Why become a member? ×

Not wishing to be provocative but....

Bilbo

I am not a particularly expert in the mysteries of bass design but, having played one of the damn things for nearly 30 years (literally one of them, the same bass for over 23 of them), I struggle to see the value of spending vast sums of money on expensive custom jobs. There are only two legitimate reasons for doing this, in my eyes, one is for cosmetic reasons (like Gene Simmons 'axe' basses or the bloke from Slade's 'gun' bass, for instance) or for specific technical reasons like needing an 11-string to explore your muse. I see some lovely looking basses on here being custom designed and have glanced superficially at long posts about how it all comes together. It is all very exciting but, fundamentally, I struggle to see the point.

I have always struggled to understand why musicians can't be satisfied with 'off the peg' instruments. I get that this pick up is different from that one and a maple neck feels different to a rosewood one etc but, from where I am standing, none of these basses sound remarkable enough to have warranted the expense. Most of them sound like a bass. Brilliant. But why isn't a Jazz/Precision/Wal/Warwick/Alembic/whatever etc good enough?

Double bass players tend to get a bass and stick to it (Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Marc Johnson, Scott LaFaro, Mingus etc all played one bass through most of their careers and only replaced them if they were damaged or stolen). Same with sax players, trumpeters etc. Many pianists play a different instrument every night. So what's it all about, peeps?

Is it just vanity :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='625015' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:29 PM']But why isn't a Jazz/Precision/Wal/Warwick/Alembic/whatever etc good enough?[/quote]

I'm sure that between those five anyone would be happy. However getting one of those 'expensive custom jobs' is in many cases vastly [b]less[/b] expensive than getting an Alembic or a Wal!

Alex

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='625027' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:34 PM']Do you mean bespoke custom instruments, built to spec, or say an off-the-peg Roscoe like mine?[/quote]

Custom jobs of the bespoke variety (My Wal Custon was, ironically, 'off the peg' and bought mail order :) . I just don't get all the fussing abut with ths wood vs. that....

Guitarist Eric Johnson is renowned for being able to tell what type of battery is in his pedals. Can anyone really tell what type of wood a bass is made if? Or what the nut is made of? Or whether there is a zero fret? Or if its a through neck or bolt on? They all just sound like basses to me.

I dunno about most people, but I'm happy with off the peg basses once they have been tweaked to my preferences. Degloss the back of the neck if required, set up with the action low with TI flats, replace the pots & socket with CTS & switchcraft, roll the fingerboard edges, put on an aged pearl pickguard on a mustang, chrome covers on a Precision, badass bridge on a jazz, hipshot d-tuner etc

Getting one custom made would take all the fun out of it.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='625044' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:43 PM']Custom jobs of the bespoke variety (My Wal Custon was, ironically, 'off the peg' and bought mail order :) . I just don't get all the fussing abut with ths wood vs. that....

Guitarist Eric Johnson is renowned for being able to tell what type of battery is in his pedals. Can anyone really tell what type of wood a bass is made if? Or what the nut is made of? Or whether there is a zero fret? Or if its a through neck or bolt on? They all just sound like basses to me.[/quote]
I know people who can't tell the difference between lamb and pork, nowt to be proud of though is it?

I agree, I can't see the point. I mean I can spend my money buying an off the peg bass built from non carefully selected woods, produced on a CNC machine, using materials and in a manner to predominantly save money. A bass designed for Mr Average with in house electronics, again to save cost, a one piece neck for the joy of truss rod use, something the same as the next guy. Painted to cover up the flaws and joins in the wood.

So what's the point in wasting the same money getting something crafted to your own personal taste, a stiffer laminated neck and fretboard/neck profile tailored to your preference, pickups and electronics to suit your taste, something unique that you personally had a part in creating, something different that suits your sense of self. Something out of the ordinary, not of the masses.

Come on Mr Bilbo, you can do better than that surely :)

[quote name='metaltime' post='625055' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:51 PM']Perhaps part of it is you got lucky with your Wal. That bass just happened to suit you in every way. So you have never needed to say I wish this pickup was nearer the bridge or i wish the strings were a touch closer at the bridge etc?[/quote]

I was like this with ye olde Streamer. Then a crack appeared in the neck abot five years ago and I realised I better think about a replacement - and I wasn't about to pay current Warwick prices for a less good instrument. And then once I was thinking about getting a custom bass built I thought I'd make the necessary tweaks to perfect it.

You have no idea quite how long I spent researching and experimenting before a deposit was finally paid! I don't think most people do this though...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='625070' date='Oct 13 2009, 03:04 PM']You have no idea quite how long I spent researching and experimenting before a deposit was finally paid! I don't think most people do this though...[/quote]

[url="http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1748225/1"]http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.p...opics/1748225/1[/url]

Alex

P.S. And the end result cost less than a thru-neck Warwick.

[quote name='metaltime' post='625055' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:51 PM']So you have never needed to say I wish this pickup was nearer the bridge or i wish the strings were a touch closer at the bridge etc?[/quote]

Nope. Nothing - not a single thing (other than 1 change of string brand v. early on).

Hmm, I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here but as I understand it, aren't most [i]other[/i] instruments [b]not[/b] mass produced? When you start looking at spending serious money on an instrument, say £1k+ as a arbitrary figure, you'd probably be able to tailor a lot more to your spec than you can for a mass produced instrument (where you have no say at all really if you think of Fender, Yam, Ibanez, Gibson et al, aka the big companies). For this I'm classing smaller manufacturers like Sadowsky, Lakland etc which have a standard product line but atr more like traditional retailers because you can still order yours with options to suit.

I can't see for instance loads of Violins, Violas, DB's etc all being mass produced on a factory line to the extent that guitars and basses are (and electric keyboards for that matter), so the question of why people shouldn't be happy with a mass produced instrument should perhaps be looked at with a frame of reference to other instruments.

Can you can see where I'm going with this? Perhaps it something do with with mass produced instruments are simply more like [i]products[/i] rather than [i]instruments[/i].

Edited by Buzz