Why become a member? ×

Not wishing to be provocative but....

Bilbo

[quote name='metaltime' post='625055' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:51 PM']Perhaps part of it is you got lucky with your Wal. That bass just happened to suit you in every way. So you have never needed to say I wish this pickup was nearer the bridge or i wish the strings were a touch closer at the bridge etc?[/quote]

+1. It also has to be admitted that aesthetics play a big part; probably the biggest part for me. Otherwise I'd keep using my Rics and ignore everything else. Personally, many of the basses that may have the features I want I don't like the look or feel of, and vice versa. Therefore, given the option, why not have something built? I mean, a fully loaded Sei built exactly how you want it is still probably going to cost less than a Wal. If you're talking a self-designed shape, well we're down to personal aesthetics again - and possibly ergonomics too - and speaking as someone with a background in fine art and back problems that require certain ergonomic boundaries I don't see that as a problem.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='625067' date='Oct 13 2009, 03:02 PM']I agree, I can't see the point. I mean I can spend my money buying an off the peg bass built from non carefully selected woods, produced on a CNC machine, using materials and in a manner to predominantly save money. A bass designed for Mr Average with in house electronics, again to save cost, a one piece neck for the joy of truss rod use, something the same as the next guy. Painted to cover up the flaws and joins in the wood.

So what's the point in wasting the same money getting something crafted to your own personal taste, a stiffer laminated neck and fretboard/neck profile tailored to your preference, pickups and electronics to suit your taste, something unique that you personally had a part in creating, something different that suits your sense of self. Something out of the ordinary, not of the masses.

Come on Mr Bilbo, you can do better than that surely :)[/quote]

And that just about says it all!

I take it Bilbo that you don't care about art as it relates to instrument making? I do. As I said, I come from a fine art background, so visuals and aesthetics are incredibly important to me in pretty much everything. I also like the idea of a craftsman building something individual and relatively unique. FWIW I had a Wal Custom and it didn't do it for me sonically or ergonomically, although I think they're great basses. As for a bass sounding like a bass sounding like a bass, then why are you playing a Wal when you could be playing something that cost a fraction of the price? You may not hear much difference between a Wal and another custom job, but if said custom job doesn't cost anymore than your Wal what's the problem? Even if it did, that's someone's preference. It's kind of like me asking why you have a beard when I don't!

Edited by 4000

But every custom builder has Standard models that you add 'options' to.

The way Bilbo's thread reads, he's lumping Alleva's & Wals into the same category as Fenders & Gibsons because they use standard parts and construction!?.
Which begs the question...what is a custom?.....apparently it's a builder who doesn't offer any standard models!? :)

Si

To use an analogy, there's going to be a big difference in fit, materials, attention to detail and overall quality if you get a tailored Saville Row suit instead of picking up something off the rail at M&S. Exactly the same thing with basses.

I've always found, as time has gone on and I've tried more and more basses, that I find myself thinking, "well, I like the sound of this one, but prefer the neck of that one", or something to that effect. Going custom allows you to get the best of both worlds, without compromise. Plus, you get to inject a bit of your own personality into the instrument, with wood choice, inlays, finishes and so on. Plus, for me, it's good to know I have a bass that's uniquely "me" and there isn't another one like it anywhere. All of that together makes a custom bass worth the money to me. :)

Dunno if my Shuker JJ Burnel counts as "custom", probably not as the definition being applied above varies, but - compared with a Fender 09 P bass (great basses IMHO) - it hangs better, sounds better, has higher quality components and plays better. It gives me more confidence on stage that I will play the right notes in time and in the right order!

It costs (now) close to twice as much as a new Fender P but thats the price you pay for a top notch non-mass-produced instrument. Is it worth the same as 7 or 8 Squier P basses (which also come highly recommended by many BC'ers)? Who knows, but you can only play one bass at a time and I would rather play this bass on stage than a Squier for the reasons I mention above.

Edited by Clarky

I still think there are two types of bass player on here.
Firstly the 'pros' those that make money and their living from being a musician.
and secondly the non-pro's. The folk who play bass as a hobby, for fun, or whatever reason.

I don't want folk to put value judgements on these labels, both are good. Theres nothing wrong with being a pro musisian and nout wrong with just playing for yourself in your bedroom.

I would guess the 'pros' would er towards more 'of the shelf' designs. Even if more high end off the shelf designs. The bass is a tool for a job. The focus is on the result of the process of playing bass.
The 'non-pros' would be more likely to start modding stock basses and then getting custom built basses I think. As the result and reason of playing is less defined then the focus becomes more about the process. Tone woods, super transparent cabs, top of the range pre's and so on.
Two other reasons for this I can think of are....
'non-pros' by definition will have a source of income. I guess if bass playing is your hobby and love and you earn £xx,000 a year and can afford to indulge in your interest, then why not?
Also I think part of the drive to get 'better' gear is down to the limits of the players ability. You compensate for your weaknesses by having top of the range everything. I would guess a 'pro' is more likely to have been brought up to practice rather than sit on internet forums developing needs for a new pre-amp that uses exotic tonewood hand built valve power to make you sound.....well like a slightly different sounding bass guitar....

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='625333' date='Oct 13 2009, 06:35 PM']I would guess the 'pros' would er towards more 'of the shelf' designs.[/quote]

[url="http://www.fodera.com/a_jackson.html"]http://www.fodera.com/a_jackson.html[/url]
[url="http://www.fodera.com/garrison.html"]http://www.fodera.com/garrison.html[/url]
[url="http://ctbasses.com/les.html"]http://ctbasses.com/les.html[/url]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Casady"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Casady[/url]
[url="http://www.alembic.com/info/FC_riff.html"]http://www.alembic.com/info/FC_riff.html[/url] (based on the JPJ model)

One thing I would highlight is that there is a huge space in between pro and bedroom player, a space which is filled by many of the numerous semi-pros and gigging/recording amateurs on basschat.

But I'd certainly agree that the route to better tone is usually the practice one, not the gear one. Get the gear sorted, then get on with playing!

Alex

[quote name='Rich' post='625252' date='Oct 13 2009, 05:28 PM']If you order one and specify a particular facing wood or finish, then it is.[/quote]

Is that like me choosing the colour of a new Ford Fiesta. Wow - a boutique custom Ford Fiesta! What happens if I add a cheesy faux wooden dash?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='625333' date='Oct 13 2009, 06:35 PM']I still think there are two types of bass player on here.
Firstly the 'pros' those that make money and their living from being a musician.
and secondly the non-pro's. The folk who play bass as a hobby, for fun, or whatever reason.

I don't want folk to put value judgements on these labels, both are good. Theres nothing wrong with being a pro musisian and nout wrong with just playing for yourself in your bedroom.

I would guess the 'pros' would er towards more 'of the shelf' designs. Even if more high end off the shelf designs. The bass is a tool for a job. The focus is on the result of the process of playing bass.
The 'non-pros' would be more likely to start modding stock basses and then getting custom built basses I think. As the result and reason of playing is less defined then the focus becomes more about the process. Tone woods, super transparent cabs, top of the range pre's and so on.
Two other reasons for this I can think of are....
'non-pros' by definition will have a source of income. I guess if bass playing is your hobby and love and you earn £xx,000 a year and can afford to indulge in your interest, then why not?
Also I think part of the drive to get 'better' gear is down to the limits of the players ability. You compensate for your weaknesses by having top of the range everything. I would guess a 'pro' is more likely to have been brought up to practice rather than sit on internet forums developing needs for a new pre-amp that uses exotic tonewood hand built valve power to make you sound.....well like a slightly different sounding bass guitar....[/quote]

What utter, utter, utter......

...... COMMON SENSE....!

Well done Luke, summed up what I was thinking and put it very well.
"Custom" means the customer having some involvement in choices prior to the article being finished - by that analogy all Volvo cars are now 'custom' but who in thier right mind would say "I have just bought a brand new custom Volvo" ?

I'd also add a 3rd phase to Lukes eloquent post, there are two types of blokes (and for these few seconds I am deliberately leaving the fairer sex out of this as the vast majority of bassists are blokes),
1. Blokes who love their gear and can quote infantesimally boring and anal details about every aspect of it, and
2. Blokes who just use gear and really dont care what the bits are as long as they work....

Niether one of these groups is right or wrong, they are just different!

These two types of blokes are prevelant everywhere and in every form of hobby, pastime, sport or job.

These groups may never see eye to eye but should (and need to) co-exist in perfect equilibrium, because one without the other is boring.

So back to the OP - Bilbo is not being prevocative, he is just re examining up the oldest argument known to blokes!

:)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='625464' date='Oct 13 2009, 08:57 PM']What I'm trying to say is that some people are happy with whatever partner they meet, while others join a dating agency to find a partner that fits their criteria.

Am I making sense here?...or shall I get me coat?[/quote]

No you make sense Pete

Trouble is the woman that I tend to aspire too is usually like a guitar - highly strung!

[quote name='Sibob' post='625474' date='Oct 13 2009, 09:08 PM']I think the only issue that Bilbo has bought up here, is where is the line between a hand-built bass, and a custom built bass.

Si[/quote]

If something is mass produced you join the queue and when your number is called out you take your box from the counter.

If something is handmade to order it's usual to be able to influence the process. I think the whole custom thing is a bit of a misnomer. If you asked a good luthier to build something totally unworkable, unreliable or impractical hopefully they'll tell you this.

I think Bilbo is partly chucking in a hand grenade and watching the ensuing chaos, a bit of a pompous thing to do perhaps? Maybe I'm totally wrong and it's a serious worthy debate.

Maybe Bilbo needs to get out more? I know I do :)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='BassBod' post='625507' date='Oct 13 2009, 09:43 PM']Well, he got everyone talking...again....

Nothing wrong with healthy debate[/quote]

Oh of course!
But it is interesting when someone's definition of 'custom' ISN'T 'handbuilt' lol.

Si