Why become a member? ×

favourite coloured basses

blazer3

I"ve just been online looking at basses and found a shedload of different colours.
What is everyones idea of a nice colour for a bass and is there any colours you would stay away from.

Personally i hate the colour black, its boring and looks awful, i also cant stand black or white(brilliant white that is ).

My ideal colour would be "wine red" with an antique white pickguard and all maple neck.

Be interesting to know what other people think

for me, totally depends on the shape, neck and hardware of the bass, completely subjective. For example i love a sunburst finish on a jazz type, but think it looks rubbish on a stingray type.

Im finding myself drooling over and fiesta red basses that come up lately, and iv always been a fan of white basses w/ maple fretboard.

Gassing for a sonic blue bass at the moment... overall though I prefer wood coloured guitars... had to let my two wood basses go though (SB1000 + Stingray.... cry).

I'm left with a black one and a green one... not that keen on either colour!

I'm a sucker for beautiful, figured timber tops. For solid colours (on Fender shape basses):
Sonic blue (with MHS and rosewood board)
Shell pink (with MHS and rosewood board)
Olympic white

I've seen a few late '60s or early '70s Mustangs in orange with competition stripes and that looks really cool. I also love Plexiglass and foolishly turned down the offer of an original for £30 in the '70s (far too heavy though)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='619403' date='Oct 7 2009, 11:09 AM']Why shouldn't the headstock match?

Infact surely the whole neck should match?[/quote]

Most fenders (for instance) dont have coloured headstock's.
Not like this

Edited by dave_bass5

Personally I find instruments with 'natural' finished necks on non-natural finished bodies aesthetically unpleasing and cheap looking.

I guess it's all down to another of Leo Fenders cost-cutting exercises so they didn't have to waste time matching bodies to necks.

I have a broad taste. For Fender- or MM-style instruments, I love black with a black 3-ply pickguard and maple board or white with a black 3-ply pickguard. I think white also looks great with dark-stained fingerboards like rosewood or ebony. I love a nice transparent finish too though. Up until two years ago, I would have preferred transparent finishes anytime but my taste has shifted :)

On basses without pickguards, I usually prefer a transparent finish (preferably natural) so the wood really shines.