Why become a member? ×

Bands - who needs 'em?

niceguyhomer

I'm giving serious thought to bringing my long and undistinguished gigging career to an end. Since Nice Guy Eddie split earlier this year I've not had much luck bandwise. First I joined a bullshit band in Manchester who had a 'world-famous in Oldham' front man who made it to the latter stages of X-Factor and thought (pub) musicians should be able to play any song at the drop of a hat live without rehearsing them first ...er nice easy songs like Roseanna (Toto) New York Minute (Don Henley) - he also goes out solo with backing tapes.

After a couple of train wrecks, I walked away from that nonsense.

I then heard about a newly formed blues band playing original stuff and I thought ..hello. Went to Manchester again and did the audition and got the job. That was in March. Since then we've got together once ...yes once to record a demo, which sounds very good. I should say that a lot of the problems we have getting together are for valid reasons.

Anyway, we have our 'launch gig' on August 6th followed shortly after by spot on the British Stage at Colne Blues festival ' followed by a big gig in Chester. We currently have 5 songs and ideas for about 15 more - remember this is an originals band.

So...I'm off to Crete for 2 weeks next Tuesday (I told them in March) - another band member booked his holidays last week- for the two weeks after I come back, which gives a short window of about 10 days to write / learn / rehearse enough songs to do 90 minutes.

We have two chances - Bob Hope and no hope.

I'm so p155ed off with it all, I'm thinking of hanging up my boots and giving up gigging for good. I'll still keep a bass to play along to my Tascam but I'm gonna give it some thought while I'm away.

Right now it's not looking favourable and I wouldn't besurprised if my gear's up for sale in 3 weeks time.

Sorry for the miserable post, I had to sound off.

Edited by niceguyhomer

I feel for you, man.

When my 'main' band split earlier this year, it left a hell of a big hole which I suppose I'm still trying to fill.

Since then, thankfully, I've been able to work often with people who are as enthusiastic as I am. It must be frustrating to look forward to something only to end up playing with dreamers and lazy gets.

But don't worry! There are enthusiastic people out there. Take a break for a while.. something will come up that's right for YOU.

Whatever you do.. don't sell your stuff.

Enjoy your holiday, and good luck with it all!

Don't throw in the towel (or sell your stuff). WoT is absolutely bang on - there will be others out there who share your enthusiasm, attitude and beliefs.

In between times, IMHO you should try the 'crash learning' of those songs in the 10 days as you never know, under pressure, you may be amazed at what you can all do.

Keep the faith, mate.
You can do the gig. If it's blues orginals you can sort the starts and ends and wing the rest. No one will know if you are doing it right or wrong.

Never sell your gear when depressed. Wait 'til you are happy and sorted and fullfilled.

[quote name='OldGit' post='517159' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:10 AM']Keep the faith, mate.
You can do the gig. If it's blues orginals you can sort the starts and ends and wing the rest. No one will know if you are doing it right or wrong.

Never sell your gear when depressed. Wait 'til you are happy and sorted and fullfilled.[/quote]
Wise words from the Very Old One there. Never eBay when drunk, or sell kit when fed up. Sooner or later you sober up/cheer up and then regret doing it.
Stick with it, big man, it'll all come good. If not this one, then the next one. Don't hang up those boots for good.

That's the one problem with Basschat. You find all these people that would be really great to play in a band with, and they all play bass!

As has been said though, don't sell your gear when down - I made that mistake a while ago and took a long time to come back to it.

Nah, don't chuck it all in. I've just had about 10 months of the usual waste of time idiots before I found a decent band again. Take a break from it for sure, but don't sell your gear. I had similar thoughts about 10 years ago, sold all my gear ( Jd basses and Trace rig) only to spend a fortune getting set back up again a year later. :)

It's a nightmare Al, I have to agree, and I'm in a similar boat at this time.

I've been close to jacking it in altogether a few times, and like you, I was going to keep one bass and jam along to CDs at home through my Tascam and phones, just for my own pleasure. Sometimes I feel I get as much enjoyment from doing that than rehearsing week in week out, with a gig or two once a month.

My problem is that we rehearse almost every week, but as we're all busy at work, we don't have time to go out looking for gigs (lame excuse, I know), or more to the point can't be arsed, and we don't gig enough, making rehearsing a chore. One of the band is a copper and works shifts, and regularly has to cancel gigs and jams at the last minute.

However, I always come back to wanting to play live, and it just aint the same playing at home. I think my problem is I'm bored with playing rock music, something I've always done. I need a new challenge, and I'm hankering for either a soul/funk band or a reggae outfit to join. I'm bored to death with rock.

Also, the stuff you played us round at Pete's place a couple of weeks ago, the blues band you're in, was pure class, really really cool music, and well worth hanging in there for in my opinion, even if it is sporadic.

Who knows where it'll all end, all I know is, I've tried to jack music in, on numerous occasions, and failed. I love it too much. Hang in there.

No need to sell all your gear. I'm mostly a bedroom player at the moment (I occasionally chip in with a band I know) and I have three basses! .They're my chill-out toys! :) ^_^

My favourite thing to do at the moment is to surf around Spotify (which is awesome) and play along to random tunes.

Edited by rjb

You've just been unlucky, that's all. I know where you're coming from - I need people around me who are at least as dedicated to the band as I am or I'd get really hacked off. Life sometimes gets in the way, rehearsals sometimes need to be cancelled, but it should be the exception, not the norm.

Ultimately, if it's not right for you, get out - but only of the band, not the business of bass as a whole!

i'm 'between bands' at the moment, and to be honest i'm enjoying the lack of hassle in my life...although it has left quite a gap in my life.

i'm trying to concentrate on writing new music for myself and getting my head round fretless.

i am keeping ym eyes open for band stuff to do, but i think i'm going to be very selective about what i go for.

so what i'm trying to say is....don't give up and don't flog everything !!

interests wax and wane and i'm sure you'll a lot more bass-centric soon.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='517151' date='Jun 18 2009, 08:59 AM']I feel for you, man.

When my 'main' band split earlier this year, it left a hell of a big hole which I suppose I'm still trying to fill.

Since then, thankfully, I've been able to work often with people who are as enthusiastic as I am. It must be frustrating to look forward to something only to end up playing with dreamers and lazy gets.

But don't worry! There are enthusiastic people out there. Take a break for a while.. something will come up that's right for YOU.

Whatever you do.. don't sell your stuff.

Enjoy your holiday, and good luck with it all![/quote]

+1

Sounds like you need a break - I'd done the same band in different guises/line-ups for about 4 years and got exactly nowhere with it - typically after first joining on the promiss of label interest / good management - yes those old chestnuts!

After that fizzled out I made a decision to just play the music I wanted to play after that - in my case funk, jazz and world music stuff - and while there are still quiet periods and plenty of ups and downs, I'm so much happier as a bass player and feel like I'm actually playing music I love, believe in and in turn it's actually improved my playing too.

Hang in there - don't sell your gear as if you suddenly get your enthusiasm back you'll only have to buy it all over again! Maybe that would be fun though... :)

Good luck, chill out and don't think about it too much

Cheers

Mike

Interesting diversity of opinion and experience in the OP and follow-ups here. Personally, I gave up gigs and bands almost twenty years ago (after about 15 years of heavy gigging - some 'names', some nearly names and a truckload of wannabes) and have never looked back. I play only for my own pleasure and fulfilment now and enjoy it immensely.

Firstly Al I hope you have a great holiday, and I'm sure you will find a more suitable band when you get back.
I don't want to labour the point BUT, you know my opinion of this particular band.
Over confidence is something that makes them presume that they can get away without putting the necessary time in.
I know that you are VERY meticulous in your own standards of rehearsal, performance and sound and are way too conscientious for them.
You know I had a similar experience with a like minded friend of theirs, and had to reluctantly abort a dep gig recently.
Nil Desperandum old chap, kick em into touch and move on, put it down to experience.
Hope it works out for you mate.

Cameron

This is the exact reason I dont really "do" bands any more. Sick of all the crap and politics that comes with it. I learned this the hard way from my last originals band, me and my best mate (front man) were the only people in the band pulling our own wieght and actually trying to get somewhere where as the rest of them were pretty much all talk. I much prefer to be the musical mercenary for want of a better term because there's no "we want to get signed and do a world tour" bullsh*t. You just turn up, play, get paid and go home! If they like you they'll hire you again. That'll do for me!

Mind you to look at the flip side of the coin I wouldnt turn away from playing live cos going back to bedroom playing will just frustrate you after a while because you'll want to play with real musicians again. I took about 6 months out of playing after I left uni just to give myself a break (I studied music) and by the end of that time I would have killed for a gig. Maybe give yourself a break from bands and start going down to some jam nights instead. If blues is your thing and you're not too far from Manchester then I think Matt and Phreds still do a blues jam every other Monday night, maybe check it out?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='517261' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:14 AM']Maybe two weeks in Crete'll cheer me up. :)[/quote]

Al, reflecting on it all in Crete is a great idea.
I know exactly how you feel and had the very same conversation with Nick recently. I jacked the pub band in for the same reason NGE folded. Hacked off with the same material week in week out. Very heavy gigging schedule etc. etc.
Also it enabled me to concentrate on the Function band. Then we made a fatal mistake taking on a Female Singer who really pi55ed us around and that imploded.
There was one important piece of info that Dave Marks imparted at last years Bass Day, "always try to play with people you like."
So 3 guys i have played together with On and Off for the last 40 years are back together.
Hard work starting from scratch, but well worth it with right people.

Incidently, the superstar from oldham isn't called Jim is he?