Why become a member? ×

The New Wal Website

philw

[quote name='henry norton' post='617336' date='Oct 5 2009, 12:50 PM']It'll be interesting to see how they get on in today's market - 3k will buy you a pretty good, custom built bass but for some I guess only a Wal will do.... Good luck to them. :)[/quote]

Henry,

A Wal IS a pretty good custom built bass.

Phil

[quote name='danweb22' post='617356' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:02 PM']Prices starting from [b]£3200[/b] :rolleyes: :) :lol:[/quote]

That's a helluva lot of money... for a starting price...

I know why they are back in business - license to print money by trading on the name? It will be interesting seeing how this pans out - back in the old Wal days, the competition wasn't as rife as it is now... I hope they manage to recapture the early Wal days though. It's good to get some UK luthiers some worldwide coverage!

Going for a lie down now... can't quite believe that starting price. I wonder what a fully loaded example is likely to cost!?

Edited by EBS_freak

I can't imagine the options will add a lot to the cost - there were never many options other than facing woods and number of strings! Of all the custom builders I think Wal must have been the most "production line" ever? Although I admit they did everything their own (harder) way..even the bridges.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='617407' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:38 PM']I know why they are back in business - license to print money by trading on the name?[/quote]

That's a pretty cynical attitude isn't it? Believe me, whoever you are, and whatever "name" you own, custom building high-end basses (or those short scale six string things that I can't remember the term for), is never, ever going to fall into the "license to print money" category.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='617414' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:53 PM']That's a pretty cynical attitude isn't it? Believe me, whoever you are, and whatever "name" you own, custom building high-end basses (or those short scale six string things that I can't remember the term for), is never, ever going to fall into the "license to print money" category.

Phil[/quote]

Woah. Hold your horses. Maybe. Maybe not.

There is a lot of interest in Wal in the moment and maybe this is the time to capitalise on it. I'm fully aware that the custom luthier business is never going to be a big money spinner but resurecting the Wal name rather than going out under your own name is going to make more business sense.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='chris_b' post='617432' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:03 PM']They're priced to keep the riff raff away.

10 years ago Pete Stevens was quoting about 2.5k for a 5 string. It's good to see them up and running again.[/quote]

The Riff Raff? Ha ha, brilliant.

[quote name='BassBod' post='617412' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:49 PM']....Of all the custom builders I think Wal must have been the most "production line" ever?....[/quote]
Hardly. All the wood for every bass was machine cut by hand and to order.