Why become a member? ×

The New Wal Website

philw

[quote name='Spoombung' post='619905' date='Oct 7 2009, 07:47 PM']When I bought it in '84 it had the original body, you can see it here, ahem:

Oh God, look at me; eighties style Erazerhead haircut, ironic Rockabilly jacket, heroes on the wall - Beefheart, Stravinsky, Wilhelm Reich, bits of my quirky pottery...... and my Wal bass.

I had the new Fender body made in '94. I remember it cost me £200 which I thought was an absolute bargain - even after trading in the old body to the workshop. In fact I had several changes made to it over the 10 years; neck completely re-shaped (it's thinner than a Jazz), fretlines added and numerous setups and they never overcharged.[/quote]

Almost the same outfit when I saw Stump in Glasgow back in '88. Can't remember the venue, maybe Nitemove (now Victoria's) in Sauchiehall St

[quote name='Spoombung' post='619708' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:24 PM']I'm not sure that's the case. That guy has been working on it for ages now and still hasn't even got a working model. There's a lot of mouth but not much trouser going on in that Talkbass thread.

The thing to remember is the Wal pickup works in a perfect symbiotic relationship with it's preamp. Both are ingenious and devilishly complicated to reverse engineer because of their complexity.[/quote]

he's got a prototype ready...

QUOTE (Toasted @ Oct 5 2009, 02:42 PM)
I don't see how that's a "benefit" over, say CNC.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='617862' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:49 PM']I do.
Dude with a spokeshave, chisels and sandpaper is cheaper than an expensive CNC router!! :)[/quote]

Actually a small CNC router (big enough for a neck or body) can be pretty cheap these days, <£20K.
This sound like a lot, and program development will also take some time, but if your producing standard parts, which Wal seem to be, then this cost and effort will soon be repaid in terms of production rates and repeatability. I guess that finishing would still be hand, but your man could do that while the router produced the next part.

Also, in general princible, I can see why people like the idea something being hand made, but quality wise I would have thought that CNC has all the advantages.

Edited to say that , if spec'ed correctly, same machine could do most of the bridge work as well.

Edited by Count Bassy

£3200 sounds pretty cheap to me for a "hand made" custom built bass. Always liked the sound and feel of Wals but didn't have the cash when I first tried them back in the late 70's. May take a punt on a new 5 although it would put my next Alembic custom back another year. :)

[quote name='jacko' post='623074' date='Oct 11 2009, 01:26 PM']£3200 sounds pretty cheap to me for a "hand made" custom built bass. Always liked the sound and feel of Wals but didn't have the cash when I first tried them back in the late 70's. May take a punt on a new 5 although it would put my next Alembic custom back another year. :)[/quote]
Don't do it, I've had 2 Wals and 1 Alembic. I still have 1 Alembic.... Get the custom first, the Wal can wait.
(I do think they're lovely basses though)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='620347' date='Oct 8 2009, 10:45 AM']Bought my Wal Custon Fretless on 25th April 1986 and it is still my main squeeze. I have other basses for fretted/low B work but have not gigged with another bass since around 1990. It still sounds great and no other bass has turned by head since. If I had the wonga, I would order a fretless 5 today.

Here the bass here!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42836&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42836&st=20[/url]

And see it here!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42836&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42836&st=20[/url][/quote]
I loved that!! do an album you lazy bugger, I'll buy two!
seriously though, if that's just "noodling" about, I would buy some!
ace to listen to in the sun! good man!

Cheers guys. Still have two years of saving till my big birthday trip to santa rosa. Hoping Mica will talk me into something pretty :)

Jake - you need to come to manchester for bass day and meet some Alembic club members. There's always a few of us making the trip.

Great to see them back in business...lots of sharks trying to get an extra buck the passed years because they had become "rare". Even some who regretted that they weren't made anymore secretly liked the idea that they had Wal-basses in their livingroom. They are not cheap but neither are other quality basses..I owned around 10 Wal basses during the last fifteen years only to found out that I only needed one MKI and a fretless.
I have other basses but nothing sounds like a Wal bass, that "honk" in the tone you cannot get anywhere else.
Throughout the wide spectrum in sounds that are available (you can make it sound like an Alembic or a Precision) that personal Wal-tone comes through. It is unique and cannot be copied..that 's worth a lot of money.
I can live without a lot of basses but I wouldn't want to miss my Wal-basses.

• 2 weeks later...

This'll make you smile (well maybe not but I did). I've just received the July 1997 bassist magazine through the post. It has an advert for the Embassy in mansfield with 8 Wal basses ranging from £900 to £1500! If only I had a time machine. :)

The reason I bought the mag (on ebay) was for the Alembic Rogue review. This model had just come out in 1997 priced £1800! Mine was near enough £4500 in 2005 :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I have seen old pictures of old Wal Basses and they have what appears to be coil switches on the actual pickups. Like this one:

They are located under the humbucker within the pickup surrounds. On the new site, the new models dont appear to feature this. Hopefully im wrong!

Wal only made about 40 of these basses in the early to mid 1970's and they haven't been offered since. I believe they are the JG model with the pickup switches and leather pick guards. Pete Stevens showed me the original order list and it's a Who's Who of top bassists at the time, from Chris Squire to Alan Spenner.

Edit correction: JG was the serial number, the model was the Pro or Pro11 and they were made in the late 70's.

Edited by chris_b

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='littleal' post='635329' date='Oct 24 2009, 06:02 AM']Anyone recieved their new Wal yet?[/quote]

Mine arrived.

Hope its OK to link to another forum but here it is:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638638"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638638[/url]