Why become a member? ×

Distance to rehearsals...

3V17C

New band so rehearsals are a must. The most anyone has to drive is 35mins so we position the rehearsal in the middle of the group.

I would have hoped that the pick-up of the songs would be more natural but it isn't so we need t do this. Hopefully, that is because the unit is getting to know each other.

It helps if everyone has a working attitude of getting the jist of the songs more than sorted so we can maximise the time rather than running through chords charts and stops etc etc and pretty well learning the thing from scratch.

You have to enjoy it though... it can be a PITA if it isn't working on any level.

I have to drive from brighton to near bath and back every week to rehearse. its a 350 mile round trip which takes about 3 hours each way! It is a bit of a chore, especially today trying to navigate the m25 in torrential rain in the dark, couldn't see a thing! gives me plenty of time to think about stuff thats for sure!

I go downstairs to the basement. That's 26 paces including the steps.

A few years ago in a previous band I was doing the 110-mile weekly roundtrip. I have happy memories of sitting on my own in the practice room, watching the money tick away for an hour or more, waiting for the lazy bastard guitarist & drummer to struggle their half-mile marathon from their squalid hovels.

These days though, it often seems to be too much effort for a different pair of lazy bastards to manage to make a weekly free rehearsal. What's wrong with these people?

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

Usually a 90 miles round trip to Doncaster and back...Normally takes just over an hour each way, but can be quite a bit longer if the traffic is bad.

Long distances aren't a problem as long as people in whatever band it happens to be are pulling their weight and getting the work done...All too often, that doesn't seem to happen though, so I tend to have a few different bands on the go at once! For some reason, they're rarely local!

Edited by jonny-lad

I live in Winchester and for years I've worked almost exclusively with Brighton based musicians, not deliberate, just worked out that way. With Red Jackson that's not a problem - we don't rehearse: any new material gets worked over in the street in a quiet busking moment (usually first song of the first set) if it's a tricky one; if it's fairly straightforward, familiar or easily described we'll just launch into it. This has the advantage of seeing straightaway whether or not it works (does it make any money?). If not we'll probably ditch it.

However, when I joined The Ukes of Hazzard I found 3 very gregarious, friendly people who love to get together every week and drink wine, chat and play a few songs. It did start to get a bit much, but they realised this and cut down on the rehearsals I needed to be at: they'd work on their vocal harmonies for a couple of weeks, then I'd come down. They also pay towards my travel expenses. Just recently we've taken a big gap for maternity leave, but back to it in December.

Function band: 30 mins drive, Jazz trio: 30 paces to music room from bedroom.
Have done the long hauls when younger, didn't seem a chore, was just grateful to be playing (plus loads of youthful enthusiasm/energy).
Now very lucky to have things more close to hand.
by the way...does anyone else often enjoy the rehearsing more than the actual performance??.....I love playing live, but I also enjoy the bit about learning chops, seeing everything (mostly) come together, the odd bit of tension about interpreting arrangements??....no?......you're probably right....I'll get me coat...... :)

5 minutes. I try not be late. :)

I used to do a half hour trip from work, with by an hour trip home after. The drummer sometimes didn't turn up, with the dubious excuse that he couldn't leave a patient on the operating table (he was a surgeon). After a while I got really fed up with the driving and then the band split anyway.

[quote name='3V17C' post='651993' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:08 PM']i'm just starting to look around for some new projects but as is the norm its pretty dead round here so am thinking about looking a bit farther afield. only trouble is of course that means more travelling time/petrol etc to and from any rehearsals. i'm incredibly lazy and easily distracted so it'd have to be a very good band for me to travel any serious distance.

so... how far do people here travel for rehearsals.... and does it rapidly get to be a chore?!!

peace

c[/quote]

I know the feeling mate - most of our 'rehearsing and writing' sessions happen in Manchester - Distancewise (about 230-260 miles each way depending on route) , it's a bit of a b@ll@che as you can't just nip round for a cuppa and jam.Also a bit of a drive from sunny Norfolk, but I enjoy driving, so don't mind cracking out some metal in the car and chill out for the duration of the journey. That said, 2/5 of my band live in LA!!! We rehearse and write with those guys over the internet (at the moment). It take a bit to set up - but we use File sharing / Skype and other tools as we are primarily writing at the moment.

[quote name='dood' post='659032' date='Nov 19 2009, 11:10 AM']I know the feeling mate - most of our 'rehearsing and writing' sessions happen in Manchester - Distancewise (about 230-260 miles each way depending on route) , it's a bit of a b@ll@che as you can't just nip round for a cuppa and jam.Also a bit of a drive from sunny Norfolk, but I enjoy driving, so don't mind cracking out some metal in the car and chill out for the duration of the journey. That said, 2/5 of my band live in LA!!! We rehearse and write with those guys over the internet (at the moment). It take a bit to set up - but we use File sharing / Skype and other tools as we are primarily writing at the moment.[/quote]

Being the geek I am Norfolk to LA>> Distance: 5435.3 miles!

When I was a little while ago, usually about 30 mins tops.

However, my wife who works at the local school came home from work yesterday and informed me that the new music studio, which includes recording and rehearsal rooms, is available to hire. A big smile from me. Decent facilities not 5 minutes walk from my house.

[quote name='3V17C' post='651993' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:08 PM']i'm just starting to look around for some new projects but as is the norm its pretty dead round here so am thinking about looking a bit farther afield. only trouble is of course that means more travelling time/petrol etc to and from any rehearsals. i'm incredibly lazy and easily distracted so it'd have to be a very good band for me to travel any serious distance.

so... how far do people here travel for rehearsals.... and does it rapidly get to be a chore?!!

peace

c[/quote]

it's not just the distance. 10-12 miles might not sound too bad, but if it's from Bermondsey to Acton (eg) it means you can't avoid central London which is a major PITA and time waster.

I used to do about 30 miles from South Beds to that London. Should have been easy and taken about 30mins - just straight down the M1 then North Circular - but it was during the roadworks between junction 6-10. Not fun.