Why become a member? ×

Gig Punch-ups

Pete Academy

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='617139' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:49 AM']Ha ha... you'd love it. Bring a crash helmet though... :)

We've seen our fair share of violence in the past, one memorable gig saw around 100 Flemish and French speaking Belgian skinheads kicking the crap out of each other just before we went on. After they got nicked there was another off in the middle of our set.

Another night the promoter asked the singer to tell the crowd to stop fighting to which he told the promoter "f*** off c***, who do you think I am? Jimmy Pursey or something?" quality night.

Played in Finland and saw two Finnish skinheads virtually demolish the venue and everyone in it. They knocked one of the bouncers out who came round, got up, cs gassed one of them in the face and proceeded to smash the granny out of this head-case.

After playing in Sweden last year we had a set-to with a load of Polish Nazi (yeah work that one out) skinheads who don't like us very much at all due to our singer taking on a load of their mates one drunken night. There's a picture of him floating about with a boot mark on his face somewhere.[/quote]

You must be so proud........

Did a gig back in the late 80's in a pub in Bagshot, aptly named, The Fighting Cocks. Busy night and our singer announced that the next song was about fighting. During the song, a massive fight broke out, spilling out onto the road and eventually the cops were called and people arrested. After that we carried on playing. Quite funny really and it made it into the paper including the bands name being mentioned :)

Did a gig in the late 90's at The Princess Hall in Aldershot. A few bands playing but we were the headline act so a lot of our fans were there. In the bar, there is a lifesize model of Arthur English, the actor who was a soldier based in Aldershot. Well, our fans decided to totally debag him and his clothes went missing. Again, that made the papers and the bands name mentioned :rolleyes:

Years ago I was unfortunate enough to secure a Sunday lunchtime slot at a pub in Hackney:

It was a bit of a trawl up, but we got paid in beer, chicken wings and a bit of money.

One Sunday, two fat blokes are having bit of a jostle by the bar over some chicken wings that had just come out. I didn't see the start of it, my drummer threw a stick at me and I just looked up to see one of the blokes punch the other one full on the nose and hear the sickening crack of bone. He went down and then the whole place erupted. It was like a cowboy movie. we just kept playing, inching closer to our equipment to stop it from getting damaged. Two blokes were on the floor in front of me beating the crap out of each other.

The owner was swinging a pool cue around his head shouting 'Not in my pub! NOT IN MY FAAAACKING PUB!' and hitting anyone he could. It all stopped after about 90 seconds, with all factions making a swift getaway and no doubt carrying it on elsewhere.

In hindsight, it was hilarious. At the time, I was shitting myself.

Happy days.
P

My mad story of a fight WITHIN the band on a residency gig:

I was on a latin gig and the percussionist (who's gig it was) punched the keyboard player in the face and then broke free again and chucked my music stand (black steel solid type-eek!!) point blank at the keys players face. How mad is that. It was only because the keys player made a few comments that he wasn't in time or listening for any endings, which was absolutely right.
There was a bar full of people and luckily a few big guys jumped up and held him back - I had my pride and joy strapped to me so whilst trying to put it somewhere where it wouldn't get used as a beating stick I didn't end up being much help to the poor pianist.

I hope I never work with a nutter like that again!

I caught a couple of guys trying to steal stuff out of our van as we loaded it up after a gig in Bognor. Yelled at them to f**k off and they decided they'd rather start on me than scarper. I'm a big bloke but I guess they decided being in a pair gave them the advantage.

Few broken fingers and ribs later they saw the error of their ways and did what they should have done initially, IE speedily f**k off! :) Cretins

[quote name='NickH' post='617438' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:07 PM']I caught a couple of guys trying to steal stuff out of our van as we loaded it up after a gig in Bognor. Yelled at them to f**k off and they decided they'd rather start on me than scarper. I'm a big bloke but I guess they decided being in a pair gave them the advantage.

Few broken fingers and ribs later they saw the error of their ways and did what they should have done initially, IE speedily f**k off! :) Cretins[/quote]

I trust you gave them a few dividends on your injuries.. :rolleyes: hope so, anyway..

Once saw an ex-boxer and brother of a world champion give this moron who was really asking for it, a bit of a pasting..
all clean head shots, the bloke went backwards 3 or 4 metres and some, and his face was cut to pieces in seconds...and the boncers chucked him out as well.

That worked out well, IMV..

I was once doing this gig, and there was a drunk guy up on the balcony behaving like a pillock. Meanwhile, there's this other drunk guy who is climbing up onto the stage to make trouble. So I grabbed the guy in front of me with my right hand, and threw him up onto the balcony. I aimed him so that his head would hit the head of the guy up on the balcony. Sure enough, both of them instantly knocked out. Didn't miss a note, everyone cheered, went home with 3 hot girlies.

Good times.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='617499' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:56 PM']I was once doing this gig, and there was a drunk guy up on the balcony behaving like a pillock. Meanwhile, there's this other drunk guy who is climbing up onto the stage to make trouble. So I grabbed the guy in front of me with my right hand, and threw him up onto the balcony. I aimed him so that his head would hit the head of the guy up on the balcony. Sure enough, both of them instantly knocked out. Didn't miss a note, everyone cheered, went home with 3 hot girlies.

Good times.

S.P.[/quote]
:)

A few weeks ago at our gig in Stourbridge there was one p*ssed tw*t who kept falling into the people around him, shouting out ridiculous & incomprehensible heckles and generally being a nonce. :)

After the show I went into the audience (still in full 'Gene Simmons' KISS gear...) to chat to some friends and he fell into me..... bad move... lol! :lol:

So, I lifted him off his feet by his throat and pinned him roughly (choking) to the wall while giving him an earful of my thoughts on his behaviour!

That must have looked hilarious for those around me.... a 6ft 3 bloke in 7" high monster headed boots, lycra, studs and make-up pinning a drunked half way up the wall by my studded fist! :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Still, he won't do that again.... and I doubt we'll see him again either!! :lol:

[quote name='cetera' post='617623' date='Oct 5 2009, 04:28 PM']A few weeks ago at our gig in Stourbridge there was one p*ssed tw*t who kept falling into the people around him, shouting out ridiculous & incomprehensible heckles and generally being a nonce. :)

After the show I went into the audience (still in full 'Gene Simmons' KISS gear...) to chat to some friends and he fell into me..... bad move... lol! :lol:

So, I lifted him off his feet by his throat and pinned him roughly (choking) to the wall while giving him an earful of my thoughts on his behaviour!

That must have looked hilarious for those around me.... a 6ft 3 bloke in 7" high monster headed boots, lycra, studs and make-up pinning a drunked half way up the wall by my studded fist! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, he won't do that again.... and I doubt we'll see him again either!! :lol:[/quote]
Great story :rolleyes:

I witnessed Pete Way trying to keep Phil Mogg and Michael Schenker apart during a UFO gig in Manchester a couple of years back. Schenker was totally pissed as usual, and Mogg took exception to his lousy playing, and so tried to hit him with the mic stand. Only Pete Way and his Thunderbird could keep them apart. Very funny.

[quote name='JTUK' post='616223' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:42 AM']None involving the band that I can recall, but I did see a squaddie have a charge at someone from right across the room..he went wailing at this guy like a banshee at full pelt but didn't see the knee-level height glass coffee table in front of him and that poleaxed him ....straight down onto his face[/quote]
I want to see that on youtube :):lol:

[quote name='Rayman' post='617668' date='Oct 5 2009, 05:06 PM']I witnessed Pete Way trying to keep Phil Mogg and Michael Schenker apart during a UFO gig in Manchester a couple of years back. Schenker was totally pissed as usual, and Mogg took exception to his lousy playing, and so tried to hit him with the mic stand. Only Pete Way and his Thunderbird could keep them apart. Very funny.[/quote]
And that :rolleyes::lol::lol:

at the risk of being seen condoning violence.... Dude that's awesome!! :-D

[quote name='cetera' post='617623' date='Oct 5 2009, 04:28 PM']A few weeks ago at our gig in Stourbridge there was one p*ssed tw*t who kept falling into the people around him, shouting out ridiculous & incomprehensible heckles and generally being a nonce. :)

That must have looked hilarious for those around me.... a 6ft 3 bloke in 7" high monster headed boots, lycra, studs and make-up pinning a drunked half way up the wall by my studded fist! :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Still, he won't do that again.... and I doubt we'll see him again either!! :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='JTUK' post='617468' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:32 PM']I trust you gave them a few dividends on your injuries.. :) hope so, anyway..[/quote]

Oh no, the injuries weren't mine, that was them!
I've done lots of competition style, sportsmanlike martial arts training in my time... and also lots of realistic nasty self-defence stuff.
The way I see it, I didn't know if they were carrying weapons, my girlfriend was in and out helping us carry stuff as well as my less-defence-aware bandmates. Not worth the risk of giving them a chance with a Queensbury rules gentleman's bout of fisticuffs.
Oh - and if you're playing gigs in Bognor, mind your van :rolleyes:

We have fights at nearly half our gigs i reckon...

there was one at a gig in Chatham, we were playing at this 2 tone/ rocksteady/ ska club, we got halfway through the first song, the whole place was dancing and it was packed. All of a sudden there was a mad rush and punches being thrown everywhere.

We always stop playing if theres a fight during our set, thats not what gigs are about..

The guy who instigated came up and apologised to us before we started again, his story was basically this...

"Sorry about that lads, this bloke behind me poured his pint down my back.. so i said
"don't pour your pint down my back" and he said
"f*ck off"
So i hit him. and if he comes back in here again he wont have a face left to tell the tale with."

There was another one the other week where the whole pub turned in to a massive pit, one guy started taking it too far and he got picked up thrown out by 4 men and told not to come back if he wanted to keep his teeth.

One a few weeks ago we were playing in this bar where everyone had to walk across the stage to get to the toilet/ smoking area... we were near the end of the set and we saw 3 guys start attacking a bloke as he came out of the toilet. We all stopped playing and grabbed them all and dragged them outside, the guy who was being attacked, we kept inside... carried on playing when it'd all calmed down.

The only fight we've had involving the band was one of our earlier gigs, we were packing up our gear when a guy comes flying out of the toilets, face covered in blood. our trombone player comes running out after him and laying in to him... somebody ran over to try and break it up and one of our friends ran across the stage, jumped and headbutted the guy who was trying to break it up.

The guy being beaten up was being.. racist, lets say. its a long story. but our trombone player had to run home covered in blood before the police turned up. The guy he attacked had a broken nose, a broken jaw, 3 broken ribs, broken fingers and was pouring blood... it wasn't pretty.

[quote name='tom1946' post='618808' date='Oct 6 2009, 05:27 PM']Have to say we don't get many punch ups in the Methodist church on Sundays.........[/quote]
Yeah, but you got to watch those guys at Church of Revelations, they're always up for a scrap!
Especially watch for the old ladies with facial tattoos and scars - they're the veterans

[quote name='Crikey!' post='618697' date='Oct 6 2009, 03:56 PM']We have fights at nearly half our gigs i reckon...

there was one at a gig in Chatham, we were playing at this 2 tone/ rocksteady/ ska club, we got halfway through the first song, the whole place was dancing and it was packed. All of a sudden there was a mad rush and punches being thrown everywhere.

We always stop playing if theres a fight during our set, thats not what gigs are about..

The guy who instigated came up and apologised to us before we started again, his story was basically this...

"Sorry about that lads, this bloke behind me poured his pint down my back.. so i said
"don't pour your pint down my back" and he said
"f*ck off"
So i hit him. and if he comes back in here again he wont have a face left to tell the tale with."

There was another one the other week where the whole pub turned in to a massive pit, one guy started taking it too far and he got picked up thrown out by 4 men and told not to come back if he wanted to keep his teeth.

One a few weeks ago we were playing in this bar where everyone had to walk across the stage to get to the toilet/ smoking area... we were near the end of the set and we saw 3 guys start attacking a bloke as he came out of the toilet. We all stopped playing and grabbed them all and dragged them outside, the guy who was being attacked, we kept inside... carried on playing when it'd all calmed down.

The only fight we've had involving the band was one of our earlier gigs, we were packing up our gear when a guy comes flying out of the toilets, face covered in blood. our trombone player comes running out after him and laying in to him... somebody ran over to try and break it up and one of our friends ran across the stage, jumped and headbutted the guy who was trying to break it up.

The guy being beaten up was being.. racist, lets say. its a long story. but our trombone player had to run home covered in blood before the police turned up. The guy he attacked had a broken nose, a broken jaw, 3 broken ribs, broken fingers and was pouring blood... it wasn't pretty.[/quote]

:)