Why become a member? ×

Refinished Fender Precision 1964

mattbass6

[quote name='birdy' post='592852' date='Sep 8 2009, 01:07 PM']You may get more by selling it through vintage and rare or similar who have a shop in Bath which isn't far from you.

Although it isn't original the neck alone could be worth a lot of money so I would consider having its value appraised. Although V&R take commission from any sale they have contacts and customers etc who are willing to pay more than the average punter on here.

A refin would approximately half the value in collectors eyes as a general principle.

Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve,

I really appreciate your input. I have just had the same advice from another forum member. Let's see what happens next :) Thanmks for evrythig and take care.

Cheers,

Matt

I have a 64 which I have had since the late 60s so I know its genuine. Unfortunately its been refinished three times, has lindy Fralins, and non original guard, knobs, and bridge.

I curse frequently when I think of what might have been but in the 70s, when it first was refinished, who thought of vintage values, and I probably didnt think I would still be playing now.

Good luck with your sale, if its anything like mine, refin or not, its probably a great bass.

Hello everyone, here I am again. Right then, I have been reliably informed that though the body and neck are an original, they have been refinished. I want to take this opportunity to apologise to you all, I REALLY thought what I had bought was the actual finish and I promise you I posted everything in good faith.

With this is mind, I obviously have to lower the price but the bass has to go. If anyone is interested, then I will knock £1000.00 off the original asking price and take £1500.00 for it. It is still a 1964 pre-CBS bass after all and it does sound amazing.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice, it is appreciated greatly. Take care.

Regards,

Matthew

I'm afraid that I am not in a position to buy this lovely bass. However, I would just like to say that you have restored my faith in basschat. You are indeed a gentleman. All the very best for a successfull conclusion to your sale.

[quote name='Hutton' post='592898' date='Sep 8 2009, 02:12 PM']I'm afraid that I am not in a position to buy this lovely bass. However, I would just like to say that you have restored my faith in basschat. You are indeed a gentleman. All the very best for a successfull conclusion to your sale.[/quote]
+1.

And a heck of an investment to anyone who wants to restore it.

[quote name='mattbass6' post='592383' date='Sep 7 2009, 07:34 PM']I leave all my basses bar one, in a safe and secure lock up. At the time, I had swapped the pups and scratch plate and they remained with me in my house where as the basses were in the lock up. When my house got broken into, they nicked my stereo, CDs, spare bass at the time (a Washburn 6 string) plus my box of spares which included the pups and scratch plate. I hope that helps Tait. Not a happy story but so glad I decided to keep the basses else where. I am now in a very secure neighbourhood but my gear is still locked away where I know it is safe. :rolleyes:[/quote]

probably wanted them for mine - nicked in the 80's, mind. It had no scratch plate and Dimarzios when it went missing ...
:)

[quote name='Hutton' post='592898' date='Sep 8 2009, 02:12 PM']I'm afraid that I am not in a position to buy this lovely bass. However, I would just like to say that you have restored my faith in basschat. You are indeed a gentleman. All the very best for a successfull conclusion to your sale.[/quote]

+1. Very well put Hutton...
Best of luck to you with the sale.

Edited by 99ster

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for the very kind words from you all. It is appreciated and means a lot. I would hate for anyone to think that I was ever trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, that is just not me and I really posted everything about this bass in good faith. Thank you for understanding all. I will keep you posted. Take care.

Cheers,

Matthew

[quote name='mattbass6' post='593020' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:32 PM']I just wanted to say a massive thank you for the very kind words from you all. It is appreciated and means a lot. I would hate for anyone to think that I was ever trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, that is just not me and I really posted everything about this bass in good faith. Thank you for understanding all. I will keep you posted. Take care.

Cheers,

Matthew[/quote]
Your a good man :) Best of luck with the sale, i think that is a very reasonable price and, cliche i know, if i had the money i really would go for it, gorgeous :rolleyes:

[quote name='Kev' post='593021' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:34 PM']Your a good man :) Best of luck with the sale, i think that is a very reasonable price and, cliche i know, if i had the money i really would go for it, gorgeous :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thank you Kev and totally understand mate :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' post='593121' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:02 PM']I've met Matt a couple of times through a mutual friend (though he won't have a clue who I am) & he's a really nice bloke.
He's also a bloody good player & his band The Reasoning are excellent.[/quote]

Hi Rhys,

Thank you very much my friend, really appreciated :) Just jog my memory sir, when and how have we met and the next pint is on me :rolleyes: Take care and hopefully catch you again soon. Take care bud.

Cheers,

Matt

[quote name='mattbass6' post='592866' date='Sep 8 2009, 01:23 PM']With this is mind, I obviously have to lower the price but the bass has to go. If anyone is interested, then I will knock £1000.00 off the original asking price and take £1500.00 for it. It is still a 1964 pre-CBS bass after all and it does sound amazing.

Regards,

Matthew[/quote]

Argh! That price is very tempting for a Fender born the same year as me!

Its certainly got more orginal parts than I have too :)

Edited by simon1964

Hi everyone,

After the mad day today, which I sincerely thank you for, I have decided, after some long, hard thinking that I am now not going to sell this bass. It is 45 years old and worth much more than £1500.00 in my mind. You can buy a top end USA Fender Precision Deluxe for £1400.00 and that has no where near the history of the bass I own, so I think it is worth far more than £1500.00 even it has been refinished. I'm sure you all understand my thinking? I'm going to get it valued by a couple of dealers and see what they think. If they say it is worth only £1500.00, I still won't sell and will sit on it for a bit, if they say on the other hand that they reckon they can get closer to £2000.00 then, I will definitely change my mind. Sorry about this, but it has been a mad day for me :) Take care and thanks again, you have all been brilliant.

Cheers,

Matthew

Good shout Matt,

Definitely worth getting as many valuations as you can.

Dealer prices are all over the place at times. Some will go artificially high and say they'll fog it on commission for you and then they'll sit on it for a bit and tell you the market is dead and you'll need to drop the price to sell it.

Others will go really low and offer sod all. Then they'll flog it for twice what they paid.

'Insurance' valuations are generally high to protect people against the possible loss and hassle of claiming.

Basically it's a ll a bit of a minefield but worth seeing what a few pros say before you kick yourself by selling too cheap :)

Hi Molan, Luke, Pete and Bigwan,

Really appreciate your comments. I think it is best to see what it is actually worth and not just let it go for the sake of it. As I said, 45 years, man that has to worth something :lol: I will keep you posted when I know more but in the mean time, I have found a great place here and will definitely be partaking more and more and maybe get involved in gear I know a lot more about i.e. modern 6 string basses :rolleyes: Thanks again to you and everyone who has posted, you all ROCK!! Good night and catch you soon.

Cheers,

A more informed and slightly drained Matt :)

Good call Matt, no point in letting a Bass go for less than you're comfortable with.
It is a bit of a funny market, the Vintage one, things sell just for what people want to pay for them....so it becomes a very subjective area with regards to original parts etc.

In any case, while you wait, it may be worth trying to source parts from around 1964 to 'restore' the bass, you can never get the finish back obviously, and so you'll always be looking at around half of what a fully original '64 would be, but by adding other original '64 parts back onto the bass, it will no-doubt add value!

Good luck :)

Si

Fully agree with what has been said - Matt, if it were me, I too would hang onto it. My father has a Strat from the same year and he has had people make numerous offers on it (it too has a refinished body in fiesta red!) and he is going to hang onto it as you say, its got history etc being a 45 year old instrument. However, if you want me to take it off your hands for an indefinite period (re: valuation!) then you know what to do!!! Takes about ten to twelve months....!

Cheers!

Nick