Why become a member? ×

Love at first sight?!

Legion

Well, I have to say this one sneaked out from a dark corner and whacked me over the head with its clubby neck. I would never have imagined I would find exactly what I was looking for right now in a bass thats almost pink, it's relic'd and its a Custom Shop. Those are 3 things I really didn't rate...

It speaks to me, inspires me, and I've fallen for it in a big way. Never believed in all that relic lark but this just feels "played" - a very strange experience to know within a couple of notes (unplugged) that its the one you wanted. Pino Palladino's original basses that these are based on must be a hell of a thing.

Also rolls in at a nice light 8lbs 4oz. Did I mention the colour? I think it's growing on me :)

[attachment=27749:IMGP1942.JPG]
[attachment=27750:IMGP1943.JPG]

[quote name='Legion' post='524790' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:45 PM']Well, I have to say this one sneaked out from a dark corner and whacked me over the head with its clubby neck. I would never have imagined I would find exactly what I was looking for right now in a bass thats almost pink, it's relic'd and its a Custom Shop. Those are 3 things I really didn't rate...

It speaks to me, inspires me, and I've fallen for it in a big way. Never believed in all that relic lark but this just feels "played" - a very strange experience to know within a couple of notes (unplugged) that its the one you wanted. Pino Palladino's original basses that these are based on must be a hell of a thing.

Also rolls in at a nice light 8lbs 4oz. Did I mention the colour? I think it's growing on me :)

[attachment=27749:IMGP1942.JPG]
[attachment=27750:IMGP1943.JPG][/quote]

im aching for one of these myself!!

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='524792' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:50 PM']im aching for one of these myself!![/quote]
I'd never considered one before now - if you get a chance to try one out I'd highly recommend it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='524818' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:25 PM']That is VERY nice...![/quote]
It will just have to tide me over until you retire and sell those P basses :rolleyes:

[quote name='Raggy' post='524821' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:29 PM']Looks sweet. I have an early eighties Squier Jazz in that colour. Looks awesome under certain stage lights.[/quote]
I'm really looking forwards to out next gig - hopefully I'll get a photo or 2 of the gig to see how cool this looks on stage :)

Beautiful score there. I've not heard a bad word about the Pino from those who have actually played one. "It speaks to me, inspires me, and I've fallen for it in a big way". I know just what you mean, the same happened to me when I picked up a wreck of a '63 P last year.

[quote name='Rayman' post='524970' date='Jun 26 2009, 04:21 PM']Outstanding. Totally love that, pricey though no?[/quote]

Oh yes a little bit more than a Pino. You gotta love a wife who asks "would it be a good investment?" and then says "you should get it". I bought it 'cos it's just awesome, the investment side keeps the wife happy. Win/win :)

(Unless you're talking about the Pino of course)

[quote name='ezbass' post='525167' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:52 PM']Oh yes a little bit more than a Pino. You gotta love a wife who asks "would it be a good investment?" and then says "you should get it". I bought it 'cos it's just awesome, the investment side keeps the wife happy. Win/win :rolleyes:

(Unless you're talking about the Pino of course)[/quote]I have a beautiful wife just like yours but I haven't found a 60's lefty P bass yet. :)

[quote name='ezbass' post='525167' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:52 PM']Oh yes a little bit more than a Pino. You gotta love a wife who asks "would it be a good investment?" and then says "you should get it". I bought it 'cos it's just awesome, the investment side keeps the wife happy. Win/win :)

(Unless you're talking about the Pino of course)[/quote]

And if he is talking about the Pino - don't worry I got it second hand at a very good price :rolleyes:

ps gorgeous '63 P

[quote name='jonthebass' post='526348' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:38 PM']Wa sit the one on eBay by any chance?[/quote]
It was yea, although I didn't realise you had posted about it previously. It was only a 90 minute drive so I went to check it out. You know the rest :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='526463' date='Jun 28 2009, 02:28 AM']It's just a P-bass. Nothing special barring it being a CS variant.[/quote]
Play what makes you happy.

That is lovely, and think the colour is great, ive got a cij 62 re precision in that colour, its great a bit of a pino on a tight budget, i would love to try the pino, congrats on a great find!! - all the best - lee

[quote name='Legion' post='526492' date='Jun 28 2009, 07:57 AM']...It was yea, although I didn't realise you had posted about it previously. It was only a 90 minute drive so I went to check it out. You know the rest :)[/quote]

Ah man, it had me gassing big time.
I was thinking about flogging a load of gear to fund it at one point :rolleyes:

Well done that man!

Just like that!

My old teacher had a Squier JV Jazz that used to be owned by Jack Bruce, in that colour with a tort guard. It's just the best playing Jazz bass I've ever touched. I couldn't put my finger on what exactly was special about it - But my God there was something!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gigged the new bass on Saturday and it sounded awesome - happiest I've been with my live sound for a long time. Here's a little picture someone snapped...

[attachment=28850:6536_122...032803_n.jpg]

1st live use of my Novation Bass Station keyboard as well, it went down a storm! :)