Why become a member? ×

Refinished Fender Precision 1964

mattbass6

[quote name='silddx' post='618210' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:33 AM']Arrgh, of course I sort of knew that would be the case, but one never knows. That nut width is too wide for me. I suppose I need a P with a Jazz neck or a later P with a B width neck. I think my dream of owning a P born in the same year as me is now properly over :)

Sorry to waste your time Matt, but sincere thanks for the info.[/quote]

It's worth trying a pre-CBS 'C' width neck P Bass if you can though - as they are much slimmer/shallower in profile than the later 'B' necks (if that makes sense?) - nothing like the really fat 'B' necks that you'll find on some late 60's P basses...
It really does make them play beautifully - even if you're used to a B or A neck...

[quote name='99ster' post='618291' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:28 AM']It's worth trying a pre-CBS 'C' width neck P Bass if you can though - as they are much slimmer/shallower in profile than the later 'B' necks (if that makes sense?) - nothing like the really fat 'B' necks that you'll find on some late 60's P basses...
It really does make them play beautifully - even if you're used to a B or A neck...[/quote]
Interesting, thank you! I'm pretty much an A man, but B is OK. I have fairly small fingers but do a fair bit of tip joint barres which I find really difficult on anything wider. Had no idea C width was variable!

[quote name='silddx' post='618402' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:38 AM']Interesting, thank you! I'm pretty much an A man, but B is OK. I have fairly small fingers but do a fair bit of tip joint barres which I find really difficult on anything wider. Had no idea C width was variable![/quote]

Everything with Fender is variable :)

The assumption that wider=harder to play is flawed, there are simply too many other variables (depth & radius being the two most obvious). Bottom line is that you won't know with any bass until you try it. My Ric's neck is 1.8 at the nut but it's a joy to play and, in my hands, easier than my Precision which is 1.625.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='618452' date='Oct 6 2009, 12:30 PM']Everything with Fender is variable :)

The assumption that wider=harder to play is flawed, there are simply too many other variables (depth & radius being the two most obvious). Bottom line is that you won't know with any bass until you try it. My Ric's neck is 1.8 at the nut but it's a joy to play and, in my hands, easier than my Precision which is 1.625.

Chris[/quote]
Thanks Chris. I appreciate your points.

Hi all, just to let you know that the bass is currently on hold and could well be sold, so I will keep you posted if it falls through. Thanks for all your help, you have been brilliant. Take care and hopefully this is my last post on this thread :)

Cheers,

Matt

[quote name='OldGit' post='619641' date='Oct 7 2009, 03:04 PM']Phew.. Take that temptation way!

Well hopefully you can post soon to say it's gone off to a nice home for a full life of stage work :)[/quote]

Temptation could be back your way sir, let's see what happens :rolleyes: But I do hope it does get used live as it is stunning. The gentleman looking at the bass certainly has great taste in basses so I am sure he will be using this a lot if he buys. Fingers crossed :lol:

[quote name='anthomp' post='619787' date='Oct 7 2009, 05:24 PM']This bass will be be used live
Little bit of tidying up to do then
to the backline its going.

cheers Matt

antony[/quote]

Nice one Antony. I take it you are happy with it then :) It was great to meet you and a pleasure doing business sir. Have fun and hopefully catch you again soon. Take care and enjoy the bass.

Cheers,

Matt

[color="#483D8B"][size=3][b]This wonderful bass has a new home. Thank you everyone for talking to me about it and for enlightening me in so many areas. Never again laugh.gif This place is brilliant and I look forward to taking part in more discussions with you all. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt[/b][/size]
[/color]