Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN: Trade: Fender Fretless Maple Precision

Starless

****** SORRY TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES. I WILL BE HANGING ON TO THE BASS IN THE MEANTIME. ******

I finally have to face reality. I am a Jazz neck kind of guy, so no matter how beautiful this looks hanging on the wall she has to go to make way for a fretless Jazz. I would like to trade if possible (straight swap for the right instrument) rather than get into that nasty money type stuff.

She is a CIJ (02-04) 70's re-issue fretless precision in perfect nick and she looks like this:

If anyone has a similar quality (or better!) fretless Jazz bass along the lines of a '62 re-issue (which is my main fretted bass) then I would be very interested in doing a deal. I'm looking for no lines, no nuthin' up the fingerboard and a natural wood coloured body (sunburst is OK).

I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone out there has a fretless Jazz that they can't get into and would far rather have a P (especially one that looks like this). If not, then I will look at selling after a while.

Edited by Starless

You can't beat a maple board fretless Precision, stunning tone. Given I've had several PMs asking if I'd sell mine you'd probably be better selling yours and giving yourself the freedom of being able to buy a fretless Jazz, the chances of someone with the right Jazz wanting to let it go and wanting a maple fretless Precision at the same time are pretty low
Chris

I have a US Fretless Jazz, rosewood, lined, epoxy board, Black with tort guard, hipshot D tuner, Dimarzio's, lots of wear though which doesn't really show in the pic........I'd be happy to let mine go shame it doesn't fit you requirements :)

[attachment=35646:jazzus_fretless.jpg]

[quote name='pete.young' post='644667' date='Nov 3 2009, 08:19 PM']That's a lovely bass. I can say that secure in the knowledge that I have one that appears to be identical, except that mine has frets.

However, mine also has a jazz-width neck and a fairly solid 'C' profile. What's the width of the nut?[/quote]

She is 41mm at the nut, 57mm at the octave. For reference my 62 Jazz is 38/54. The profiles are virtually identical, but that extra 3mm all the way up the board makes it just a tad on the chunky side for me.

I have had a few messages asking for the weight - just under 5 kilos, and also where I am.... Aberdeen (sorry).... and also an astonishing amount of people offering to buy if I don't manage to get a trade. The stock answer to that at the moment is - let this run for a wee while and if no trade happens, then I will have to look at selling.

But then I have to go find myself an un-lined fretless Jazz in a natural wood colour somewhere....

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='646124' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:39 AM']this is awsome keep it m8 :)[/quote]

I only want to keep instruments that I enjoy playing, and although she is a lovely player, it's just that slightly wider neck that bugs me. No problem if I had never discovered the '62 Jazz neck. I would be blissfully un-aware and thoroughly enjoying my fretless adventures.

If I hang on to her simply because it is (apparently) a very rare, desirable thing to have, then I become like most Rickenbacker owners (keep it in its case, don't breathe on it, never let it out of the house, just LOOK at it (but not too hard).... etc etc).

[quote name='Starless' post='646235' date='Nov 5 2009, 02:04 PM']I only want to keep instruments that I enjoy playing, and although she is a lovely player, it's just that slightly wider neck that bugs me. No problem if I had never discovered the '62 Jazz neck. I would be blissfully un-aware and thoroughly enjoying my fretless adventures.

If I hang on to her simply because it is (apparently) a very rare, desirable thing to have, then I become like most Rickenbacker owners (keep it in its case, don't breathe on it, never let it out of the house, just LOOK at it (but not too hard).... etc etc).[/quote]

An alternative would be to trade necks. I listed a maple fretless Precision neck for sale last year and there was a bunfight over it, at least 10 BCers were very keen to get their hands on!

I know what you mean about the width of the P neck as, playing a Ric (very wide), Precision (wide) and a Jazz (narrow) really brings home how hard it is to play certain lines on certain necks (for example, I can't play Rhythm Stick on anything but the Jazz whilst playing White Room feels really wrong on the the Jazz and perfect on the Ric). Trading necks or basses is the obvious solution. The flip side is that a maple neck has a tone of its own and that's possibly worth pursuing, so you could sell the neck and get an almost identical custom built jazz width maple neck made? I'm not suggesting you should list it as high as this, but I've seen MIJ necks go for well over £300 on ebay, and yours has a degree of rarity value also.

Chris