Why become a member? ×

Straplocks!

midgetiser

Ummm, I don't use them anymore!

I probably should, but I have never dropped a bass at a rehearsal or a gig in the 5 years since I stopped using them and just got a decent strap.

Now I've said that, the next time I pick up a bass it will inevitably crash onto the floor, so I now have to go out and buy straplocks. Great.

[quote name='thodrik' post='561106' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:07 PM']Ummm, I don't use them anymore!

I probably should, but I have never dropped a bass at a rehearsal or a gig in the 5 years since I stopped using them and just got a decent strap.

Now I've said that, the next time I pick up a bass it will inevitably crash onto the floor, so I now have to go out and buy straplocks. Great.[/quote]

The only time ive had a bass fall off was when i WAS using strap locks and the nut came off the strap :-(

[quote name='thodrik' post='561106' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:07 PM']Ummm, I don't use them anymore!

Now I've said that, the next time I pick up a bass it will inevitably crash onto the floor, so I now have to go out and buy straplocks. Great.[/quote]

I did say that I don't use them either... it's only fair to declare that I have cultivated a persona involving the absolute minimum of movement and looking as miserable as sin. That might have a bearing on it.

Grolsch washers here, on all my on-stage basses. Extremely reliable and I've never had one ping off. I've got them on my Stingray, and it fits in the case fine.

Recently the material of the washer has changed though - from the rubbery substance of old to a slightly stiffer plasticky feel. Anyone else noticed?

Also, Grolsch washers make good thuddy plectrums.

I seem to be the only person using the Ernie Ball straplocks?

I love them, industrial strength and a good design - even if the nut was to come undone whilst its in use it still wouldnt fall off because of how they work.

Pricey, but in my opinion awesomeness is worth a few pennies

Used them ever since I got a Warwick with Schallers on in 1987. I have had a guitar come off a strap and never want to repeat the experience. I use the [url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-542-boston-guitar-strap-locks-black-strap-lock-system-for-guitar-and-bass.aspx"]Boston Schaller clones from Dangleberry[/url] which have two nuts per strap-end bit and consequently are less prone to undoing themselves than the Schallers. A tenner isn't a big investment really...

Never really had a problem without them.
Well, I tell a lie, when I was using a cheap strap it used to pop off from time to time. But since I switched to Comfort Straps the whole 'double folded eyelets' seems to have held the straps in place well. Touch wood thats 6 years and counting.

I tried installing straplocks on my first bass years ago but to be honest I didn't like the concept of fitting a different thread screw into the tophorn. It caused some cracking in the finish and I was glad it was just my P-bass copy and not anything more pricey.

[quote name='tauzero' post='561179' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:32 PM']Used them ever since I got a Warwick with Schallers on in 1987.[/quote]

My first bass with straplocks was my '87 Warwick with Schallers. Unfortunately they have now worn out but I guess they've done pretty well. My RIM Custom 5 has Dunlops on it. However as I never take my strap off I'd be quite happy with a big wood screw and a large washer.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='561199' date='Aug 5 2009, 03:06 PM']My first bass with straplocks was my '87 Warwick with Schallers. Unfortunately they have now worn out but I guess they've done pretty well. My RIM Custom 5 has Dunlops on it. However as I never take my strap off I'd be quite happy with a big wood screw and a large washer.

Alex[/quote]

I am fairly relaibly told that Denny lane used a 6 in nail on his rickenbacker 6 string back in the moody blues days

[quote name='bumnote' post='561218' date='Aug 5 2009, 03:21 PM']I am fairly relaibly told that Denny lane used a 6 in nail on his rickenbacker 6 string back in the moody blues days[/quote]

:)

Am pretty sure Stanley Clarke has the woodscrew/washer combo on his Alembics - not quite as rock and roll but definitely not smooth jazz...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='561252' date='Aug 5 2009, 04:14 PM']:)

Am pretty sure Stanley Clarke has the woodscrew/washer combo on his Alembics - not quite as rock and roll but definitely not smooth jazz...

Alex[/quote]

That's famously true. Mica Wickersham has reported his specific instructions on the Alembic group.

[quote name='Jase' post='560378' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:07 PM']Given up on locks, mine always break! Rubber rules :)[/quote]

This sounds like an advert for when durex came into play (sorry for the pun)

"I dont need a chastity belt anymore....."

Haha

[quote name='midgetiser' post='560294' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:45 PM']I've always been a fan of the grolsch bottle seals for my basses but I recently got a stingray and the strap just doesn't like being squeezed into the hard case along with the bass.

Has anyone used "proper" straplocks? Are they any good and easy to fit?

At least with the grolsch tops I know where I stand - They never come off and I know the only time the bass will fall is if the strap itself breaks. Problem is they are a nightmare to take off so taking the strap off every time I put the bass in it's case is going to be too much of a hassle. My strap is a beastly leather number that is perfect for a heavy bass like the stingray but that makes it pretty difficult to fit into the case when attached to the bass.

Anyone got any thoughts?[/quote]

best accessory ever...all my basses had them...use the same strap for all
and i always take the strap off anyway...gig bag.. :)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='561479' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:58 PM']best accessory ever...all my basses had them...use the same strap for all
and i always take the strap off anyway...gig bag.. :)[/quote]

But don't you find you want slightly different strap lengths on different basses depending on where the strap buttons are and the body sizes and upper horn length?

Alex

• 1 month later...

I swear by my shaller strap locks. I use them on every instrument I own. The one mistake that most guys make when they use the new screws included with the strap lock buttons is that the new screws don't have the same thread spacing as the original strap button screw. As a result, you'll end up stripping the screw hole for the button. What I do is use the original strap button screw already on the bass. "But Mowac, the head of the original screw will not pass through the hole on the new strap button." No problem. What I do is grind the edges of the original screw with a brick, dremel tool,etc. just enough to where the head of the screw fits through the top and seats at the recess at the bottom of the new strap button. This way you won't risk stripping the hole that the original strap button is mounted to. :)

[quote]...."But Mowac, the head of the original screw will not pass through the hole on the new strap button." No problem. What I do is grind the edges of the original screw with a brick, dremel tool,etc. just enough to where the head of the screw fits through the top and seats at the recess at the bottom of the new strap button. This way you won't risk stripping the hole that the original strap button is mounted to....[/quote]
[quote]....Simple solution for the nut coming loose.....Liquid thread lock. Sorted....[/quote]
I don't understand why people want to buy Schaller strap locks and then start various DIY projects to get around the problems and design shortcomings in order to make them safe!

I don't buy any other stuff that I have to fix it before it works!

I know I'm old fashioned, but I expect to get strap locks that work right out of the packet. That seems to be any make of strap lock other than Schaller!!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='601092' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:18 AM']I use the black plastic Dunlop washers. They never fail, unlike various makes of 'proper' straplocks.[/quote]
+1 to those. Simple and inexpensive. And they keep your instrument fully original, if that sort of thing matters to you.

I don't like the way Dunlops and Schallers resonate when playing seated with no tension on the strap.
That tells me neither are quite engineered correctly. IMHO, of course.

All my basses have Schaller straplocks,I put the strap part on upside down,so the bass has to enter the strap from above,the strap part acts as a cup,just in case the piston fails (Happened once about 18 years ago)

Had a Dunlop fail on me,and only just caught the bass,that being said,the Phil Lynott Mockingbird has Dunlops on it,as I am keeping that one totally original