Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller for Jazz £4600!!!!

bubinga5

The MM IV is indeed Japanese made with the V made in the US.

If this 'Masterbuilt' (there's been opinions voiced before whether this means built by one 'master builder' or a master builder overseeing some guys) has the standard pre I'd have some reservations however well it's made, especially for £4,600

IMO, there are two types of basses and some 'expensive' basses are still blocks of wood and look and feel it.
I don't say that you have to spend that sort of money for a bass, but when you get a very well made one, you just know.

I am pretty sure that people like Martin Petersen can make you a far better bass for less money.

This MM is one for the investors IMO.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='660638' date='Nov 20 2009, 11:14 PM']Be gone foul beast, the end of thy exile is yet 6 months hence... how's the tennis coming along by the way? :)[/quote]

ha ha.....very shakepearian !!

Tennis is going great...... lost 3 stone !!!

made the tennis easier - LOL

ATB
Mark

[quote name='Marcus' post='661091' date='Nov 21 2009, 03:29 PM']ha ha.....very shakepearian !!

Tennis is going great...... lost 3 stone !!!

made the tennis easier - LOL

ATB
Mark[/quote]

Is that 3 stone or 3 'stones' as in half bricks in your pockets? Either way that's some going mate, good on ya! Watch it though, when you get down to racing snake size like me you'll be needing lightweight gear. :)

Catch you around soon.

I'd be willing to bet that even if 'selected' woods are used then the cutting is still done using CNC machines.

So the skills involved in 'every so masterfullike' assembling the simple construction CNC'd items compared to say a real builder cutting and shaping the complete body and neck by hand, fitting body facings, headstock facings and shaping neck pockets etc is like comparing Picasso to a painter and decorator.

AND then they go and charge so much more for it. Big 'F', a license to print money?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='661213' date='Nov 21 2009, 06:14 PM']I'd be willing to bet that even if 'selected' woods are used then the cutting is still done using CNC machines.

So the skills involved in 'every so masterfullike' assembling the simple construction CNC'd items compared to say a real builder cutting and shaping the complete body and neck by hand, fitting body facings, headstock facings and shaping neck pockets etc is like comparing Picasso to a painter and decorator.

AND then they go and charge so much more for it. Big 'F', a license to print money?[/quote]

Just a good example of how capitalism works. Nowt wrong with that.

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='662221' date='Nov 22 2009, 10:50 PM']the question what u would get for 4600 pounds or 5000 euros me definately not a fender[/quote]
Probably a Vigier Passion S2 IV and a Ken Smith VI plus a fair bit of beer money.
Alternatively, you could probably rent the real Marcus Miller himself for a night for that money!!

• 10 months later...

Hello everybody! I know the discussion is since November 2009 but i want you know about the Marcus Miller Master Built :

This bass sound AMAZING actif, passif it's very very AMAZING, i looked this bass since 2009 in France, and said my Reuissue 75 US + good sadowsky, or bartolini preamp will sound like the Marcus Miller Master Built: No, No, No believe me it's not the same bass

The Marcus Miller Master Built sounding VERY VERY VERY AMAZING. the sound is very easy to produce, and the bass gives you inspiration if you see what i mean; The only question i wonder me is why this bass is so perfect, where, what is the difference between the original bass of Marcus Miller and the others Fender Jazz-bass of the same year; may be Marcus asked the luthiers, among them R Sadowsky, to do "specials stuffs" for him; i heard, saw him said that his bass his not perfect but it's HIS BASS (Special sound !?);

The Marcus Miller Master Built Jazz-bass i tried in France is closer to the real Marcus Miller Jazz-bass sound no doubt !!!

YES IT'S A COLLECTOR BASS IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO GET ONE, TRY THE BASS AND GET IT !

DanyDAN

Well, at least it has a Badass!

I'm sure its a great bass, for the collectors obviously. For £4600 I would probably want my dream bass though, rather than Marcus Miller's. I tried one of the Japanese (I think they were anyway) models a while ago though, and was fairly impressed. This was before I had tried Sandbergs and Sadowskys though, I'm guessing that if I tried one again, my opinion of the Fender eq circuit wouldn't be as high as it was then.

[quote name='thodrik' post='986222' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:50 PM']Well, at least it has a Badass!

I'm sure its a great bass, for the collectors obviously. For £4600 I would probably want my dream bass though, rather than Marcus Miller's. I tried one of the Japanese (I think they were anyway) models a while ago though, and was fairly impressed. This was before I had tried Sandbergs and Sadowskys though, I'm guessing that if I tried one again, my opinion of the Fender eq circuit wouldn't be as high as it was then.[/quote]
Euh !! it's not a Fender preamp inside; the preamp is important ok, but before the preamp the wood and the built is amazing; the built quality of this bass is closer of a Sadowsky US and the sound too in his own way (Fender way but in my opinion you can sound it in your own way, like Marcus Miller does)

[quote name='danydan' post='986247' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:11 PM']Euh !! it's not a Fender preamp inside; the preamp is important ok, but before the preamp the wood and the built is amazing; the built quality of this bass is closer of a Sadowsky US and the sound too in his own way (Fender way but in my opinion you can sound it in your own way, like Marcus Miller does)[/quote]

Umm, okay? I was commenting on Fender eq circuits in general, not on this custom model, which I never really been totally sold on compared to other campanies. I'm sure its an amazing bass that I could make to sound in my own way, but for that money I would be more likely to buy a bass built to my own specifications, rather than to Marcus Miller's, or failing that buy a genuine 1970s jazz, fit a badass on it and insert a Sadowsky preamp. That just me though, I'm just against having someone else's name on 'my' instrument, other than the person that built it. To me it just says that I'm either just copying or following in someone else's footsteps and that whatever I do in music, I'll never be as good as the person whose name is on the bass. I know that is total rubbish, but it is the way that my warped mind thinks. Obviously, I'm not the market that this bass is aimed for.

[quote name='thodrik' post='986837' date='Oct 13 2010, 12:29 PM']Umm, okay? I was commenting on Fender eq circuits in general, not on this custom model, which I never really been totally sold on compared to other campanies. I'm sure its an amazing bass that I could make to sound in my own way, but for that money I would be more likely to buy a bass built to my own specifications, rather than to Marcus Miller's, or failing that buy a genuine 1970s jazz, fit a badass on it and insert a Sadowsky preamp. That just me though, I'm just against having someone else's name on 'my' instrument, other than the person that built it. To me it just says that I'm either just copying or following in someone else's footsteps and that whatever I do in music, I'll never be as good as the person whose name is on the bass. I know that is total rubbish, but it is the way that my warped mind thinks. Obviously, I'm not the market that this bass is aimed for.[/quote]

If the Alembic mark king sig had humpty dumpty on the headstock i really would not give a hoot! :)

[quote name='thodrik' post='986919' date='Oct 13 2010, 01:26 PM']Hence my warped mind![/quote]

But the funny thing was just this very morning i was talking to a freind about a sting signiture bass, and he said the same thing you did. It has a name on it he would not buy it. I think if its a bass thats for me, i really would not care.

i wonder did they sell all ten pieces? probably they did. but, i couldn't but to remember me putting this great bass once here for sale - an "original Marcus Miller prototype", all orig. 76/77 (neck/body and pots) Fender jazz and asking 1800 pounds and everyone were like "too much you asking,matey!"

I bought my RBXJM1 because it was the only six string RBX I could find in Turquoise! I don't really mind that it's got "John Myung" on the headstock, it's still a great bass and besides, it was cheap for a sig. bass too.

But yeah, if I was gonna spend four grand on something, it wouldn't be a sig. I could order my very own unique Shuker or GB for that.

Truckstop

[quote name='thodrik' post='986837' date='Oct 13 2010, 01:29 PM']Umm, okay? I was commenting on Fender eq circuits in general, not on this custom model, which I never really been totally sold on compared to other campanies. I'm sure its an amazing bass that I could make to sound in my own way, but for that money I would be more likely to buy a bass built to my own specifications, rather than to Marcus Miller's, or failing that buy a genuine 1970s jazz, fit a badass on it and insert a Sadowsky preamp. That just me though, I'm just against having someone else's name on 'my' instrument, other than the person that built it. To me it just says that I'm either just copying or following in someone else's footsteps and that whatever I do in music, I'll never be as good as the person whose name is on the bass. I know that is total rubbish, but it is the way that my warped mind thinks. Obviously, I'm not the market that this bass is aimed for.[/quote]Hello Thodrick, i think in your way generally, so i really understand what you mean... I just speak about this MM master built because i try it and i can say it's a real very good bass, and try to say people who can, buy it because it' will be a collector bass. I win anything to say that

Keep on groovin'
:-)

[quote name='danydan' post='988756' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:30 AM']Hello Thodrick, i think in your way generally, so i really understand what you mean... I just speak about this MM master built because i try it and i can say it's a real very good bass, and try to say people who can, buy it because it' will be a collector bass. I win anything to say that

Keep on groovin'
:-)[/quote]

I have no doubts that it would be an exceptional bass and a collectors item, and that anyone who wants to buy it would not regret doing so.