Why become a member? ×

Sex on Fire

Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' post='600866' date='Sep 16 2009, 10:52 PM']Why do so many people struggle with the intro[/quote]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='600867' date='Sep 16 2009, 10:55 PM']Why do so many people want to play this over-rated piece of sh*t.[/quote]

I don't know the answer to either of these questions. I've played it in 2 bands, haven't struggled with the intro, don't see the attraction other than the punters generally love it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='600866' date='Sep 16 2009, 10:52 PM']Why do so many people struggle with the intro
to this jaunty tune by the popular beat combo Kings of Leon?

It's not hard really[/quote]

We do it too, no problems with it really. I think it's a good song, and it seems to go down well, especially at the end of the set when everyone's hammered, they stand up and sing the chorus with us, pint glasses in the air.

[quote name='Rayman' post='600907' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:52 PM']We do it too, no problems with it really. I think it's a good song, and it seems to go down well, especially at the end of the set when everyone's hammered, they stand up and sing the chorus with us, pint glasses in the air.[/quote]

yeah but i could name 50 songs better than that one. but it's all subjective i guess.

Woooo-aaahhhhh, I'm a klutz with a liiiiigggghter.

That said, it's not a bad song, but quite frankly, it's played on Radio 1 about once an hour so considering I normally only listen to it when I'm coming to and from work I seem to hear it at least twice a day, if not more depending on the shops up-to-date music playlist. I also seem to come across it when I flick though the freeview music channels in the evenings and it's now starting to grate from being overplayed.

We play it in my band purely because the punters love it.

I think the reason for the intro being difficult is there is a sort of extra half beat when the drums come in. Some sort of time signature screw up. :) The whole band can play it seperatley (to the song) but doing it together almost never went right, so we adapted it a bit.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='600994' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:01 AM']We always seem to get the start ok now but we had a few "moments" the first couple of times

I agree that it's not the best song in the world BUT the audiences absolutely love it so why not play it ??[/quote]

I quite like Kings of Leon so it was my idea to try it before it was even released as a single. We worked on it at one practice and it was in. People were going mad for it then and they still do now.

Its like Blondi: One Way or Another or The feckin Killers one we do Mr Brightside. I keep askin to drop it and without fail it goes down a storm with people jumping on chairs and swinging pints about.

Our guitarist just looks at me and shrugs when we play it cause deep down I know we cant drop it :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='600866' date='Sep 16 2009, 10:52 PM']Why do so many people struggle with the intro

It's 'cos the snare beat on the 2 is unusual, without its mate, the snare on the 4. It's a little hard to count from the guitar intro.
I just don't understand why anyone feel they have to play it exactly the same as the record.
The obvious thing to do is to start the drums first then once people are jumping and thinking "er I know this" bring the guitar in....

As a tune it always gets a good reaction whenever it's played (we don't play it as it doesn't quite fit) so thats a pressing reason to include it in the set.

Why do popular tunes always get slagged off?

Well slap my arse. We have a virtuoso in our prescence. I bow before your omniscience oh great one! :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='601037' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:38 AM']It's 'cos the snare beat on the 2 is unusual, without its mate, the snare on the 4. It's a little hard to count from the guitar intro.
I just don't understand why anyone feel they have to play it exactly the same as the record.
The obvious thing to do is to start the drums first then once people are jumping and thinking "er I know this" bring the guitar in....

As a tune it always gets a good reaction whenever it's played (we don't play it as it doesn't quite fit) so thats a pressing reason to include it in the set.

Why do popular tunes always get slagged off?[/quote]
+1 to all that.

[quote name='The_D' post='601020' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:08 AM']I quite like Kings of Leon so it was my idea to try it before it was even released as a single. We worked on it at one practice and it was in. People were going mad for it then and they still do now.

Its like Blondi: One Way or Another or The feckin Killers one we do Mr Brightside. I keep askin to drop it and without fail it goes down a storm with people jumping on chairs and swinging pints about.

Our guitarist just looks at me and shrugs when we play it cause deep down I know we cant drop it :)[/quote]

Mr Brightside is a great tune, though! Perfect bit of pop music. Unlike Sex On Fire, which makes me want to defenestrate myself when I hear it.