Why become a member? ×

What is your favorite bass?

XxBassMastaXx

[quote name='XxBassMastaXx' post='587625' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:20 PM']Mine is the Music man stingray. Mainly cos flea uses it and it looks the best![/quote]

Just as a matter of interest, in your avatar, Flea is using his Modulus Flea Bass (now known as the Funk Unlimited)... he hasn't used Stingrays for years, and rarely ever recorded with one.

[quote name='Russ' post='587649' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:39 PM']Just as a matter of interest, in your avatar, Flea is using his Modulus Flea Bass (now known as the Funk Unlimited)... he hasn't used Stingrays for years, and rarely ever recorded with one.[/quote]

Out of interest, what did Flea usually record with?

[quote name='Linus27' post='587654' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:41 PM']Out of interest, what did Flea usually record with?[/quote]

Different basses on different albums... this isn't comprehensive, but to summarise, the early albums, up to Mother's Milk were mostly a Spector NS4, BSSM was mostly a Wal (with a 5-string Stingray on two tracks), One Hot Minute was mostly an Alembic Epic (apart from Aeroplane, which was obviously a Stingray), Californication & By The Way were pretty much all the Flea Bass, and Stadium Arcadium was the Flea Bass and a '62 Jazz with flats.

[quote name='Russ' post='587665' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:46 PM']Different basses on different albums... this isn't comprehensive, but to summarise, the early albums, up to Mother's Milk were mostly a Spector NS[b]2[/b], BSSM was mostly a Wal (with a 5-string Stingray on two tracks), One Hot Minute was mostly an Alembic Epic (apart from Aeroplane, which was obviously a Stingray), Californication & By The Way were pretty much all the Flea Bass, and Stadium Arcadium was the Flea Bass and a '62 Jazz with flats.[/quote]

Corrected for you :)

[quote name='Russ' post='587665' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:46 PM']Different basses on different albums... this isn't comprehensive, but to summarise, the early albums, up to Mother's Milk were mostly a Spector NS4, BSSM was mostly a Wal (with a 5-string Stingray on two tracks), One Hot Minute was mostly an Alembic Epic (apart from Aeroplane, which was obviously a Stingray), Californication & By The Way were pretty much all the Flea Bass, and Stadium Arcadium was the Flea Bass and a '62 Jazz with flats.[/quote]

Thanks, I am quite surprised by that list, especially the Spector, Wal and Alembic. I wonder why he never used the Spector live.

[quote name='Linus27' post='587763' date='Sep 2 2009, 05:00 PM']Thanks, I am quite surprised by that list, especially the Spector, Wal and Alembic. I wonder why he never used the Spector live.[/quote]

He used to, back in the day, before he started using Stingrays. Check out the videos for Taste The Pain, Nobody Weird Like Me, etc (should be on YouTube), and you'll see him with the Spector. He used a strange multi-coloured thing in the Higher Ground video, not sure what that was. Still want a pair of those teddy bear trousers though. :)

1980 Stingray, best playing bass I've ever had, deep, deep snarling tone.
1986 KGB Musical Instruments Status replica, indestructible, 23 year old friend.
1998 Fender Jazz, Jap, EMGs, East J Retro, Badass, dirty bitch.
2003 Status S2 through neck, disappointing eq, plays beautifully, neck pickup beast.
1995 Squier Precision, flats, EMGs, funk machine.
In that order.

As a single bass, my '72 Ric 4001. It doesn't play as well as it used to (thanks to the one time ministrations of someone who didn't know how to adjust the neck - it could also do with a refret as the frets are now almost nonexistent) but it's still my favourite sounding (although not right for everything) and looking bass. As a make, a close thing between a good Ric, the right Alembic and the right Sei. Although it depends what music I'm playing and what sound I'm after. Those 3 would be the first calls though.

BTW, I've seen lots of footage of Flea using his Spector live. My favourite Flea sound is the Wal on BSSM, which owes more than a passing nod to Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow (and yes, Flea is a BWW fan, as is John Frusciante, who bought a White Falcon because Matthew Ashman played one).

Edited by 4000