then 'screwing them together', then guys like Coppola are charging the same amount of money for the same prank :rolleyes:.

Si[/quote]

Agreed! :lol:

Youch.

From what I know the Masterbuilt ones ARE completely handmand as far as possible, I think the only things pre-made are the bridge and tuners etc. Pups are handwound if the Fender website is to be believed. Obviously built using the best cuts of wood they can find etc..

However, is it £4600 good for what is essentially a standard Jazz with a modified scratchplate and a preamp chucked in...No. Not when you consider even the most expensive individual luthiers would probably be able to put one out for £1500-£2000 methinks.

The Fender name on the headstock isn't worth £2000, not as a player's bass.

I think these really are collectors basses.

I'd want the Fender masterbuilder to build the bl**dy thing in my living room before my very eyes for that price.

Lets face it, down at the Dog and Duck on a Saturday night with all the bladdered punters shouting and balling over the band you would never be able to tell the difference in sound between this one and a stock MM Jazz.

[quote name='Johngh' post='660677' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:06 AM']Lets face it, down at the Dog and Duck on a Saturday night with all the bladdered punters shouting and balling over the band you would never be able to tell the difference in sound between this one and a stock MM Jazz.[/quote]

Lets be honest most of the punters down the local couldn't tell the difference (audible or visual) between a Fender and a Gibson, never mind a Masterbuild and an off the shelf MM. :)