Why become a member? ×

teach me my geddy lee

LukeFRC

I just played a gig in a thrown together band for a friend's solo stuff. It was good, lack of practice meant I wasn't that brill, but never mind....
anyway the band before us had a pretty good bassist, and afterwards he was complimenting my playing and saying i must be influenced by geddy lee.

I must admit I don't really know him, his music or rush at all.
I have spotify and I'm not afraid to use it... where should I start?

Spotify these:

Xanadu
Cygnus X-1
La Villa Strangiato
Free Will
Red Barchetta
The Camera Eye
Subdivisions
Distant Early Warning
Territories
Mission
Dreamline
Animate
Earthshine
Workin' Them Angels

Should give you a decent cross-section of both Geddy's style and Rush from the 70s to the present.

Jon

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='642955' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:54 PM']The last album they did, "Snakes and Arrows" is a pretty good look at the style. The all time classic track to download is, "Tom Sawyer", though.[/quote]
Hmm... IMO I'd say S&A isn't a great example of the 'classic' Geddy Lee style. He's got that flamenco thing goin' on there.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='643018' date='Nov 2 2009, 12:25 AM']Free Will[/quote]

This to me is the epitome of Geddy's style - great lines throughout and a fantastic solo section, it really doesn't get any better IMO!

Be prepared to have your views on bass playing altered permanently, he's a great all-rounder with four strings not to mention a cracking vocalist and synth player.

[quote name='chardbass' post='643032' date='Nov 2 2009, 01:47 AM']My 2p would be Hemispheres and Moving Pictures but then I'm just showing me age there.
Exit Stage Left for a cross section of their earlier stuff.[/quote]

Have to agree with this reply 100% +1

Edited by leschirons

Not forgetting that Geddy always says he was heavily inspired and influenced by Jack Bruce, so check out some Cream too. Always good to see where players are coming from, Jack Bruce influenced a hell of a lot of bassists.

Re: chardbass, completely agree, Hemispheres and Moving Pictures.

As with some of the others, Moving Pictures - YYZ, Tom Sawyer...in fact the whole album is mighty fine IMHO. Also some of their live CDs/DVD would be worth checking out. Their first live album All The World's A Stage is great as is their Live DVD Rush In Rio, there's some cool stuff in there too!

Enjoy!

Edited by urban Bassman

The best bet is to go out and buy the snakes and arrows dvd set. Rush are one of those rare bands who sound better now than they did back in their so called classic days. Check out you tube as well for Geddys winter sports tips, a classic.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwpGXfHmY-A&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwpGXfHmY-A...feature=related[/url]

Jez

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='643476' date='Nov 2 2009, 03:25 PM']perhaps he just fancied you and used that line as an [i]ice breaker[/i] :rolleyes:

:)[/quote]

Yep, I've always found Geddy Lee and Rush to be great icebreakers in any chat up situation...

...actually, to be honest, it hasn't really worked with any woman I've met.

I'm going to go against the grain of recent posts and say the mid 70s - mid 80s is the place to start. I find that Geddy's bass sound is less distinct/pleasing on the more recent recordings, although they're still worth checking out eventually.

Any of these will do:

[b]A Farewell to Kings[/b]
[b]Different Stages (Disk 3)[/b]
Hemispheres
Permanent waves
[b]Moving Pictures[/b]
[b]Exit...Stage Left[/b]
[b]Signals[/b]
Grace Under Pressure
[b]Power Windows[/b]
Hold Your Fire

The ones in bold are probably the most interesting for me from a bass playing perspective, but all are excellent.

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='643476' date='Nov 2 2009, 03:25 PM']perhaps he just fancied you and used that line as an [i]ice breaker[/i] :rolleyes:

:)[/quote]

haha no he was in his 40's and sat next to his other half, I'm possibly half his age so i doubt it.
Thanks for the replies, spotify turning on...now...

[quote name='JTUK' post='643734' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:12 PM']as with all these things, if you must, listen to his playing and general style and add it to your own arsenal...
but who wants a clone..????[/quote]
Yeah, that's a bit weird, dude. You a Joy Division fan or something?

That's the funny, thing, he's not that easy to clone. I picked up the bass because I found a copy of Spirit of Radio in my brother's room (along with Jimi Hendrix, but that is a whole different story).
I bought a Wal eventually, learned every line note for note from 2112 to Grace Under Pressure, and never once did I ever sound anything like him :) So I gave up. Probably the best thing I could have done but still not a bad introduction to bass. I'm with a few of the others here. I've listened to Snakes & Arrows god knows how many times but still don't really like it - apart from Armor and Sword it's just a bit dull song wise. I'd say Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire and Counterparts show the bands' progression best to me. When they mix Vapor Trails better I'll add that too, but here's hoping for a more exciting next album...

[quote name='silddx' post='643960' date='Nov 2 2009, 10:37 PM']Yeah, that's a bit weird, dude. You a Joy Division fan or something?[/quote]

What's wrong with you..? guitarists got on your tits..?

I'd ignore Geddy Lee altogther if it were me... as I will do this thread now..

[quote name='JTUK' post='643734' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:12 PM']as with all these things, if you must, listen to his playing and general style and add it to your own arsenal...
but who wants a clone..????[/quote]

i'm self taught, i started playing rhcp, bloc party, strokes, and all sorts of indie stuff. then i listened to lots of soul and funk, and jazz and listen to world stuff. Lack of practice means that i cant really play funk bass or jazz or anything but at the same time you kind a pick up things from what you listen too don't you. quite often not the bass lines.
so my playing in a mess of styles and stuff. I know a bit of theory and a bit of technical stuff but mostly just play what sounds right to my ears.

I was playing bass for[url="http://<a%20href="http://www.myspace.com/bobdavidbell"%20target="_blank">http://www.myspace.com/bobdavidbell</a>"] this guy[/url] if you have a listen the bass player is playing stuff i wouldnt know how to play, wee runs and stuff. (or want to really) So I played what sounded right to me. It was strange/nice to be complimented on this by another bass player and compared to someone like geddy lee and i am interested to find out who he is.

Been checking him/them out. Enjoying his playing, the music not as much. It does strikes me how much the way drums are used has changed over the last 20 years or so.

[quote name='JTUK' post='644011' date='Nov 2 2009, 11:35 PM']What's wrong with you..? guitarists got on your tits..?

I'd ignore Geddy Lee altogther if it were me... as I will do this thread now..[/quote]
Ooh I say!

I really like Joy Division, but it's generally depressing, as is your lack of a sense of humour. I should have put a smiley on for you, apologies. TBH, your post was way off beam, the guy just wanted to hear a great player who someone said he sounded like, not go deep in the woodshed for a year and come out with a big nose. Chill a bit, man, I was just kidding.