Why become a member? ×

Looking for 500 watt bass head soon

buff

The Tour 450 has been on my wishlist for a while, but I came across the LH500 recently, and I like the idea of minimal controls on an amp - my basses have tone controls, I have a Hartke VXL Bass Attack, and I'll have an Aphex Punch Factory and Bass Xciter, so I already have more than enough potential to muck up my tone, without having more on my amp.

Even at the new price, the LH500 still seems like a good deal, specially if it is a competitor of the Tour 450, etc. Owners seem to like them, and Hartke are a big name.

Where do the Warwick ProFet 3.3 and 5.2 feature in these comparisons?

Mark

Having heard and tried a lot of 500 watt(ish) solid state heads in the past few years, I came down in favour of an Epifani ul502. If you can stretch the budget a bit, they come up on here (Basschat classifieds) occasionaly at around £650. The tone can be very hi-fi, but the amps not a one trick pony - there's plenty of power and grunt, with tons of headroom - partnered with the right cab (a good 4x10 or 8x10), the 502 makes a very good funk or rock amp

• 5 weeks later...

Having got my troublesome Marshall gear returned I've ended up going for a Peavey Tour 450 head with a hartke 4x10 (XL) cab. I need to get up and running again with some gigs next week and I hunted for a hartke LH500 head but they seem to be in short supply everywhere with Korg not being able to ship any units out to the retailers till after the end of Jan. Some places have them on back order since November. The LH500 seems to get a lot of respect on this forum, but I can't wait till Feb to replace my gear. The peavey has a lot more tonal flexibility (I do like to have a full eq section to play with, plus low and hi boost as well as the octaver button, also the pre-and post-gain sections that the LH500 lacks). It's also a little bit cheaper. And it's available now.