Why become a member? ×

Who? Me?

Bilbo

I've got a jazz gig with Nic France on Monday. He's played with Allan Holdsworth, Jim Mullen, Ronnie Scott, Ian Carr's Nucleus, Loose Tubes, Kenny Wheeler, John Taylor, Andy Sheppard, Hank Crawford, David 'Fathead' Newman, Mose Allison, L. Shankar, Bill Withers, Pete Townsend, Jools Holland and Annie Lennox, Billy Cobham, Terry Callier and Pink Floyd's David Gilmour ('David Gilmour Live' DVD).

Not that I am nervous or anything :)

Its the Anglia Ruskin University Jazz Singers bash in Cambridge. I think every other bass player in East Anglia must be busy that day. I am just looking forward to playing with a great, great drummer and seeing if I can deliver at this level. Should be interesting, one way or the other.

I know the feeling! I'm playing this sunday with a drummer who's about to go on tour in a band called 'capital' supporting athlete for 8 gigs.. O.o
I've also played with many other musicians much more talented than me by a VERY noticable amount!.. and I'm only 15. it's scarey, but I'm really glad you're getting gigs with really decent musicians!! Good luck

[quote name='The Funk' post='501380' date='May 30 2009, 02:31 AM']You'll... [i]walk[/i] it.

No? Did that weak pun not even register? -_-[/quote]

The force is weak in that one :)

Good luck tho Bilbo! Break a leg, just not your fingers!

That went ok. We had to play for 7 different graduating jazz singers (Anglia Ruskin University) and I had to learn 34 tunes/arrangements in a two hour rehearsal - hurrah for dots, I say!! :)

It was great becasue Nic and Chris Ingham (the pianist/arranger) were 100% on the money so, as a result, I was able to relax and just nail the gig. I missed a couple of odds and sods (the odd coda and a couple of endings were imperfect) but basically I did a professional job. Nic is half way through a tour with Terri Callier and Chris plays with Claire Teal and some other name vocalists so I feel like I have had a valuable experience.

On the downside, my soudn was not what I wanted (should have used the Eden) and the room was unforgiving but, otherwise, a good night.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='503554' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:43 AM']That went ok. We had to play for 7 different graduating jazz singers (Anglia Ruskin University) and I had to learn 34 tunes/arrangements in a two hour rehearsal - hurrah for dots, I say!! :rolleyes:

It was great becasue Nic and Chris Ingham (the pianist/arranger) were 100% on the money so, as a result, I was able to relax and just nail the gig. I missed a couple of odds and sods (the odd coda and a couple of endings were imperfect) but basically I did a professional job. Nic is half way through a tour with Terri Callier and Chris plays with Claire Teal and some other name vocalists so I feel like I have had a valuable experience.

On the downside, my soudn was not what I wanted (should have used the Eden) and the room was unforgiving but, otherwise, a good night.[/quote]

34 tunes in two hours, that's mind numbingly impresive ! glad the gig went well, great CV stuff too :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='503554' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:43 AM']I missed a couple of odds and sods (the odd coda and a couple of endings were imperfect)[/quote]

But there aint no Coda in Jazz...

Charlie parker dies and goes to hell, and the devil greets him at the gate saying, 'hey, man, hell's been getting a bad rap, it ain't so bad, check this out!" he gives bird a solid gold sax, and brings him to a session where all the best players who ever lived are burning through a smokin' chart ... and the first chair is empty. bird sits down to play, thinkin' "hmm, ya know, this sh*t ain't so bad after all!" they read through the chart, go back to the top, read through the chart again, go back to the top, bird turns to the guy sitting next to him and says "hey man, where's the coda?"

and the guy says mournfully "no coda, man" ...
:)

But then you knew that Bilbo.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Guest subaudio

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='503554' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:43 AM']That went ok. We had to play for 7 different graduating jazz singers (Anglia Ruskin University) and I had to learn 34 tunes/arrangements in a two hour rehearsal - hurrah for dots, I say!! :)

On the downside, my soudn was not what I wanted (should have used the Eden) and the room was unforgiving but, otherwise, a good night.[/quote]

As one hungry to get into playing Jazz but with no knowledge of playing in that style in a band, could I ask when you say hurrah for dots, were the B lines scored out or were you reading from a chord chart or a mix of both?

Edited by subaudio