Why become a member? ×

Flea - Is he the best bass player?

TMB

If this is down to technical ability..He is knowhere near...yeah Alex he would admit that...I know bassists who could wipe the floor with him technically..There are prob some on here..

This is presumably a subjective discussion, which there is no answer, only your opinion...I love the fact he prob got millions of people playing bass..I hate the fact that most may try and clone him..WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SOUND LIKE SOMEONE ELSE..BOGGLES THE MIND..not knocking them but ive never liked signature basses either..

Hate his super fast repetitive slapping but I really like his fingerstyle playing, but i like many others..Meshell does it way better than him IMHO...

Hes fantastic on Aeroplane though..

[quote name='TMB' post='568701' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:56 AM']There is a raging arguement amongst my friends and collegues. They have been discussing 'The best bass player ever' and as expected Flea has been a hot subject. We all know he is ace.... and we all know that there are many more truly great players (too many to mention) but if you had to choose one..... would it be Flea because of his uniqueness and individuality or someone else? Help solve this row.. please... ![/quote]

Who is Flea?

[quote name='TMB' post='568701' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:56 AM']There is a raging arguement amongst my friends and collegues. They have been discussing 'The best bass player ever' and as expected Flea has been a hot subject. We all know he is ace.... and we all know that there are many more truly great players (too many to mention) but if you had to choose one..... would it be Flea because of his uniqueness and individuality or someone else? Help solve this row.. please... ![/quote]

Wow, Flea is good but best ever? Not even close. There is no best ever. I mean, putting Flea next to someone such as Ric Fierabracci makes Flea look kinda amateur, but is it really necessary... And Victor Wooten makes Flea's basslines sound simple.

Edited by Dee

if music is not a competition, why do we have the Hit Parade, with places awarded for who has sold the mosts records?

Next time you try get a gig, you could be in competition with other bands, as to who can bring the biggest crowd.

Performance exams are a competition and points awarded accordingly.

There is constant competition in magazine polls, and award shows, also we have Battle of the Bands competition and the whole Pop Factor thing. Seems like one big competition to me.

Not condoning it, just saying is all.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='568753' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:37 AM']If you asked the general public most of them wouldn't even know that Macca played bass. In fact a few years back the answer in a pub quiz to "who was the rhythm guitarist in The Beatles?" was deemed to be McCartney. An argument ensued...

Alex[/quote]

I'm not surprised, I think technically he was for a while during the Stuart Sutcliffe period. Whether they were identifyable as The Beatles as we know them might be open to debate though. Some of these pub quizzers will argue till closng time if they think they'll get the point they need to come 4th instead of 5th or whatever... :)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='alexclaber' post='569437' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:15 PM']Guigsy needs some sort of a prize for putting possibly the most pointless basslines ever recorded onto a couple of extremely successful and actually rather good albums. Their only redeeming feature is that they're thoroughly lost in the mix - but for lesson in how not to play bass find the isolated tracks on youtube.

Alex[/quote]

It was probably Noel Gallagher playing anyway.

Guigsy is a better player than flea for 2 reasons:

1) He didn't jump around like a bell-end.

2) He wasn't in the Boil-in-the-bag Jalapeno Brothers.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='568734' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:20 AM']Really? If you asked the general public, I would wager Macca would come above Flea. I don't think the majority of the general public would even know who Flea is.[/quote]

The general public probably wouldnt of heard of him

But.. they can tell he is a good bassists by listening to higher ground, aeroplane, coffee shop etc

Jaco may be a better player but its not like you 'the chicken' on bbc radio 2