Why become a member? ×

Looking for 500 watt bass head soon

buff

[quote name='buff' post='652581' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:02 PM']Have tried a ashdown abm 500 head which i liked the sound of, im also keen on the peavey tour 450 head and the hartke lh500. Anyone had any experience with any of these heads ? Budget is about £450.[/quote]

if you're going down the solid state route you may want to consider the gallien krueger 700rb 480w..it's a little bit more expensive though. i have the 1001rb and it's a beast!

Forgot the other thing is its got to be repairable, my local amp tec shook his head a while back when i mentioned G&K. Had a little 250watt G&K back in the mid 90's and loved it. Not sure if its down to digital stuff or printed circuits thats the problem.

[quote name='buff' post='653230' date='Nov 12 2009, 11:51 PM']Its a good price, not really up on ashdown stuff to know if there's much differance between the mag stuff and the abm heads ?[/quote]

ABM has a valve pre in it - MAG is solid state all round. Get the abm500 it's lovely. I've got a klystron500. Love the sound and has all the built in effects that I need.

That said, with my recurring hernia problem :) , I do wonder whether I should have got a nice lightweight LMII - which sounds great too - but very clean!

• 3 weeks later...

LH500 - best choice if you want a simple crisp sound!!!
loads of grunt, loads of volume to grunt
really simple use, basically just plug in and go, no fiddling with eq knobs and that stuff

Got my recommendation to anyone who needs a 500 watt amp for less than £450

(haha, I got mine when it was £180, cos I got it last christmas - though it was a gamble then)

[quote name='Merton' post='652589' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:08 PM']The Hartke LH500 is a fabulous head, dead simple to use and dead easy to get a great tone from. And it's perfectly powerful for almost anything you'll need :-)[/quote]
+1. Really pleased with mine. It's an antidote to over-complicated amp heads.

[quote name='crez5150' post='652611' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:23 PM']try the GK MB2..... outstanding![/quote]
+1 for the GK MB2 - had mine for a few months now. Very happy with it, and I can push the full 500w into my EBS 4x10 cab (which is nice :) ). Add a slight amount of grit courtesy of the SansAmp, and you've got a killer combination.

Very easy to dial in a tone, EQ is pretty good, contour filter is a nice touch.

Anyway, there's lot to choose from at that price point (I paid a smidge over 500 notes for the GK) - LM3, Shuttle 6.0, the new Orange Bass Terror 500, TC RH450, plus I'm sure if you try first, you can pick up a bargain second-hand (lots of LM2s come up for sale). Give Darren at Bass Merchant a call.

Anyway, hope this helps

Ian

I recently tried the Peavey Tour 450 (not bad at all), Hartke LH500 (nice sounds but heavy and the shop I was in had a few back), the Markbass LM3 (didn't like it but not sure why) and the Orange Bass Terror.

The Orange TOTALLY destroyed the others for me, BUT it's not going to be to everyone's taste.