Why become a member? ×

teach me my geddy lee

LukeFRC

My Rush phase lasted about five years; started off with the first live album (All The World's A Stage), after which I naturally dug into their back catalogue - Rush/Fly By Night/Caress of Steel/2112 - and carried on through to the second live album (...Exit Stage Left) which has to have the worst production of any Rush album and kind of turned me off off them. (I don't know whether it's been remixed on subsequent reissues.)

For me, the first live album has everything you would ever need to know about the guy's playing...that sound, the fluidity of the playing, the runs, the way he works/worked off Neil Peart, plus, the sleeve is great! By comparison the studio albums it draws from are very lightweight affairs and this displays the material with a completely different dynamic. For my 14 year old ears, it was all a bit mental. And drawing from that album, it has to be Bytor and The Snow Dog that's the highlight.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

Clearly Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings are just some of the best examples of the less weird side of 70's prog rock. They are the best :).

I think I may have to watch a live video of YYZ now...just to watch Geddy thrust away at the back of his Fender, whilst simultaneously illuminated by his incredible washing machines.

It's also worth noting that in the YYZ live in Rio video, you can actually hear the audience singing the riff! Fantastic!

Edited by benzies123

[quote name='silddx' post='644563' date='Nov 3 2009, 06:27 PM']Ooh I say!

I really like Joy Division, but it's generally depressing, as is your lack of a sense of humour. I should have put a smiley on for you, apologies. TBH, your post was way off beam, the guy just wanted to hear a great player who someone said he sounded like, not go deep in the woodshed for a year and come out with a big nose. Chill a bit, man, I was just kidding.[/quote]

yep, ok... not a fan of the Band or the player at all so I should have kept out of it. :) :rolleyes:

and aplogies from me.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='644596' date='Nov 3 2009, 07:11 PM']My Rush phase lasted about five years; started off with the first live album (All The World's A Stage), after which I naturally dug into their back catalogue - Rush/Fly By Night/Caress of Steel/2112 - and carried on through to the second live album (...Exit Stage Left) which has to have the worst production of any Rush album and kind of turned me off off them. (I don't know whether it's been remixed on subsequent reissues.)

For me, the first live album has everything you would ever need to know about the guy's playing...that sound, the fluidity of the playing, the runs, the way he works/worked off Neil Peart, plus, the sleeve is great! By comparison the studio albums it draws from are very lightweight affairs and this displays the material with a completely different dynamic. For my 14 year old ears, it was all a bit mental. And drawing from that album, it has to be Bytor and The Snow Dog that's the highlight.
P[/quote]

This really sums up my thoughts on the whole debate ...My introduction was the first album - Rush - which while enjoyable, seemed too Zeppelinish....but the later offerings of Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel and 2112, were much more what I had been hoping for. These charted the early develpment of Geddy's style and tone.

With the release of All The World's A Stage....the potentiial classics on these albums, were given a much needed kick in the ass....and to my mind these tracks never sounded better.

I really stopped listening to Rush around the time of Moving Pictures - this and later albums just did not appeal to me.....though there were some notable tracks, such as Red Sector A, Distant Early Warning, The Enemy Within and New World Man. I finally gave up with them when I heard Power Windows.

As I said, Rush through to Moving Pictures really define the period where Geddy developed and perfected his sound and style, and anyone who wants to see the full story....should just work their way through these.

On the back of my earlier post, I've just given elements of [i]...Exit Stage Left[/i] a quick spin. Still sounds woolly and lacking clarity, so for me at least that supports what I've thought over the years.

I'm in no way going to backtrack from what I wrote, but you have to realise that the dates these albums were released was somewhat of a transition period for me (and likely most music savvy teens in this country). To a degree, Rush were fast turning into the dinosaurs the whole punk thing had turned against four or five years beforehand and to tell the truth, my head was far more into London Calling! and Obscure Alternatives than songs themed around black holes and honeydew. I've just looked down the tracklisting of the dozen (or so) studio albums that followed [i]...Exit Stage Left[/i] and I reckon I know three or four of the songs; mainly the first track of a handful of the albums.

P