Why become a member? ×

Anything wrong with using extra light strings?

Golchen

Is there anything wrong with using extra light strings? I get the impression that generally with basses/guitars, one is kind of considered more impressive if one uses ’extra heavy’ strings and somewhat looked down upon if one uses extra light. People always say that heavier strings will give you better tone, and I guess that there’s something to be said for that, but generally, lighter strings give you better playability, so there is a plus.

Anyway, the reason I’m asking is that I’m currently using 40-125 on my 5 string, but I feel like I want to try 30-115. Does that sound too light a gauge? I have zero experience either playing live or at any volume at all which is why I feel the need to ask. It’s one thing to play at home at about one decibel, and another thing entirely live.

Are there any ‘famous’ players who use extra light?

I play 30- 115 on my 5 string.... it's much easier to play and for bending strings also..... I play a lot of slap and it's great for that too. I'd say you have to experiment though.... I also use 35-120 on one of my 5 strings as it does give you a beefier sound the heavier you go.... just depends on what your trying to do I guess.... not to everyones taste but don't be put off.

Nope! Nothing wrong at all.

I don't know about roundwounds as I don't use them, but Thomastik jazz flats are very light and low tension. There's nothing wrong with the tone I get out of those and apart from the better tone I find them much easier to play than something like heavy rotosound flats.

If anyone thinks any less of me for using low tension strings I couldn't give a flying feck and I envy them that they don't have anything more important to worry about. :)

Nothing wrong at all. I would guess that the difference between the sound of light and heavy strings will be more pronounced at stage volumes and less so at home. So it's about whether the feel of extra light strings is good for you. But I think the extra light's will loose their zing much quicker.

[quote]Is there anything wrong with using extra light strings?[/quote]Nothing at all.

[quote]I get the impression that generally with basses/guitars, one is kind of considered more impressive if one uses ’extra heavy’ strings and somewhat looked down upon if one uses extra light.[/quote]Never, ever encountered that.

[quote]People always say that heavier strings will give you better tone,[/quote]I'd be surprised if you [i]couldn't[/i] tell the difference tone wise. I would guess that [i]most[/i] prefer the sound of a heavier gauge.

[quote]lighter strings give you better playability,[/quote]Not so sure. Personally, my right hand fingers prefer a heavier gauge, while my left fingers prefer a slightly lighter gauge.

[quote]Are there any ‘famous’ players who use extra light?[/quote]Not a clue.

FYI I use 40-100 Stadium Elites. Changed every 4-5 gigs

Don't forget, you will need to make adjustments to your bass according to your chosen gauge of string.

Edited by SteveK

It's just a matter of personal taste, I used light stings (95-35) for years. Players like Geddy Lee & Mark King are known for using very light gauges & it's not done their "credibility" any harm! I'd recommend experimenting with a few different sets & find what feels best for you - never mind what anyone else thinks.

Personally I found myself favouring slightly heavier gauges when I started working on my fingerstyle, having been a pick player for years, & these days I use very boring, middle-of-the road 105-45 sets - I prefer the higher tension because I'm a bit heavy-handed.

Light strings do tend to be a bit thinner tonally, but I never found it was anything a bit of judicious EQing wouldn't compensate for.

Jon.

Doctorofthebass uses very light gauge strings (30-90) on his Status. Still sounds huge, but crazy playability too.

Heavier gauge does give you better tone there's no doubt, but I find the difference is more noticeable on guitar, particularly acoustic. However, saying that, once you're amplified I find you can compensate for this 'lack of tone' by adjusting your touch and eq.

FWIW, I prefer (30)-40-60-80-100 on my basses. I also like 10s on my acoustic and electric guitars. I may be a wuss but I still sound great :)

Mark

No there is nothing wrong with using light strings. Anybody who tells you otherwise is imo pretty sad. It shouldn't be about what other people thing of what you're playing, it should be about what you want to play? I say try out a set, see if you like the sound and feel. If not, then go back to normal strings or maybe try medium light strings instead.

I used to use extra light Superwound 30 - 90s on my Jaydee back in my pathetic funky white boy days.
The main reason I started using heavier strings was I found the extra lights a bit too bendy & floppy as I'd moved back toward playing heavier music with a pick & preferred the extra tension that 45 - 105s gave me. Soundwise I didn't really notice that much difference.

So long as you adjust the neck to compensate for the light strings you'll have no problems.

Geddy Lee & Mark King both used to use 30 - 90s.
Jeff Berlin is an advocate of using very light strings too.

I used 30s for quite a few years, esp when I was playing a lot of Rush covers. I was playing galloping Iron Maiden on them at the same time and it sounded good.

After a stint in Andorra my hands got really strong so I moved up to 40s - the sound was quite different: I suspect the sheer increase in the amount of steel flying through those magnetic fields meant I got a fatter tone (bliss - a Trace Elliot V4 combo, wicked sounding amp) which was nice.

Having got back, I have managed to stay on 40s but I do keep a 4-string fretted string with 30s which is great fun to push around like putty. I can see why claypool strings that way, all that strumming and hammering can be done quite dextrously at low gauge.

Horses for courses as usual I guess - if you can make it sound good, and it doesn't kill you hands, use it!

Nothing wrong with extra lights; they don't do it for me, but that's me. If they work for you, by definition they're a good set.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='520578' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:40 AM']If anyone thinks any less of me for using low tension strings I couldn't give a flying feck and I envy them that they don't have anything more important to worry about. :)[/quote]
+1 Do your thing, that's what matters. Anything that helps you in that direction gets my vote.

[quote name='basexperience' post='520648' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:22 PM']I suspect the sheer increase in the amount of steel flying through those magnetic fields meant I got a fatter tone (bliss - a Trace Elliot V4 combo, wicked sounding amp) which was nice.[/quote]

This is pretty much true. The bigger surface area of the strings means you get more volume, but you have to put more energy in to get that extra volume. Also more low end is produced because of like the inertia and how that affects the ability to produce various frequencies of standing waves and all that sort of stuff.

[quote name='crez5150' post='520777' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:33 PM']that's not true..... I use 30-115 and detune down a tone..... no problem...[/quote]

I'm impressed - I used to detune the 30s I ran with a semitone (well, the 90 E anyway) but more than that, and I used a rather good pitch shifter instead... mind you, I tend to really dig in to strings.

[quote name='basexperience' post='520782' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:39 PM']I'm impressed - I used to detune the 30s I ran with a semitone (well, the 90 E anyway) but more than that, and I used a rather good pitch shifter instead... mind you, I tend to really dig in to strings.[/quote]

Although I should mention I use Status basses..... the necks tend not to move....

Timmy C uses a B string between 110 and 120 for recording/playing live.
I prefer fairly light strings but then struggle like hell with faster stuff if the string's flopping about all over the place.
In standard tuning I use 40-100, Eb I use 45-105. In Delerium we use D-tuning with some songs in drop C. A 50-110 set does fine but I'd go no lighter for the C string.

[quote name='SteveK' post='520625' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:50 AM']Personally, my right hand fingers prefer a heavier gauge, while my left fingers prefer a slightly lighter gauge.[/quote]

I find that too, and the same when using a pick. My right hand likes 45s, but my left doesn't.

FWIW, players who use light strings:

Mark King = 30-90 IIRC
Les Claypool = 2x40s, 2x60s last I heard
Stu Zender = 35-95 (don't know if they still are)
Joey DeMaio = 40,50,60,70
Stanley Clarke = think he used to use 35-95 on his regular basses, could be wrong; piccolos probably much thinner, although I also think he probably changed his mind a lot...

Our very own Urb is using a 30 set I believe. I've played his Sei singlecut and it sounds and plays fabulously. A lot of it has to do with how the individual player strikes the strings; whatever works for you.

Edited by 4000

I've been using light strings for years and I've always thought I was being a bit of a wimp but having sorted out this little endorsement with D'Addario I got to try a whole load of differnt gauges, both steel and nickel coated, and the end result is that I've found I really like extra light 30-110 on my five string but 35-95 on my new four string. In practice I've found that with the bass turned up and EQed correctly you can get a really great sound, good technique helps too, I find my 'ghost notes' pop out more because there's more flexibilty in the strings, while heavy gauges really restrict your dexterity on the low part of the neck, as when playing low notes on a tricky bass line.

I came to the conclusion a few years ago that I just don't see the point in making life hard for yourself? As long as you have a good useable tone and feel free to play the way you want to, I don't think it matters. Two of my favourite players, Michael Manring and Franc O'Shea, use very light strings and they sound amazing :)